MBA Application with a Criminal Record

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

MBA Application with a Criminal Record

by sam_mba » Thu Dec 24, 2009 6:06 am
I was convicted of a misdemeanor offence a year ago of carrying a conceal weapon. I always wanted to pursue an MBA, but with my criminal record, will I have a) a viable chance in getting into a good b-school given that all applications ask for convictions and b) an issue of getting hired once I graduate? I know industries that require access to sensitive data, i.e. finance, government, healthcare, etc, will probably be out of the question; however, I want to specialize my MBA in eCommerce and operations management and hope that my background will not present a major issue for gainful employment.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:13 members

by Linda Abraham » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:06 pm
sam_mba wrote:I was convicted of a misdemeanor offence a year ago of carrying a conceal weapon. I always wanted to pursue an MBA, but with my criminal record, will I have a) a viable chance in getting into a good b-school given that all applications ask for convictions and b) an issue of getting hired once I graduate? I know industries that require access to sensitive data, i.e. finance, government, healthcare, etc, will probably be out of the question; however, I want to specialize my MBA in eCommerce and operations management and hope that my background will not present a major issue for gainful employment.
Sam,

I agree that a conviction would probably be an insurmountable issue in the sensitive areas you mention above. I also agree that you have a better chance if you indicate your goal is in industries that are perhaps more tolerant of indiscretion. However, the key question will be the explanation your write about the conviction. The circumstances, lessons learned, etc.

It is a hurdle, but the devil is in the details, which you understandably are not putting on this board.

Best,
Linda
Linda Abraham
Accepted.com -- Helping You Write Your Best!
Accepted Blog
Accepted on Twitter
Accepted on Facebook

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by Consultant2010 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:52 am
Great question Sam.

Linda,

How do you feel about minor misdeamors like underage possession of an alcoholic beverage......twice.....6 years ago....?

Thanks a lot,

Consultant 2010

by Linda Abraham » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:57 pm
Consultant2010 wrote:Great question Sam.

Linda,

How do you feel about minor misdeamors like underage possession of an alcoholic beverage......twice.....6 years ago....?

Thanks a lot,

Consultant 2010
First of all see if underage misdemeanors are part of your adult legal record. I am no lawyer, but I think the rules vary by state. Secondly, I have talked to admissions directors about that and they understand that today's young adults were once younger teenagers and may have made mistakes along the way. In general they are very forgiving of such mistakes if you learned and grew from them.

Please see: Best,
Linda
Linda Abraham
Accepted Blog
Accepted on Twitter
Accepted on Facebook

by bmarin » Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:58 pm
Helpful questions and answers in this post.

Linda I currently have a Felony for Facilitation to Transport Marijuana. The Felony will soon down grade to a misdemeanor and I will set aside/dismiss my misdemeanor charge. I need to apply to an MBA program with a tier one business program accredited MBA Online ASAP. I am 32 and desperately desire to turn my life around with an MBA. Most MBA applications require an answer as to whether or not I ever had a felony. I will tell the truth on the application and I will yes to a felony. I qualify for all the other admission requirements of the MBA. Will this felony charge hold me back from being accepted to an MBA program?

by Linda Abraham » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:56 pm
How long ago did you get the felony?
Linda Abraham
Accepted Blog
Accepted on Twitter
Accepted on Facebook

by bmarin » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:42 pm
I was convicted 3/16/2012, but for a crime that occurred November of 2010.

by Linda Abraham » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:39 am
It depends. It certainly could. And it may not. I realize this is a dissatisfying answer.

It depends what you have done since the arrest. What have you changed? How have you grown? Have you learned something from the experience? Do you take responsibility for it?

In general the more time between the arrest and conviction, the better off you are. I would like to see more time than you indicate above, but I still think that the answers to my questions could make a difference.

I think many admissions offices would like to see that you turned your life around before you enroll in an MBA program, and then use the MBA to aid and speed you in continuing down the new path. While they tout the transformative qualities of an MBA, I doubt this is the kind of transformation they are talking about.

Best,
Linda
Linda Abraham
Accepted Blog
Accepted on Twitter
Accepted on Facebook

Positive Change

by bmarin » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:30 am
What have you changed? How have you grown? Have you learned something from the experience? Do you take responsibility for it?

I now am very conscious about the choices I make, and I avoid unruly behavior 100 percent of the time. I have remained out of any criminal trouble since the incident. Since the charge I have moved on and realize I can not change the charges. Therefore, I remain positive, and began community work in volunteer/paid role with a social welfare reform non-profit. I have met many new positive contacts, and the organization and contacts value my presence. I have learned the importance of behaving in a pragmatic way, as to avoid making choice that will result in failure. When I take on tasks I make sure I am respecting all formalities. I am respectful of objective rules because when I wasn't respective of common sense rules I experienced criminal charges. I believe I have already turned my life around and I am ready to take on new challenges that will further aide my positive change in life.

Here is more details about my situation: https://www.beatthegmat.com/applying-to- ... tml#612294
Last edited by bmarin on Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Linda Abraham » Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:01 pm
bmarin wrote:What have you changed? How have you grown? Have you learned something from the experience? Do you take responsibility for it?

I now am very conscious about the choices I make and I avoid unruly behavior 100% of the time. I have remained out of any criminal trouble since the incident. Since the charge I have moved on and realize I can not change the charges. Therefore, I remain positive and began working in my community in a volunteer/paid role with a social welfare reform non-profit. I have met many new positive contacts and the organization and contacts value my presence. I have learned the importance of behaving in a pragmatic way, as to avoid making choice that will result in failure. When I take on tasks I make sure I am respecting all formalities. I am respectful of objective rules because when I wasn't respective common sense rules I experienced criminal charges. I believe I have already turned my life around and I am ready to take on new challenges that will further aide my positive change in life.

Here is more details about my situation: https://www.beatthegmat.com/applying-to- ... tml#612294
Thanks for the link.

I think you have taken the arrest seriously and appear to have turned your life around. Now you seem to want to build on this momentum and seriousness of purpose. If you can convey that maturity in your application and essays you will seriously enhance your chances.

Also, you will need to convey not just a reaction to this arrest, but your qualifications and successes.

You've taken the right moves and I wish you every success.

Best,
Linda
Linda Abraham
Accepted Blog
Accepted on Twitter
Accepted on Facebook

by bmarin » Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:18 pm
Thank you Linda for your well wishes and for taking a time out to write me.

I have spoken to two admission representatives from two different colleges including Arizona State and University of South Dakota and they have given me positive feedback regarding my felony. They mentioned this could be a compelling and motivational life lesson that could aide my application for the positive when included in essay form. What do you charge for writing assistance?

by Linda Abraham » Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:26 pm
bmarin wrote:Thank you Linda for your well wishes and for taking a time out to write me.

I have spoken to two admission representatives from two different colleges including Arizona State and University of South Dakota and they have given me positive feedback regarding my felony. They mentioned this could be a compelling and motivational life lesson that could aide my application for the positive when included in essay form. What do you charge for writing assistance?
bmarin,

You're most welcome.

We charge $270 per hour. Here is a link to descriptions of our essay advising and editing services: https://www.accepted.com/mba/essayediting.aspx

Best,
Linda Abraham
Linda Abraham
Accepted Blog
Accepted on Twitter
Accepted on Facebook

by hansa1957 » Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:11 am
ACD