Quant Section Pacing Problems

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Quant Section Pacing Problems

by nic98007 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:23 am
I took the GMAT for the first time a couple of months ago and did not score nearly as well as I wanted, about 50 points below where my practice CATs were at (last CAT before the test was 580, official score 530). I had studied for about 7 month before that, basically starting from scratch (I've been out of school for 9 years and had a lot of catching up to do). Since that test I have been doing several things in my studying to hopefully improve. Among them are focusing on my problems areas, specifically problem areas in quant questions (things like powers of 10, complicated algebra, number properties, etc). Also I have been focusing on HOW I approach problems. As I do practice problems I make sure I am approaching them in the right way and using good strategies (picking numbers, test the Answers, seeing patterns, etc). I have been going thru practice problems from the official guide and marking any I get incorrect. After completing each question (right or wrong) I would review my approach and make sure it is the best way to solve the problem. On subjects I was still struggling with I went back and reviewed those principles. After completing about 100 questions in each section (problem solving, DS, SC, RC) I went back thru and revisited the questions I got wrong the first time. I'm happy to say a lot of them I answered correctly the second time around. SoI'm seeing some improvement.

In the two month or so since my official test I've taken two GMATPrep practice CATs. I completed each section (inducing IR and essay) under test conditions (8 min breaks). Afterwards I've reviewed the tests and identified problems areas and have seen improvement in those areas in my studies. But to my dismay my scores only showed slight improvement (20 points at most) from my previous CATs and both were basically the same score (hovering around 600. Frustrating!).

Two weeks ago I completed my most recent GMATPrep CAT (the second of the two mentioned above). I felt like I had a better command of the test and how I wanted to approach things, but my score was still flat. BUT I did notice one potentially HUGE thing. I know I have a bit of a pacing problem in the quant section, but on my last test i really noticed where and when my problems begin. I have been using a pacing chart to track where I'm at, checking the time every 7-8 question and seeing if I'm on a 15 mins mark. Basically the EmpowerGMAT pacing chart.

So I do OK for about the first 7-8 questions. But between questions 7-14 I get really far behind. At about 10 I get a minute or so behind and then by 14 i'm 2-3 minutes behind. This of course piles on the stress, so I rush thru the next 10 questions or so trying to catch up. I look for opportunities to dump questions I know I'll get wrong (goodbye function notation questions!), but still end up even farther behind by the time I get to question 30 or so. And I'm afraid to dump too many questions in that 7-15 range because I know wrong answers need to be spaced out. This leaves me about 10 minutes to do the last 7-8 questions which I really rush thru and guess on a lot of them. (amazing I still get some of that last bunch correct). In analyzing my CATs I make a lot of little mistakes in those questions #10-#30 range. And I'm sure it's because I'm rushing too much. These are problems I know I can get right if I slow down just a little.

So for the past 2 weeks or so I've been trying to figure out way to improve my pacing so I don't wig out a third of the way thru the test. Most things I've found online just say to use a pacing chart, which I've already done. I did find one blog post on Manhattan GMAT that talked about developing a 1 minute sense. Basically use a timer to see if you know when you're about 1 minute into a question. I have been practicing that and have improved some in making sure I'm aware of the time at at in each question. I've been doing this while practicing from the OG, especially in questions I got wrong my first time thru. On most questions I've been able to complete them in about 2 mins. Some I get a little lost and it takes 3 or so. Some I realize I'm 3 minutes into it and no where near an answer and then just guess. I realize I don't have time to do this on the actual test (spend 3 mins and then guess).

So my question for the forum here is, what kind of pacing strategy should I take? I know time management is a big part of what this exam even tests. Right now I'm thinking that should spend up to 1 minute analyzing the question. If after 1 min if I know how to solve it, or have a good idea of how to solve it then I take the next minute or so and complete the problem. If after 1 minute I'm still not very sure of what to do then I should triage it in 15-20 seconds, guess and move on. Is this a good idea/strategy? I'm a little worried that I'll come across too many questions that I won't have a good idea of what to do and I'll end up dumping/triaging too many questions (say 10 or more). One of my issues on the official GMAT I took months ago was that I had a hard time even knowing how to approach a lot of the problems. My brain froze. I think I've solved a lot of that with my studying since then, but am worried I'll do the same again. I haven't had as much of that issue on my latest CATs, so I hoping I've moved past some of that.

I'm planning on taking another GMATPrep CAT at the end of this week and want to try my new pacing strategy ( dump it after 1 minute if I don't think I'll get it in under 2 minutes) Again this is all in the quant section. My pacing in the verbal section has been OK in my CATs. In fact I had too much time left in verbal on my official test, but scored worse in that section then expected. I think the stress of the quant section got to me.

Does anyone see any problems with my pacing plan or have another other ideas of things to work on? I'd like to retake the official test again in the next couple of weeks because application season is starting to wind down. Currently my practice CATs are hovering around 600 (even with my pacing problems), but I'd like to get up to the 630-650 range on the actual test. I'm hoping if I fix my pacing issues that will bump my score up.

Thanks in advance for your comments and time.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:57 am
Hi nic98007,

Many Test Takers have pacing problems at some point during their studies, so you're not alone. Pacing problem do NOT exist on their own though - they're the result of other problems. To fix a pacing problem, you have to fix those other problems.

You brought up a number of ideas, concerns and questions, so I'm going to address them in the order that you brought them up. I have a few follow-up questions too.

1) GMAC has publicly stated that the Official Score is within +-30 points of actual ability. Assuming a similar variation on the practice CATs that you took, your 530 is "in range" of the 580 that you scored. Points on Test Day can be won and lost rather easily, so keeping the little mistakes to a minimum is a MUST.

2) Review is an essential part of the process, so it's good that you've incorporated it into your studies. There's more to review than just re-visiting ideas though - you should be sure to redo ALL of the physical "work" that is involved in solving each question (this is a part of the review process that many Test Takers skimp on). For example, taking a quick look at a question and saying "oh yeah, I just TESTed THE ANSWERs here and the answer was B" is NOT proper review. You have to define WHY you chose to TEST THE ANSWERS (what were the clues? Would you spot them again in a similar question?). Then what work did you do (re-do it so that you can build up THOSE skills)? Etc.

3) 2 CATs in 2 months is really not enough. You should be taking CATs on a more frequent basis - 1 CAT every 1-2 weeks would give you more opportunities to nitpick your process and fix the little things in "small chunks" instead of trying to fix them all at once.

4) The pacing metric that you tried to follow on your last CAT bears NO RESEMBLANCE to what we teach in the EMPOWERgmat Course. I think that you were trying to use someone else's pacing ideas. You might want to revisit the Pacing Module and ideas before you take your next CAT.

5) If you spend 1 minute analyzing each of the Quant questions before really trying to answer it, how much time will that leave you to actually answer the 37 Quant questions? 75 minutes IS enough time to get through the section and get to all of the questions that matter (although you might have to dump a few questions along the way). However, you do NOT have enough time to do deep analysis on every question - and THAT type of thinking might be what's causing your pacing problem. Reading a prompt 2-3 times will also eat up too much of your clock, so you have to be more proactive with your work.

6) Your goal should NOT be to spend 2 minutes on every question. That's impractical. Some questions can be solved in less than a minute while others require 3 minutes of work (and that's if you KNOW what you're doing). Your goal should be to work efficiently, take notes and minimize silly mistakes. STARING is not allowed.

Now, a few questions:
1) What were your Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores on your Official GMAT? What were they on your last 2 CATs?
2) What time of day and day of the week did you take these CATs and what time of day and day of the week was your GMAT?

3) On each of your CATs.....
A) ....how many Quant questions took more than 3 minutes to solve?
B) ....when you dumped a Quant question, how long did it take you to do so (on average)?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by nic98007 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:03 pm
Thanks for the reply Rich.

Let me clarify a few things and answer some of your questions.

1) I do realize there is a point variance from the practice CAT and the real thing. I'd just like things to swing to the plus side instead of the minus. :)
2) I have been reviewing as you suggest, looking at WHY I did, or did not, do certain things and making sure I can apply that to similar questions.
3) Earlier in my studies I was taking too many CATs, so I slowed down a bit. The two I mentioned were about 3 weeks apart. My next one should be about 2 weeks since my last one, so on pace.
4) You are correct. The pacing metric I mentioned is NOT the Empower metric. My mistake.
5) I don't end up spending 1 minute analyzing on EVERY question. Most questions I know how to do and setup in about 30 seconds and then solve in 1-1:30 mins. It's just the tougher or not as familiar ones that I spend that full minute analyzing. So now I'm think that my approach should be is if in the first 1 minute things are not looking good, I don't know how to solve or I'm trying to solve but get confused or picked the wrong approach, that I should triage and move on. I do catch myself reading the prompt twice to make sure I get all the details, but have been working on not doing that.
6) That being said I do realize I can't spend the full 2 mins on EVERY question and that some may take 3 mins to complete (especially DS) and some should take 1 min or less. I did a lot more staring on my first test than I wanted and have been working on making sure that doesn't happen anymore.

I've found in general I know how to attack problems and which strategies to use, but get lost sometimes in the middle of the problems. I take notes and try to write everything down on the pad (I've noticed I still try to do too much in my head and am working on getting EVERYTHING on the pad). I feel this has improved in the last couple of weeks, so I'm hoping my next CAT goes better.

As for you questions,
1 )Official GMAT scores. Q 33 V29. My last two CATs: Q39 V34, Q36 V35
2) First CAT was taken on a Friday morning. Second on a Saturday morning. I plan on taking my next Official GMAT on a Friday morning. The first official exam was a Monday morning and I don't think Monday was a good idea for me.

3) I don't have timing details since the GMAT Prep software does not give you that detailed information, just a overall pace per category. It looks like my Data Sufficiency on average took longer than the problem solving.
I do know that some questions I dumped in 30 seconds or less. Things I knew I didn't know how to do. I also know that I spend WAY too much time of some questions trying to figure them out and then gave up. Probably 3-4 minutes. If I had to guess I'd say 4-5 questions were in that 3-4 min range. I don't think I ever went over 5 mins on any. Again I know that's too much time on some and that's what I've been working on in my studying recently.

I really feel that if I can tackle my pacing problems in the beginning of the test that I'll do a lot better. I'm to the point in my studying where I feel like I'm approaching questions correctly and am solving problems efficiently, but that little things are tripping me up and the added stress of my pacing problem just intensifies these hiccups. So if I fix the pacing everything else with hopefully come together. If I can loose my feeling of the need to rush all the time then I can avoid some of the silly mistakes. I've I just plan on there being about 8 questions I know I won't solve and not to waste time on those, and try not "rush" thru ones I know I can get, then maybe my number of correct vs incorrect will swing to the more correct side. Right now I average about 14 incorrect each CAT, and half of those are silly mistakes (because of rushing). So if I worry less about questions I can't get right away or am unlike to get right anyway (and not spend 3-4 minutes on) then I can stay clam on the questions I can get right.

Part of this test is about time management and knowing what to spend time on when to move on. So I'm just trying to figure out the best way for me to do that.

Thanks!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:46 pm
Hi nic98007,

Your second post goes a long way to explaining your process and the things that you're doing to improve. With your Quant Scaled Scores on these Tests, I can tell you that you're not using TEST IT enough - and you're missing out on lots of points because of it. Getting in some extra DS practice would also be beneficial. Your plan to purposely dump some questions should 'free up' enough time so that you can handle all of the others. One of the toughest things for any Test Taker is to realize that a question is too hard and then move on. Improving that skill should help you to fix a number of the other problems that you've described.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:365 members

by VivianKerr » Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:41 pm
Hi there,

Just to add, I attached the pacing benchmarks I usually recommend to my students. It might help to check in just a little more often. It's totally normal to get more behind as you go through a section, so it's great you're recognizing this and able to "walk away" from a question. That said, here's my advice: don't spend time analyzing a question and THEN decide to guess and move on from it.

For every Quant question, you should either (1) fully attempt it with 2 minutes max, or (2) guess without reading it. When people rush through 10 questions at once and spend 30 seconds on each, they tend to get strings of questions wrong, and as you mentioned, that's a big no-no, and a surefire way to bring down your score.

So here's the 4 major recommendations I'd suggest:

1) more frequent CATs with benchmarks in front of you, check in more regularly with them. I'd suggest 1 CAT a week, so you can use it as an analytical tool to assess how your pacing is doing, and select 3 Quant concepts to focus narrowly on in the next 6 days before your next CAT. Don't spread yourself too thin concept-wise. Here's a comprehensive list if you need it.

2) If you're 2 questions behind benchmark, you need to "GUESS-ATTEMPT-GUESS-ATTEMPT" until you're back on benchmark.

When you "GUESS," you simply pick an answer choice without reading the question. There's no point in spending 30 seconds analyzing it if you're still going to get the question incorrect. It's either full strategy, or nada. When you "ATTEMPT," you take 2 minutes or less to fully try the question to the best of your ability, utilizing your scratch pad and doing your Quant strategy based on the question-type.

3) In-depth review. It sounds like you've been doing a pretty solid job with this, but I'd codify it even more if you can with an Error Log spreadsheet for all incorrect Q's on each CAT.

4) Pacing drills outside of CATs (at least once a day!). This is major! You can see a recent post in which I discuss the importance of drills here: https://gmatrockstar.com/2015/01/31/sent ... ng-drills/

Here's the strategy I'd recommend:

Problem Solving Strategy

Step 1 - Write down what the Question is asking

Step 2 - Extract the Given Information

Step 3 - Examine the Answer Choices

Step 4 - Choose your approach and Solve:
"¢ Do the Math
"¢ Backsolve
"¢ Pick Numbers
"¢ Guess strategically

Step 5 - Double-check your Answer against Step 1 ("Am I done?")

Data Sufficiency Strategy

Step 1 - Write Down the Question-Type ("V" or "Y/N") and ABCDE

Step 2 - Extract the Given Information

Step 3 - Write down what is NEEDED for Sufficiency

Step 4 - Analyze the Statements Individually

Step 5 - Combine, as needed

Hope this helps you!

Best,
Vivian
Attachments
GMAT Concepts.docx
(19.6 KiB) Downloaded 72 times
Error Log Template.xlsx
(12.03 KiB) Downloaded 72 times
PacingBenchmarks.png
Vivian Kerr
GMAT Rockstar, Tutor
https://www.GMATrockstar.com
https://www.yelp.com/biz/gmat-rockstar-los-angeles

Former Kaplan and Grockit instructor, freelance GMAT content creator, now offering affordable, effective, Skype-tutoring for the GMAT at $150/hr. Contact: [email protected]

Thank you for all the "thanks" and "follows"! :-)