compounds

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:4 members

compounds

by vipulgoyal » Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:53 am
Most of the purported health benefits of tea comes from antioxidants-compounds also found in beta carotene, vitamin E, and vitamin C that inhibit the formation of plaque along the body's blood vessels.

A. comes from antioxidants-compounds also found in beta carotene, vitamin E, and vitamin C that
B. comes from antioxidants-compounds that are also found in beta carotene, vitamin E, and vitamin C, and they
C. come from antioxidants-compounds also found in beta carotene, vitamin E, and vitamin C, and
D. come from antioxidants-compounds that are also found in beta carotene, vitamin E, and vitamin C and that
E. come from antioxidants-compounds also found in beta carotene, vitamin E, and vitamin C, and they

OA D my query isnt that used for singular

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:04 am
vipulgoyal wrote:Most of the purported health benefits of tea comes from antioxidants-compounds also found in beta carotene, vitamin E, and vitamin C that inhibit the formation of plaque along the body's blood vessels.

A. comes from antioxidants-compounds also found in beta carotene, vitamin E, and vitamin C that
B. comes from antioxidants-compounds that are also found in beta carotene, vitamin E, and vitamin C, and they
C. come from antioxidants-compounds also found in beta carotene, vitamin E, and vitamin C, and
D. come from antioxidants-compounds that are also found in beta carotene, vitamin E, and vitamin C and that
E. come from antioxidants-compounds also found in beta carotene, vitamin E, and vitamin C, and they
In A and B, comes (singular) does not agree with most (plural).
Eliminate A and B.

A conjunction such as and must serve to connect PARALLEL FORMS.
C: compounds also FOUND in beta carotene...and INHIBIT the formation of plaque
E: compounds also FOUND in beta carotene...and they INHIBIT the formation of plaque
In these answer choices, found serves as a ADJECTIVE describing compounds.
What KIND of compounds?
Compounds FOUND in beta carotene.
In contrast, inhibit serves not as a modifier but as a VERB.
What ACTION is performed by compounds?
They INHIBIT the formation of plaque.
A conjunction such as and cannot serve to connect a MODIFIER (found) to a VERB (inhibit).
Eliminate C and E.

The correct answer is D.
my query isnt that used for singular
A that-clause serving as a MODIFIER can refer to a singular or plural noun.
SC10 in the OG12: a NETWORK THAT KEEPS the brain from getting too hot
SC4 in the OG12: the TIDES THAT HAVE SWEPT through history

When that serves to make a COMPARISON, its referent must be SINGULAR:
THE CAR produced by Company X is faster than THAT produced by Company Y.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3