Just finished undergrad, communication major

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hello

What advice could you give someone who just finished their undergrad studies? I would like to go to a top-10 business school.

Background on me:
- top-50 university
- 3.4 GPA, 3.8 "major GPA" (4.0 in my last 2 semesters if that helps)
- student athlete - captain of a team that won an NCAA championship
- community service: visiting survivors of pediatric cancer with my teammates and playing games/activities to rebuild fun childhood memories of which cancer robbed them.
- internship experience in marketing, project management, analytics, and management consulting (organizational behavior/leadership, small company in my city, but very hands-on)

Going forward:
- take marketing consulting role at digital ad agency in my city- the specific agency I'm with is one of the fastest growing agencies in the US. There are not many "feeder" companies in my city, but consulting seems to be the plurality of fields from which top-10 b-schools pull.
- 1 year out, start my own business on the side of what my full-time job would be, for both financial benefits and experience.
- 2-3 years out, work for feeder company. Preferably in a consulting role, but this is not as realistic as an internal role in a big consulting firm, so I'm managing expectations. I would consider staying with my current company if I am showing strong leadership, growth, and extreme success, which is possible based on how fast the company is growing.
- 3-4 years out, study for the GMAT. I WILL get above 700, I don't care what anyone says.

Thanks

- Padawan

GMAT/MBA Expert

Legendary Member
Followed by:52 members

by CriticalSquareMBA » Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:52 am
Hi Padawan,

Thanks for sharing your profile. Looks like you've had a great undergraduate experience! Let's look at what you can work on over the next 3-4 years before you apply. As far as your academic profile is concerned, your GPA is a bit low for a top ten, so I would even aim to hit 720+ on your GMAT. Consulting is a great option and direct client interaction will help build your experience, but as far as "feeder" companies go, not all consulting firms will serve as that. In your organization, be sure to focus on developing yourself, taking on more responsibility, and leading teams on client engagements.

Starting your own business would be great, and more power to you if you can manage all of the above - just be sure that you're not overextending yourself by dipping your toes in too many areas. Focus is often underrated. What about involvement? Your on-campus activities in undergrad were great, but you'll need something else. Starting early is key here to demonstrate your commitment to something over an extended period of time. Find something you're passionate about and that fits you well. This makes it 10x easier to stick with it and ultimately take some leadership roles.

[Check out this free resource on what adcoms look for!]

Hope this information helps and best of luck with everything,

Bhavik
Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Facebook | Twitter

We love helping! Was this post helpful to you? Thank us and let me know!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:13 members

by manyaabroadtpr » Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:36 am
Hi There,

Post giving GMAT you can target schools like Chicago Booth (Early Entry Initiative), Rochester Simons (Young Leaders Program), IESE (Young Talent Program), ISB (YLP). These are some of the options where fresh graduates can apply for MBA programs. But yes it does require a very high GMAT score.

Let us know if you require any further guidance and we would be happy to help.
www.manyagroup.com