Confused between 2 options

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:5 members

Confused between 2 options

by prachi18oct » Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:39 am
Image[/url]

I narrowed down to C & D but I eliminated C as I could see why the book may be a "recent" one. The latest event mentioned in the passage is 1979. I belive the book is written after that but still is it recent ?
If I take another approach to find flaw in option D , I see that there is a historical change but the passage never describes two contrasting approches to it. It describes the thesis of the book, which refutes the approach taken by sociological economists.

So is this how I should eliminate D and pick C or it is quite clear that the book is written after 1980 and hence it is "recent" ?
Attachments
Screenshot 2015-02-11 11.27.29.png

Legendary Member
Followed by:140 members
GMAT Score:800

by MartyMurray » Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:42 pm
Given the reference to 1979 and the wording of the passage, in which something mentioned in the book is referred to as "the present day notion", it seems safe to consider the book a recent book.

D is not really accurate as the passage is definitely not focused on refuting anything traditional.

C is not right, because while a second approach to analyzing social values is mentioned in passing, contrasting that second approach with the work of Viviana Zelizer is not the primary purpose of the passage.

So, B is the best answer. The primary purpose of the passage is to discuss Viviana Zelizer's thesis, which is discussed in her "excellent book."
Marty Murray
Perfect Scoring Tutor With Over a Decade of Experience
MartyMurrayCoaching.com
Contact me at [email protected] for a free consultation.