640 (Q46 V32 CR7) UCLA FEMBA ROUND 2?

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

640 (Q46 V32 CR7) UCLA FEMBA ROUND 2?

by venkat291182 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:15 pm
Hi,

I am 32 year old Engineer in LA. And looking to apply for Round 2 UCLA FEMBA program
Gave my GMAT today and score 640 (Q46 V32 CR7). Wanted some advice if i should give GMAT again?

My Profile -

Job : Project Engineer in Water Industry - Experience with Engineering Tasks, Business Development and Proposal Writing, Task Management, Some project management. Training of Staff
Exp : 8 Years
Promoted: Twice. Expecting 3rd One soon.
Undergrad : From India, University of Mumbai GPA 3.0 (approx)
Grad: Arizona State University GPA 3.24
Extra Curricular: Award for my continued work for a non-profit.

Will get excellent recommendations. Please advise if i should retake the GMAT and apply for round 3.

Thanks

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:8 members

by interviewbay22 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:09 am
Hello

Overall you have a decent profile. For FEMBA, a lot depends on the quality of your work experience. As far as your stats are concerned, your GPA is a bit low for Anderson. Get it converted by an official education agency so we have a better idea of where you stand.

Though UCLA has admitted students with GMAT scores as low as 610, applying with a lower than average GMAT and GPA is not a very good idea. I would suggest you to retake GMAT. Tell me more about your major projects and achievements at work and also your work with the non-profit. What are you reasons for pursuing MBA and why UCLA? Are there any other schools that you are considering?
All the Best

www.InterviewBay.com

Application Reviews &Mock Interviews by Alumni of Your Target B-School

Check out our free e-book on How to Get into a Top Business School here https://www.interviewbay.com/school/how- ... -ebook.php

by venkat291182 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:47 am
Thanks for your reply.

My major projects at work include -
1. Asbestos Cement Replacement Plan (San Diego, CA) - 2 million - Lead Project Engineer responsible for all the technical work and co-ordination with multiple sub-consultants
2. Water Master Plan (City of Makkah, Saudi Arabia) - 8 million - Lead hydraulic modeler for the Water System with team of 2 junior modelers to assist
3. Mesa Optimization Study (Costa Mesa, CA)- 200,000 - Lead hydraulic modeler for optimization of system operation and helped reduce client cost by 100,000 a year
4. Avondale Pressure Analysis - Task Leader leading team of 2 engineers to assist the City with improving system pressure.

I am also the company leader for hydraulic modeling in the western united states and subject matter expert for energy optimization in water system.

Non Profit work -

Am an award winning volunteer (Founders' award in 2012) for water for people. Also was the Arizona committee chair for 2 years. Organized charity golf tournament for 4 years in AZ too raising over 60,000$ for Water for People.

Does this help me?

by interviewbay22 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:57 am
Hello again

Yes, it certainly helps. Indeed your profile is quite impressive. There are several leadership experiences and your volunteer work is also going to impress adcoms. You certainly have the profile that could get you in but your GMAT score may be an impediment. Keep in mind that people who do get into Anderson will have equally or even more impressive profiles. To ensure that your application stands out from the rest, a better GMAT score will help. Also, another thing you must keep in mind is that your application essays will also play an important role. How your portray yourself and your qualities in your essays will make or break your application. So I would advise you to retake GMAT and at the same time, start working on your application essays to ensure that you have enough time to prepare excellent ones.

Are you sure about FEMBA? Have you considered full time MBA?
All the Best

www.InterviewBay.com

Check out our free e-book on How to Get into a Top Business School here https://www.interviewbay.com/school/how- ... -ebook.php

by venkat291182 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:24 pm
Thanks for the reply. I spoke with the admissions office at UCLA and they advised me to apply. They said that if they find GMAT as an impediment then they will ask me to retake it.

So, i am submitting my application for round 2 and hope for the best. I have spent a lot of time to my essays and feel they are very good.

Thanks again. Full Time MBA is not an option as i cannot quit my job :-)

by interviewbay22 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:57 pm
Hello again

It is excellent that your essays are already ready. All the very best to you.
All the Best

www.InterviewBay.com

by venkat291182 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:14 pm
I was just notified that i was admitted to the UCLA FEMBA program .

Thanks for all your help :-)

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by nithya.muthuramen » Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:31 pm
Hello Venkat,

First of all congratulations on your admission. I am almost sailing in the same boat today as you were last year. Got a Gmat score of 640 Q47 V30 in my GMAT exam today.
I am also from Los Angeles and working for IT (10 years exp)
My only target Business School is UCLA for FEMBA course. I was in a complete dilemma whether its going to give me any chance with UCLA or not..Seeing your post I get some hope, though I understand its case to case.
But I would like to talk and clarify few more points with you. Would you be able to help me on that pls. My email id is [email protected]. If you could leave your contact number, I can call you today/tomorrow at your earliest convenient time.

Thanks,
Nithya