Please Diagnose My Study Problem. Can't get out 500s

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hi!

My goal: 700.
I have NOT taken the real GMAT- I'm signed up for April 4th 2015.
Best score: 590 (Kaplan CAT 2)

I've been studying for the GMAT since Dec 20 2014 and I have completely reached a wall. Please please please verify what I think is my problem (seen below)

My study guides:
The Full Manhattan Comprehensive Set of Study Guides (10 books) 5th edition
Kaplan Premier
GMAT OG most recent edition
GMAT OG Verbal/Quant most recent editions

My first study plan (before I realized it wasn't working because I couldn't get in the 600s)
Read Kaplan from start to finish and take a diagnostic CAT
Then switch to Manhattan GMAT Study Guides
M-Sat: study content; 2-3 hours each night; 5 hours on Saturday. Qual one day; Quant the next, just working through the Manhattan study guides. Saturday=catch up day from items not understood m-fr and prep for Sunday CAT.
Sunday: Take CAT/analyze CAT and form study plan for subsequent week.

I stopped this after my 5th CAT because my first score (540) was basically the same as my last score (560). I can't even begin to explain how frustrating this is because I knew nothing when I got a 540 but I knew so much when I got a 560. Also, I kept running out of time on the Quant section.

This is what I think is my problem, and I need you all to verify.

I have completely conquered the medium questions (scoring 80-100% of them right) on my CATs but I'm averaging ~5% right on the hard questions. I have restructured my study plan to focus 90% of my time on working the hard problems AND timing myself on those hard problems. I've made a massive bank of all the "hard" questions I've seen from Kaplan, Manhattan, and OG and I've made a whole bunch of flash cards consisting of 10-20 question problem sets for me to work on. I time Quant at 2 minutes a question; SC at 1:30; RC/CR at 2:00. Then I tally up the results and study what I missed. Repeat. I have also started a GMAT diary (lol) where I document everything, i.e. notes from guides/missed concepts/future topics to study. And I go back and read that diary 24/7.

I'm trying to implement a more iterative/agile study plan, i.e. timed practice, then review/study missed concepts, repeat.

I am planning on taking my 6th practice CAT (MGMAT CAT 3) in 6 days. If I don't break the 600 range... I'm going to cry.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:05 pm
Hi njschneider,

Your primary problem right now is that you've taken a "book heavy" study approach and you're now stuck at this particular scoring level because of it. In real basic terms, you've taught yourself how to face this Test in a certain way and "your way" of doing things puts you in the high 500s. "Hard" questions are not the problem.

The good news is that you appear to be relatively consistent. We now just have to get you practicing some new tactics and then you have to put in the necessary repetitions to become consistent with them. With an April 4th Test Date, you have about 7 weeks of study time remaining, so you could very well still hit your score goal. The big 'unknown' is whatever 'bad habits' you may have developed over the last couple of months - we have to define them and eliminate them.

I have a few questions about your CAT results:
1) Have you been taking the ENTIRE CAT each time (including the Essay and IR sections)?
2) Are you taking these CATs at the same time of day as your Official GMAT?
3) Are you taking these CATs in a 'test-like' setting and under test-like conditions?

4) If necessary, do you have the flexibility to push your Test Date back?

Thankfully, the GMAT is a predictable, standardized Exam, so you CAN train to score at a higher level. You just need to invest in some new resources and put in the necessary practice.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]