Profile Evaluation/Opinions

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Profile Evaluation/Opinions

by chitown84 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:41 pm
Hi All,

I am considering applying full time for an MBA program and I would very much appreciate any advice or opinions on my chances as well as thought process.

About me:

Male, 30 years old, white.

GMAT- have not taken, but I took a few practice exams and ranged from 690-720. I am a strong test taker and feel that I can certainly crack 700 in the real deal.

GPA- Graduated in 2008 from a state school with a finance/accounting degree and a 3.0 GPA. Simply put, I did not have the time that most students did as I worked part time throughout and was a much different (read: immature) worker than I am now.

Work experience- coming up on seven years in the financial services industry, alternative investment asset servicing (middle/back office.) I have a very strong track record of promotions- I managed people (teams ranged from 2-8 reports) for 5 years and did all the requisite hiring, firing, and development of human capital. My most recent promotion was to a much more visible role within my firm, where I no longer have direct reports but instead work on the business side and manage several key client relationships. While I no longer have direct reports, my level of responsibility has increased exponentially. My path at this point would be to move into a business development-type role. I started out in the back office of a financial conglomerate in a small city, did a mid-term overseas assignment, and networked my way to a big city where I am now. My salary has increased significantly over the years (approximately 160%)

Extra curricular- I am active in my firm's community service group where I initiated and organized many fund raising activities, and I am an active member of a non-work sponsored mentor program.

Other achievements- I am active physically, run some marathons, etc. Running a triathlon this summer. CFA Level 2 candidate (more on this below.)

Now, as far as why I want to apply FT- interestingly enough, I was pretty set on a path into portfolio management and/or business development which is why I started the CFA program. I do have a passion for finance, and the CFA was equal parts hobby and career driven (it is not required in my current role.) As I progressed through the first level and now into level 2, I reignited a spark for learning that I have not felt for the last few years- I got pretty comfortable with a (low) six figure income and great work/life balance and sort of put off the MBA in favor of an EMBA down the road. Now that I am starting to feel the draw of learning again, I am right on the cusp of being a tad too old for a full time MBA and have started considering applying in the fall a finance heavy program (Booth is my target.) While I enjoy my current role, I am again finding myself drawn to the learning and the networking that comes with a full time program. This is not driven by financial motivation as much as it is a desire to learn from others and challenge myself outside of the corporate world.

In terms of my application- I think there are a few strong points:

-Work experience. While it's not a prestigious role, I think that given where I started (and when- 2008 crisis) I have made a nice progression that is based on my work ethic, personal brand and leadership skills.

-I have one senior person I could get a great letter of recommendation from- someone who has worked with me professionally and charitably.

-GMAT. Although I can't really say much now because I haven't taken it, I am a very strong test taker. I took the GRE coming out of school and was close to the 95th percentile in math and verbal without much effort. I'm confident this would be above 700, maybe close to 740-750.

Now, the weaknesses:

-Demographic- 30, white, male. Not much to say there.

-Other letter of recommendation would probably have to be from my most recent former boss... my current one would be quite unhappy knowing that I would be applying FT. Part time would be an easy ask, though.

-Age. Although I'm not sure I am TOO old, I think I am on the border.

-Future plans. Even I am not 100% sure what I want to do, and I almost wonder if the CFA program would work against me ("why are you applying if you are interested in PM?)

I have definitely considered part time, and would be on board with that except for the fact that my current employer has a very meager tuition reimbursement plan with a nasty clawback attached to it. Frankly, I don't love the firm I work for and would probably want to get out. And it goes without saying that part of the reason I want to go back is to explore other career paths outside of my current one.

I am interested to hear any opinions on the strengths/weaknesses of my profile as well as my rationale for applying- all input is appreciated.

Thanks!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:332 members

by Jon@Admissionado » Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:19 am
Hey dude,

So first of all, you are not too old! (that starts to happen when you start to hit 32/33 which is about... ahem.. nevermind.. ) But seriously, 30 is fine. Try not to delay another year though :)

So the GMAT will be HUGE for you. You know that, so I won't bother with it too much only to say that try and schedule your exam with enough time so that that if things don't go exaaaactly the way you want, you have enough wiggle room for a retake.

On the strong side: You have good work experience in a perfect industry, some volunteer work, and what looks to be a promising GMAT score.

The weaknesses are: state school with low GPA. Back/middle office work (okay not a real weakness, but let's say it's not as good as some other stuff).

I think that if you ace that GMAT that should put you up there to be competitive in about roughly the 10-20 range, which is great cause there are some awesome finance schools in that range, and they can help get you go where you need to.

Your rationale is totally sound, and in your situation FT seems to make sense - this is where you can take that big leap and try something new, which seems to be your goal.

The CFA is only an advantage as it makes you more hireable.

And that's that. I hope I've answered all your questions. And if not, shoot some more back to me,

Best,
JF
"Hands down the best MBA admissions consulting firm of all-time, and boy, what an incredible founder!" -- Raj Patil, Founder of Admissionado

Something for everyone:
https://admissionado.lpages.co/admissio ... nter-2018/
https://admissionado.lpages.co/50-essay ... ked-vol-4/
https://admissionado.lpages.co/case-studies-lp/
https://admissionado.com/mba/reviews/
https://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Admis ... 700945.htm

Reach out, and let's gab. Our only requirement is that you don't prefer warm milk over cold milk. Everyone else, 100% welcome.
Email: [email protected]
Phone: 866-409-4753
Hit us up on WhatsApp.
Ping our satellite: 0884#&@-2#101101
Contact us via web form you lazy git: https://admissionado.com/contact/
Mostly, email Claudia.