U.S. constitution

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

U.S. constitution

by j_shreyans » Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:28 am
Even though the original text of the U.S. Constitution, adopted in 1787, mandated that any U.S. president or senator must be an American citizen, but the Constitution did not contain a definition of citizenship itself until the Fourteenth Amendment was ratified on July 28, 1868.

A)Even though the original text of the U.S. Constitution, adopted in 1787, mandated that any U.S. president or senator must be an American citizen, but the Constitution did not contain a definition of citizenship itself until the Fourteenth Amendment was ratified on July 28, 1868.

B)The original text of the U.S. Constitution, which was adopted in 1787, specifies any U.S. president or senator who must be an American citizen, although the Constitution did not actually define citizenship until the ratification of the Fourteenth Amendment on July 28, 1868.

C)In the original text of the U.S. Constitution that was adopted in 1787, it is specified that any U.S. president or senator be an American citizen; an actual definition, however, did not exist until the Fourteenth Amendment was ratified on July 28, 1868.

D)When the U.S. Constitution was adopted in 1787, its original text specified that any U.S. president or senator must be an American citizen, but that citizenship itself would not be defined until the ratification of the Fourteenth Amendment on July 28, 1868.

E)Although the original text of the U.S. Constitution, adopted in 1787, mandates that any U.S. president or senator be an American citizen, citizenship itself was not actually defined in the Constitution until July 28, 1868, when the Fourteenth Amendment was ratified.

Please explain me each options.

Thanks,

Shreyans

Legendary Member
Followed by:128 members
GMAT Score:770

by DavidG@VeritasPrep » Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:46 am
A) Even though the original text of the U.S. Constitution, adopted in 1787, mandated that any U.S. president or senator must be an American citizen, but the Constitution did not contain a definition of citizenship itself until the Fourteenth Amendment was ratified on July 28, 1868.
Here we have two clauses connected by two conjunctions. I can write, "Even though I work out regularly, I am in terrible shape." Or I can write, "I work out regularly, but I am in terrible shape." It is not correct to write, "Even though I work out regularly, but I am in terrible shape."

B)The original text of the U.S. Constitution, which was adopted in 1787, specifies any U.S. president or senator who must be an American citizen, although the Constitution did not actually define citizenship until the ratification of the Fourteenth Amendment on July 28, 1868.
The text doesn't specify a president. It specifies that a president must be a U.S. citizen. No good.

C)In the original text of the U.S. Constitution that was adopted in 1787, it is specified that any U.S. president or senator be an American citizen; an actual definition, however, did not exist until the Fourteenth Amendment was ratified on July 28, 1868.
The Constitution that was adopted in 1787? As opposed to Constitutions that were adopted in other years? What does the "it" refer to? An actual definition of what?

D)When the U.S. Constitution was adopted in 1787, its original text specified that any U.S. president or senator must be an American citizen, but that citizenship itself would not be defined until the ratification of the Fourteenth Amendment on July 28, 1868.
This makes it sound as though the Constitution predicted in 1787 that the 14th Amendment would be ratified on July 28, 1868. It would be pretty cool if the Founding Fathers were able to predict the future with such uncanny precision, but not likely the sentence's intended meaning.
E)Although the original text of the U.S. Constitution, adopted in 1787, mandates that any U.S. president or senator be an American citizen, citizenship itself was not actually defined in the Constitution until July 28, 1868, when the Fourteenth Amendment was ratified.

Correct
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:02 am
j_shreyans wrote:Even though the original text of the U.S. Constitution, adopted in 1787, mandated that any U.S. president or senator must be an American citizen, but the Constitution did not contain a definition of citizenship itself until the Fourteenth Amendment was ratified on July 28, 1868.

A)Even though the original text of the U.S. Constitution, adopted in 1787, mandated that any U.S. president or senator must be an American citizen, but the Constitution did not contain a definition of citizenship itself until the Fourteenth Amendment was ratified on July 28, 1868.

In A, mandated and must are redundant.
Eliminate A.

B: The original text...specifies any U.S. president.
Not the intended meaning.
The text specifies not the president himself but something REQUIRED of the president:
that the president must be an American citizen.
Eliminate B.

C: the U.S. Constitution that was adopted in 1787
This wording implies that there are OTHER U.S. CONSTITUTIONS and that the sentence is discussing only the Constitution THAT WAS ADOPTED IN 1787.
Eliminate C.

D: its original text specified...that citizenship itself would not be defined...until 1868.
The text of the Constitution did not specify when citizenship would be defined.
Eliminate D.

The correct answer is E.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by aflaam » Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:10 pm
Is E written in subjunctive?

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:10 am
aflaam wrote:Is E written in subjunctive?
E: The original text...mandates that any U.S. president...be an American citizen.
This sentence employs the command subjunctive.
For an explanation of the command subjunctive, check my post here:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/propose-betw ... 74152.html
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by thang » Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:25 am
j_shreyans wrote:Even though the original text of the U.S. Constitution, adopted in 1787, mandated that any U.S. president or senator must be an American citizen, but the Constitution did not contain a definition of citizenship itself until the Fourteenth Amendment was ratified on July 28, 1868.

Please explain me each options.

Thanks,

look at choice b/
specifies president who is
there are two connection inhere
specified president and
who is.
let look at the first connection. this connection is not logic in context.
specify president. this connection is meaningless. an idea presented by a clause, that-clause, with sutbject and verb is logically to be object of the verb "mandate"
Shreyans
looking for the girl living in Bradford UK, visiting Halong bay, Vietnam on 26- 27 Jan 2014. all persons, pls, forward this message to all persons you know to help me find her: my email: [email protected], call: 84904812758