My first Six weeks of GMAT prep

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

My first Six weeks of GMAT prep

by soccerstar » Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:22 am
Hi there

I have been toying with the idea of an MBA for a couple of years now, so I finally decided to put in the effort and take the gmat. My current work schedule can be very hectic and I do not get much free time to study. But I figured I would give it my best shot, and know that I did all I could before taking the exam.

I took my first MGMAT CAT test on the 4th Jan 2015, and I scored 420 (Q19 V27). I decided that I needed to go back to the basics and give myself plenty of prep time. I brought the MGMAT 10 book series, the Kaplan Premier 2015 edition and follow the Magoosh 6 month study plan inc. the purchase of their premium account.

During the exam; one issue I found was that my timing was awful, I ended up guessing a total of 17 questions because I started to run out of time. I dd not really have good knowledge of short cuts and ended up taking the long way round to work out questions. But nevertheless, I decided to set aside time for myself and try it out.

After 6 weeks, I have completed the Arithmetic, fractions, percentages, ratios and integer properties from the quant section. Plus I have completed Parts of speech, intro to verb form, all the critical reasoning and the AWA modules from the verbal section. Through the Magoosh videos and practice questions.

I started an error log, and put more focus on the questions that I found difficult. Using the Magoosh practice questions, I found I had mixed results. Getting an average 50% of the Quant questions correct, and around 60% of the verbal questions.

I have taken another two practice tests since 1st Jan 2014 and I have detailed my experiences below:

2/15/2015 - 500 (Q32, V27) - still not great but glad to see an improvement. My timing again was not very good, as I ended guessing the last 7 quantitative questions. Again, I knew that I needed that to make sure that I was comfortable with the questions that I had covered, but I had not covered quite a few of the topics asked so I was not feeling too dejected. The verbal section did not really see much improvement so I need to make sure that I spend more time getting the CR questions correct. In the practice questions, I have been doing very well on the CR questions with the SC and RC questions bringing down my average. While I was going through the practice SC problems I do still struggle with some the questions, but I know I will get better with time and practice.

2/28/2015-420- (Q23, V24)- I was devastated when this popped up at the end of my exam. I went back through my answers, and I saw that I made so many basic errors. This was extremely disappointing. I do not really have much to say but I think that I will repeat the information learned in "Week 6" because I do not want to move on until I am better at the sections that I have covered in Quant and Verbal. The first set of questions in verbal was based on an RC passage. It took me 15 minutes to get through this and I was on the back foot from question 4. This lead to me again, rushing and making alot of basic mistakes.

Sorry for the long post - I just hope that I can continue to show the same signs of improvement like I did within the first 5 weeks, and keep going from there.

Any additional advice would be great?

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:33 pm
Hi soccerstar,

Before I offer any advice, I'd like to know a bit more about your timeline and goals:

1) What is your goal score?
2) When are you planning to take the GMAT?
3) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
4) What is your study schedule during a typical week?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

by soccerstar » Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:17 am
Hi Rich

Thanks for the reply.

My target score is 650

I am provisionally looking at July (if I am ready). I just want to make sure that I am ready. I do also have a couple of work projects that will severely impact my free time from Aug- Oct.

Ideally, 2016 entry but I am happy to delay to 2017 if things do not fall into place.

Mon - Fri -
Magoosh (per day)
Watch 3 or 4 vids (2 quant/ 2 verbal)
4-6 PS questions
2-3 ds questions
1 SC
1 CR

Books - Kaplan/MGMAT
3PS, 2DS, 2SC, 1CR questions; and review answers

It normally takes me about 1.5 - 2 hours to get through all of these.

Sat
Complete "day 6" assignment. It varies depending on what it is. Sometimes we need to 2x AWA essays, complete a IR practice test, review answers and make entries in our error log. This normally takes me about 2-2.5 hours depending on how much I need correct.

by soccerstar » Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:17 am
Hi Rich

Thanks for the reply.

My target score is 650

I am provisionally looking at July (if I am ready). I just want to make sure that I am ready. I do also have a couple of work projects that will severely impact my free time from Aug- Oct.

Ideally, 2016 entry but I am happy to delay to 2017 if things do not fall into place.

Mon - Fri -
Magoosh (per day)
Watch 3 or 4 vids (2 quant/ 2 verbal)
4-6 PS questions
2-3 ds questions
1 SC
1 CR

Books - Kaplan/MGMAT
3PS, 2DS, 2SC, 1CR questions; and review answers

It normally takes me about 1.5 - 2 hours to get through all of these.

Sat
Complete "day 6" assignment. It varies depending on what it is. Sometimes we need to 2x AWA essays, complete a IR practice test, review answers and make entries in our error log. This normally takes me about 2-2.5 hours depending on how much I need correct.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:59 am
Hi soccerstar,

You've given yourself plenty of time to study, which is good. Pacing issues are NOT isolated problems - they are the results of other issues. To improve your pacing, you have to improve other things first. It might be that you improve as you continue to study, but right now you should not be too concerned about your pacing. Focus on the learning the content, tactics and patterns of the GMAT.

Since you've already purchased some resources and have established a "routine", I'm not going to suggest that you change any of that just yet. I think that after one more month of working in this way, we'll know whether you're really improving or not (and that will total about 3 months of total time spent on the process). If you're not close to your goal by then, then some changes will need to be made. I will say that your score goal is reasonable, given your time-frame and work so far. The question is whether you're learning "to see" (and respond to) the GMAT in the proper ways.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

by thenesta_test » Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:28 am

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:13 members

by manyaabroadtpr » Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:10 am
Attend GMAT Live Online Demo Session

Topic: GMAT SC, CR and Quant Math overview and Problem Solving

Date: 8th March

Time: 2:00 PM - 5:00 PM

Register here Now: https://www.manyagroup.com/gmatvirtualdemo/

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:365 members

by VivianKerr » Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:07 pm
Hey Soccerstar (nice name you got there! big World Cup fan here :-)),

So my suggestion is you need to divide your Study Time into 3 sections: Content, Pacing, and Strategy.

"Content" can be subdivided into two groups: format and concepts. Obviously you know the format, so it's time to recognize patterns in your incorrect questions and fill in the gaps of your content knowledge quickly and effectively using questions specifically chosen from online resources like GMATClub, the OG, etc. What FORMAT of question do you miss the most often? What CONCEPTS do you miss the most often? What does your Error Log data tell you about how often you miss certain question types? Can you specifically pinpoint the "rule" that you didn't know that led to you getting the question incorrect?

"Strategy" is a word that can seem a bit intimidating, but it boils down to this: do you have a systematic approach to each question type? And, more importantly, does it work for you? 80% of my tutoring sessions involve some type of strategy overhaul. By strategy, I mean a written-out "Step 1 ... Step 2 ..." plan of attack: a process by which you get the correct answer over and over again once you know the concepts tested. Strategy is necessary to prevent you from missing the traps of harder questions. Low-scorers will sometimes skim reading comprehension passages, sometimes take notes, sometimes read the question-stem first, sometimes not, to mixed results. High-scorers know exactly how to attack an RC passage. If your strategy is not yielding above 90% accuracy when you work untimed, it needs to be stepped up and codified.

"Pacing" is arguably the toughest component of the exam. Theoretically, if we had unlimited time to take the GMAT, we should get 100% of the questions correct. Unfortunately, we're going to have to be accurate AND fast, and that definitely takes practice. Students who start increasing their pace immediately usually have weak strategy. Students who ignore pacing until three weeks before the exam are basically sweating bullets as they watch the timer click down. You need to create pacing drills that you can practice on your own (and not just individual questions, but groups of questions!), and you should set pacing benchmarks for each assigned practice test. Remember: pacing is not just something that you only practice on full-length practice tests!

It's so awesome you're doing an Error Log already. Right now, I wouldn't worry so much about whatever "score" your practice CATs are shooting out at you. I'd be identifying your Content/Pacing/Strategy weaknesses clearly, and attack them systematically. Don't try to do everything all the time. 3-4 concepts a week is fine if you've got some Content gaps! :-)
Vivian Kerr
GMAT Rockstar, Tutor
https://www.GMATrockstar.com
https://www.yelp.com/biz/gmat-rockstar-los-angeles

Former Kaplan and Grockit instructor, freelance GMAT content creator, now offering affordable, effective, Skype-tutoring for the GMAT at $150/hr. Contact: [email protected]

Thank you for all the "thanks" and "follows"! :-)

by soccerstar » Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:47 am
Hi Vivian (haha, yea I still try to play when I have the time. It is good to have an outlet)

These are really good points that you raised...

Looking at my error log; most of the errors are due to me not identifying the method that I need to work out the question in time. This is a mix of all three of the areas that you mentioned below (content, strategy and time). In these cases I end up guessing an answer, and hope for the best. Perhaps, this should change the way in which I tackle the questions. Try and answer each question type using each one of the sections as you have mentioned, and then attempt all three. Infact this would be really helpful.

I have a strategy for AWA, CR and DS. I find it useful for AWA, CR and DS questions, but I am yet to find a suitable strategy for SC,PS and RC. RC is a different case because I am a slow reader (have been since school). So I do really struggle with this section and timing. I am sure that I just need to continue to practice. I did attempt 3 RC questions without focusing on time, and I got the questions correct. Any advise on this?

The remainder of of the practice questions, have really focused on time.I am certain, if I should change this tactic to include content and strategy, then I will continue to see more improvements in the next six weeks.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:365 members

by VivianKerr » Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:00 am
Hey,

So, definitely sounds like you need some stronger strategy. Especially with RC as well. Yes, "practice" helps, but it's HOW you practice that matters! When you answer problems, you are programming yourself and you will REPEAT what you practice. If you are not doing the problems in a way that is yielding you consistent correct answers (above 90% accuracy), then you need to re-evaluate your approach. There's not much that can be gleaned from getting 3 RC questions correct. You need to do a LOT more and then gather data on your incorrect questions (ex: WHY are you getting them wrong? what keywords are you missing? did you go back to the passage or not? what TYPES of questions are they?). RC strategy is a bit too much to go into here, but here's how I'd suggest you approach SC in general since that was another question-type you mentioned.

Step 1 - Read Choice (A) and Identify One Grammar or Meaning Error

Since we know that a sentence with a grammatical error or an illogical meaning can NEVER be correct on the GMAT, try to identify and name ONE specific error you see. It may seem like there are several things "wrong" with the sentence, so choose the error you feel the most confident about, and write it down on your scratch paper. For example, maybe you think the meaning might be illogical, the sentence overall is awkwardly constructed, and there is an incorrect comparison. You might choose to go with the comparison error first.

What if there is no error in (A)? If (A) seems correct to you, or you cannot spot a grammar or meaning error, feel free to search for a style error. If you feel there is one, such as redundancy or passive voice, make a note of it next to letter "A" on your scratch pad, but DO NOT CROSS IT OFF YET. Remember, a style error doesn't make an option automatically incorrect. It only makes it less likely to be correct. Once you've done this, move on to (B) and look for an identifiable grammar or meaning error. If (A) is correct, then (B) must contain an error.

Step 2 - Scan the Other Choices; Eliminate Error #1

Do any of the other 4 choices contain that same error? If so, quickly cross them out.

Step 3 - Move to the Next Available Choice; Look for Error #2

If you have more than one choice left, repeat the process. Move to the next choice remaining and look for an identifiable grammar or meaning error. If none exists, feel free to look for a style error and make a note of it next to the letter on your scratch pad. Once you've identified a grammar or meaning error, cross off the letter of that answer choice, and the letters of any other answer choices that contain the same error. Repeat as needed.

Step 4 - Stuck Between Two? Eliminate Based on Style

On a difficult Sentence Correction, you may find yourself narrowed down to two answer choices that both seem grammatically correct and both have logical meanings. Which one does the GMAT prefer? The answer: the clearest, most concise option. If one choice appears to have awkwardness or wordiness or passive voice, select the other option. All grammar being equal, the GMAT rewards clarity.

Feel free to email me if you have additional questions!

Best,
Vivian
Vivian Kerr
GMAT Rockstar, Tutor
https://www.GMATrockstar.com
https://www.yelp.com/biz/gmat-rockstar-los-angeles

Former Kaplan and Grockit instructor, freelance GMAT content creator, now offering affordable, effective, Skype-tutoring for the GMAT at $150/hr. Contact: [email protected]

Thank you for all the "thanks" and "follows"! :-)

by soccerstar » Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:18 pm
Thanks Vivian

Yes, I do eliminate each answer for SC and make a little note as to why it was not correct. In the answers I do not get correct. I make a note as to why it was wrong, so I can learn from my mistakes.

I have tried to follow the same approach for RC but I tend to find it harder. I do need to go back and revisit where I am going wrong and correct it. Naturally, I do need to spend much more time on RC and I will as my study plan progresses. I would be daft to assume RC expert after 3 questions :)

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:13 members

by manyaabroadtpr » Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:40 pm
Hi Soccerstar,

The RC passages require that you are able to understand the words used in the context of the passage.Hence it would be best if you start reading articles, science journals , business tabloids and read them online and figure out for yourself if you can understand the language and the main idea present in the passage. This would considerably improve your vocabulary on the GMAT as well.

All the best.