An Alternative Approach For Rocking GMAT Verbal

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:140 members
GMAT Score:800
First, I guess this approach is not for everyone, maybe especially non native speakers, but I think anyone can learn from what I have been doing to consistently score 50 to 51 on the verbal section of the GMAT.

I'm posting this partly because I am amazed by two things I am seeing

One of them is the number and depth of strategies I see people applying when doing GMAT verbal questions.

The other is the fact that people can score well above 40 on the quant section and do pretty well on the AWA and somehow still get smoked on the verbal section. It seems to me that if someone has the reasoning skills and vision to rock GMAT quant and the language skills to write a decent essay that person should be able to rock verbal too.

Also, I have seen people actually get worse at verbal as they study. So that's interesting.

So here is what I have done to generate high verbal scores.

For one thing, I don't use any notes. Maybe notes are helpful to some people some of the time, but I am not sure they are for everyone. For me taking notes when doing GMAT verbal is a distraction and an unnecessary use of time. Having said that, the one thing that does seem necessary is tracking answer elimination. Even there I don't use notes. I do that by holding up my hand. The thumb and fingers represent answers A through E. As I eliminate an answer, I fold in my thumb or a finger. No pencil. No looking down from the screen. Simple. Gets the job done.

For critical reasoning questions I learned the major types, such as weaken, strengthen, bold face and inference. I learned that an answer to an inference question has to be necessarily true given the information provided in the prompt. I learned to look for premises, assumptions and conclusions. That's pretty much it.

When doing CR questions, I read the prompt and then the question. Then I go to the answers. I don't much care about negation or other strategies. I just look for the logic of the argument and the answers and see how things line up. Three or more of the answers are usually pretty obviously wrong. One or two are possibly right. I figure out which is the best and choose it. No mess, no fuss, the question's done.

The truth is that most of what it takes to get CR questions right is being careful, detail oriented and very logical. Maybe getting them right also takes determination. Yup, when you get down to those last two choices, sometimes it can be challenging to figure out which is the right answer. So being super determined that you are going to get it right can be key to succeeding.

Reading comprehension is similar. I learned a few tricks, maybe two, that I don't even remember to list here.

When doing the questions, first I read the passage, noticing the details in passing and taking an interest in what is being said. Maybe as I'm reading I notice the form of the passage and the function of the paragraphs. I don't read the first question before I read the passage, because I don't want to worry about the question or read the passage in a way that's biased toward answering that first question.

Then I go to the questions and just very carefully look to the passage for answers. The thing I had to learn in order to rock RC is to be extremely careful and detail oriented. That's it. There is no substitute for being careful. I guess I have strategies to a degree, but they involve basic things like looking for details in an organized way, making sure I have found the right details and eliminating answer choices.

Sentence correction is a little different from the other two in that there are certain rules and things that one has to know to answer the questions. My strategy for getting good enough at SC has been to figure out what rules and idioms I need to learn and to learn just enough to get most of the questions right most of the time.

Here are most of the rules I got clear on.

- Parallelism Of Lists and Parallelism Related to Connecting Words and Expressions

- Subject Verb Agreement

- Use of Tenses

- Placement of Modifiers

- Use of Quantity Words

- Restrictive Versus Non Restrictive Modifiers

I realize there are more rules that I am somehow consciously or unconsciously applying, but those are most of the ones I really worked on to get them clear in my mind.

I did have to learn, and unlearn, some idioms, and went over some idiom lists to get them straight. When there are idioms with which I am struggling I do web searches to find out about them, using both GMAT sites and non GMAT resources to get information.

Beyond that, I have done many sentence correction questions and noticed what was giving my trouble. Anything I get wrong usually turns into a little research project.

Even when doing SC though, I find that care and attention to detail are key. All the rules and all the knowledge of idioms are useless unless you are super careful in applying them. So in answering SC I just go over the original and the choices and eliminate choices with decision points. My fingers are my elimination tracking tool, and I get the choices down to one or two and stay super intent on making sure I choose the right one.

In addition to learning about sentence construction, I learned about some tricks they use when writing SC questions, such as putting into a sentence a whole bunch of stuff that separates key sentence elements that you need to connect in order to get the answer.

I wasn't getting enough SC questions right. So sometimes my verbal sub score would come in at 50 or 49. So I hung around these forums and picked up a few more key things. Now I should score 51 more consistently. I don't know every possible thing about SC, but I know enough to get enough right.

As I have indicated, one thing that seems really important in getting verbal questions right is sheer determination. I think I get them right because I am determined to get them right. Determination is most important when I get down to those last two possible answer choices. I would be easy to then let up and choose the wrong one. In fact maybe determination is the most important aspect of my GMAT verbal strategy.

So anyway, that, along with doing PLENTY of practice questions to hone my skills, is pretty much it.

In a way I don't know that much about GMAT verbal and somehow I do fine. Yes I am a native speaker and yes I do have some methods and strategies that I am using, but what I am doing is not super sophisticated and is even related to the way I use logic and attention to detail to do quant questions.

Is my approach for everyone? I guess maybe some people, maybe especially non native speakers, need or prefer more structure to their method of handling GMAT verbal.

At the same time, there is a point here. I see people struggling with verbal. They are learning all kinds of stuff and still their scores are not where they want them to be. My thinking is that maybe they aren't seeing the forest for the trees. Maybe the things that matter most, like seeing logic, paying attention to details and being super careful and determined are getting lost in the mix of strategies, rules and ways of taking notes.

So whether my approach is pretty much just what some need or it can be an aspect of more structured plans, I hope this can be helpful to people in their quests to rock GMAT verbal.
Last edited by MartyMurray on Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
Marty Murray
Perfect Scoring Tutor With Over a Decade of Experience
MartyMurrayCoaching.com
Contact me at [email protected] for a free consultation.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:119 members
GMAT Score:780

by Matt@VeritasPrep » Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:44 am
These are great tips, but AFAIK the only way to score V51 on the actual exam is to get every verbal question right. (At least that's the only way I was able to score a V51 on the GMATPrep software, and it stands to reason given the rarity of V51 scores out there.) The problem is that, in my experience, there seem be at least a couple SC questions on the actual exam that test some seemingly unknowable GMAC idiomatic preference -- or worse, one execrable sentence that is somehow less execrable than another, but for a seemingly arbitrary reason without precedent in any officially released problems -- so there's a somewhat random element to verbal.

Then again, the testwriters have released multiple math questions with seemingly incorrect OAs in the GMATPrep software, so the quant may have a random element too. (We all make mistakes, of course, but the fact that these made it into the released software (and in some cases remain there) makes me very nervous, and might make a V or Q 51 impossible on merit, depending on the problems you see on test day.)

That said, a V51 isn't worth chasing for (100 - ε)% of test takers. While higher V scores do seem to differentiate between 700s and 740s and 780s, that distinction isn't one that matters to any school I know of, and there's some anecdotal evidence that a 780 is actually a handicap at some top programs. For almost all test takers, anything north of V44 is enough to lock down the verbal portion of the test.

Legendary Member

by MartyMurray » Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:21 am
Matt, I tend to agree with that you are saying and I edited the post to reduce the emphasis on scoring V51. That was never really the point of the post anyway. The point is that maybe KISS combined with sheer determination is the path to verbal bliss.

Regarding what you said about having to get them all correct to score V51 on an official CAT, I have scored V51 on an official PowerPrep CAT, by getting 39 correct and 2 wrong.

My actual GMAT verbal score is 50, and that was on a test I took before my doing much of what I discussed in my post. After doing what I discussed I was able to accomplish what I hadn't before accomplished, which is score V51 on a Veritas practice CAT.

I'm optimistic that that will also be what happens the next time I sit for the actual GMAT, and if b-schools don't like high scores, they can pretty much go blow because I am having too much fun playing the GMAT video game to worry about actually using it to apply anywhere.
Marty Murray
MartyMurrayCoaching.com

Legendary Member

by MartyMurray » Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:44 pm
Just to follow up, the plan worked.

Took the GMAT again, used the method outlined above, and scored V51.

So the method does the trick.

Other aspects of my preparation and my test day experience are discussed here.

https://www.beatthegmat.com/800-q51-v51- ... tml#741173
Marty Murray
MartyMurrayCoaching.com

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:119 members
GMAT Score:780

by Matt@VeritasPrep » Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:45 pm
Marty Murray wrote:Regarding what you said about having to get them all correct to score V51 on an official CAT, I have scored V51 on an official PowerPrep CAT, by getting 39 correct and 2 wrong.
Which one of the exams was this? I've had one wrong on two of the PowerPrep CATs (the first two) and got V50 and V49, respectively. The only V51 I got was 41 out of 41 correct (Exam #3, from Exam Pack 1.) I suppose a V51 is more likely if you get the first 39 right, then miss the last 2 -- or some similar distribution -- but I still find that result curious.

Legendary Member

by MartyMurray » Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:36 am
The exam on which I scored V51 with two wrong is the second PowerPrep, rather than GMAT Prep, CAT.

On GMAT Prep, I experienced the same thing you did, one SC wrong was enough to make the score 49.

That GMAT Prep score does not seem to be the result of realistic scoring, as I scored V50 on an actual GMAT. Obviously I didn't get them all right, or I would have scored higher than 50, and yet my error, or errors, didn't get me knocked down to 49 either.
Marty Murray
MartyMurrayCoaching.com