Question about switching jobs

Launched January 9, 2010
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Question about switching jobs

by jaw5xs » Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:19 pm
I am currently working for a smaller commercial real estate firm as a financial analyst focused on Acquisitions & Asset Management of office buildings. I have been in this position for 2 years. My boss left the company a few months ago and now I report directly to one of the partners. Annual reviews are coming up and I wanted to negotiate my position/salary so I applied to some jobs as backups in case it didn't work out the way I wanted. I ended up getting a position as an Associate at Deloitte in their Real Estate Advisory Group. If I took the position at Deloitte, the position would start in the fall, a little before I applied to business school.

Would it look bad to switch jobs right as I'm applying or will a bigger name like Deloitte look better on my application?

Thanks for the help

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:5 members

by Dozie@VeritasPrep » Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:11 pm
Thanks for sharing your profile. Congrats on securing a role at a great firm like Deloitte. I don't think it will necessarily look bad starting a new job as you begin application season, that challenge is more on your side than anything else. Starting a new job and putting your best foot forward while applying should be the greater concern, I don't think admissions will see it as a negative and will most likely see it as a positive if the role is showing the type of growth that one could expect.

So I think you should be in good shape as long as you are confident you can handle the timing yourself.

Hope this helps!
Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who's right for you. Meet our team!
Register for a free MBA Admissions Workshop!