I need help. Score:490

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

I need help. Score:490

by scottchapman » Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:47 pm
I've dabbled quite a bit on these forums and have finally taken the plunge to ask for help with my scores; it's been fairly depressing lately for GMAT studying.

I took my last approximately a year ago after self studying and use of an online test prep company for approximately 2-3 months. My first score on the practice test was 580 (shooting for 600+); throughout studying 4-5 times per week for about 2-3 hours per session my scores for the second test fell to a 520 (about 6weeks into studying).

I wasn't particularly excited about this score but I wasn't planning on applying to top schools from around the country either. I took the 3rd practice test which scored a 540. Basically, after that test my scheduled gmat test day had arrived and I went forward anyways. All practice tests were taken under gmat conditions My score ended up as a 490; if I remember correctly the breakdown was Q:27 V:30 IR:6 AWA:5.5

After taking the live exam I was pretty much devastated and decided to take a break from the test and looking at MBA schools. It's been approx a year and I'm ready to get back in the game. The plan is to take the next 3ish months, 1-2 hrs per night and 3hours on Wkends to prepare but I need your help to do it because, clearly, it didn't work out so well last time. I'd like to do this with proper mentorship and strategies along the way. As of now, it's more of a pride thing knowing that I should be able to beat this thing than getting into a Top Program.

I now leave it open to answer any questions you may have that could point me in the right direction.

Thanks!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:48 pm
Hi scottchapman,

Since there are so many different resources to use during your studies, it can sometimes a bit tricky trying to find the perfect combination of resources that will help you to achieve your goals. It sounds like the way that you approached your studies the first time just wasn't the right way for YOU. Thankfully, the GMAT is a predictable, standardized Exam, so you CAN train to score at a high level. Business Schools also don't care if you take the GMAT more than once, so while it probably wasn't in your original plan to do so, it's not a big deal and it won't hurt your applications.

You do have a couple of things working in your favor though:

1) You've taken the GMAT once already, so you know what Test Day entails. Knowing those details can help you to plan better for your retake.
2) While your Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores aren't high enough yet, your IR and AWA scores show that you have the capacity to score at a higher level.
3) You probably already know most of your "weak spots", so you won't have to waste time trying to figure out what you need to spend extra time on.

Moving forwards, I would like to know a few things about your plan and timeline:

1) What resources do you have already?
2) When are you planning to take the GMAT?
3) What is your goal score?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by scottchapman » Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:31 am
Rich--

(1) I have OG 11,12, and 13 (additionally the Verbal/Quant Review); Manhattan GMAT Guides; PowerScore Critical Reasoning Bible.
(2) Approximately 2-3 months- very flexible in timing but would prefer to take the Official sometime at the end of March or April
(3) I'm shooting for a 650+

Rich, I also posed this question in the Strategy forum as well.

Thanks!
Scott

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by SimAngDC » Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:00 pm
Hi Scott and Rich,

Scott, I hope that your study schedule is beneficial and that you get the score you want.

I also have a similar problem. I first took the GMAT a month ago and scored a 480. After I received that score, I signed up for Veritas courses and got a private tutor. I really wanted to break 600 within the next month. Exactly a month after my initial GMAT exam, I took another official test and score a 470!?!?!?! I'm not sure what happened, I do have a bit of anxiety but I was not expecting a 470. Throughout my practice exams I was scoring 650, 620 and 620 on the Veritas practice tests. Any suggestion on how to prepare for the next few months. Im not planning on taking another official until I get at least a 700 on the GMAT Prep practice exam. I was thinking waiting a few weeks and retaking the course but going out a slower rate rather than trying to cram a whole lesson into a month. :(

-Angie