Sentence Correction - #48 p. 680 - "It is called a sea.

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
OG 13th/2015
p. 680
Sentence Correction Practice Question #48

It is called a sea, but the landlocked Caspian is actually the largest lake on Earth, which covers more than four times the surface area of its closest rival in size, North America's Lake Superior.
B. Although it is called a sea, ....
C. Though called a sea, the landlocked Caspian is actually the largest lake on Earth, covering
D. Though called a sea...
E. Despite being called a sea, the largest lake on Earth is actually the landlocked Caspian, covering

A few questions on this one:
- There is one answer choice that starts with Although and two answer choices that start with Though. I was previously taught that Although is correct and Though is not correct, so I (incorrectly) eliminated answers C and D immediately. What is the difference between Although and Though and what does the GMAT prefer, and when?
- I (incorrectly) chose this one as my answer. I get that E is illogical (after reading the explanation) but how would one reword this to make to logical? What are some other examples of logical vs illogical comparison/wording? I'm not really clear on how the wording makes it illogical. And are there other issues with this answer choice that I should have recognized?

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:26 pm
paml wrote:OG 13th/2015
p. 680
Sentence Correction Practice Question #48

It is called a sea, but the landlocked Caspian is actually the largest lake on Earth, which covers more than four times the surface area of its closest rival in size, North America's Lake Superior.
B. Although it is called a sea, ....
C. Though called a sea, the landlocked Caspian is actually the largest lake on Earth, covering
D. Though called a sea...
E. Despite being called a sea, the largest lake on Earth is actually the landlocked Caspian, covering

A few questions on this one:
- There is one answer choice that starts with Although and two answer choices that start with Though. I was previously taught that Although is correct and Though is not correct, so I (incorrectly) eliminated answers C and D immediately. What is the difference between Although and Though and what does the GMAT prefer, and when?
The GMAT does not distinguish between although and though.
Consider these two conjunctions interchangeable.
I'm not really clear on how the wording makes it illogical.
Despite being called a sea, X is actually NOT a sea.
Here, the introductory modifier (despite being called a sea) implies that the following clause will convey the contrasting meaning in red (X is actually NOT a sea).
E: Despite being called a sea, the largest lake on Earth is actually the landlocked Caspian.
In E, the clause in red does not convey the required contrast.
Eliminate E.

Though called a sea, X is actually NOT a sea.
Here, the introductory modifier (though not a sea) implies that the following clause will convey the contrasting meaning in red (X is actually NOT a sea).
OA: Though called a sea, the landlocked Caspian is ACTUALLY THE LARGEST LAKE ON EARTH.
In the OA, the clause in red conveys the required contrast:
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3