In contrast to vs. Compared to

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

In contrast to vs. Compared to

by utkalnayak » Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:41 pm
In contrast to ongoing trade imbalances with China and Japan, the United States trade deficit with Mexico declined by $500 million as a result of record exports to that country.

A. In contrast to ongoing trade imbalances with China and Japan, the United States trade deficit with Mexico declined by $500 million as a result of record exports to that country.

B. In contrast to ongoing trade imbalances with China and Japan, the United States sold record exports to Mexico, reducing its trade deficit by $500 million.

C. When compared with ongoing trade imbalances with China and Japan, the United States sold record exports to Mexico, reducing their trade deficit by $500 million.

D. Compared with ongoing trade imbalances with China and Japan, the United States sold record exports to Mexico, reducing the trade deficit by $500 million.

E. Compared to ongoing trade imbalances with China and Japan, the United States record exports to Mexico caused a $500 million decline in the trade deficit with that country.

OA: A

I would appreciate if you can tell me why E is a incorrect choice.
Thanks,
Utkal

Legendary Member
Followed by:140 members
GMAT Score:800

by MartyMurray » Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:30 pm
utkalnayak wrote:In contrast to ongoing trade imbalances with China and Japan, the United States trade deficit with Mexico declined by $500 million as a result of record exports to that country.

A. In contrast to ongoing trade imbalances with China and Japan, the United States trade deficit with Mexico declined by $500 million as a result of record exports to that country.

B. In contrast to ongoing trade imbalances with China and Japan, the United States sold record exports to Mexico, reducing its trade deficit by $500 million.

C. When compared with ongoing trade imbalances with China and Japan, the United States sold record exports to Mexico, reducing their trade deficit by $500 million.

D. Compared with ongoing trade imbalances with China and Japan, the United States sold record exports to Mexico, reducing the trade deficit by $500 million.

E. Compared to ongoing trade imbalances with China and Japan, the United States record exports to Mexico caused a $500 million decline in the trade deficit with that country.

OA: A

I would appreciate if you can tell me why E is a incorrect choice.
The expression compared to is used to express similarity between on thing another. Here's an example.

His writing has been compared to that of Dickens.

That sentence is meant to convey that people find his writing to be similar to that of Dickens.

In choice E, compared to is incorrectly used to convey that there is a contrast. If read literally, the sentence would almost seem to say that the record exports are somehow similar to the ongoing imbalances, which is nonsensical.

Having said that, I have seen some say that the GMAT does not restrict the use of compared to to the way I described above, instead, according to those people, it is used interchangeably with compared with. Even if this is the case, the meaning of the sentence in choice E is still unclear and the sentence could still be interpreted in the way I described above. Therefore, E is not a good choice and using the expression in contrast to is a much better way to begin the sentence.
Marty Murray
Perfect Scoring Tutor With Over a Decade of Experience
MartyMurrayCoaching.com
Contact me at [email protected] for a free consultation.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:50 am
utkalnayak wrote:In contrast to ongoing trade imbalances with China and Japan, the United States trade deficit with Mexico declined by $500 million as a result of record exports to that country.

B: In contrast to ongoing trade imbalances...the United States
Here, a contrast is illogically drawn between THE UNITED STATES and TRADE IMBALANCES.
Eliminate B.

C and D: compared with ongoing trade imbalances...the United States
Here, the UNITED STATES is illogically compared with TRADE IMBALANCES.
Eliminate C and D.

X may be compared to Y only if X and Y are LIKE THINGS.
E: Compared to ongoing trade imbalances, the United States record exports
Here, RECORD EXPORTS are illogically compared to TRADE IMBALANCES.
Since RECORD EXPORTS and TRADE IMBALANCES are NOT like things, the usage of compared to is inappropriate.
Eliminate E.

The correct answer is A.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by utkalnayak » Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:41 pm
That makes sense, comparison should be between 2 parallel objects. Thank you Mitch.
Thanks,
Utkal

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:34 pm
Hi utkalnayak,

This SC is built on a Comparison. Comparison rules require that we compare LIKE things.

For example:
We can compare....
a country to a country.
a country to several countries.
a deficit to a surplus.
a surplus to several deficits
Etc.

From the answer choices, we can see that the first part of the comparison is "ongoing TRADE IMBALANCES WITH CHINA AND JAPAN", so we have to make sure that the second part of the comparison is comparable to "trade imbalances...." Answers B, C and D gives us "the United States"; answer E gives us "United States record exports." None of these is comparable to "trade imbalances." Eliminate them all. Answer A gives us "the United States trade deficit" which IS comparable to "trade imbalances."

Final Answer: A

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by Tmoni26 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:02 am
What about the pronoun ".....that country"

Which country does this pronoun refer to??
We would say Mexico but it could be another country??

Also, should there not be a possessive "apostrophe" with the United States trade deficit to show that we are comparing the "trade deficit"

Hope I am not getting it all wrong..

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:51 am
Tmoni26 wrote:What about the pronoun ".....that country"

Which country does this pronoun refer to??
We would say Mexico but it could be another country??
The United States trade deficit with Mexico declined by $500 million as a result of record exports to that country.
Given the preceding clause -- which indicates that the United States trade deficit with Mexico declined -- a reader will know from context that record exports to that country means RECORD EXPORTS FROM THE UNITED STATES TO MEXICO.
No other interpretation is possible.
Also, should there not be a possessive "apostrophe" with the United States trade deficit to show that we are comparing the "trade deficit"
A noun can serve as an adjective:
SOCCER player
HISTORY book
COMPUTER keyboard

In all of these examples, the first noun serves as an adjective modifying the second noun.

The UNITED STATES trade deficit.
Here, United States serves as an adjective modifying trade deficit.
What KIND of trade deficit?
The UNITED STATES trade deficit.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

by Mo2men » Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:40 am
GMATGuruNY wrote:

B: In contrast to ongoing trade imbalances...the United States
Here, a contrast is illogically drawn between THE UNITED STATES and TRADE IMBALANCES.
Eliminate B.

C and D: compared with ongoing trade imbalances...the United States
Here, the UNITED STATES is illogically compared with TRADE IMBALANCES.
Eliminate C and D.

X may be compared to Y only if X and Y are LIKE THINGS.
E: Compared to ongoing trade imbalances, the United States record exports
Here, RECORD EXPORTS are illogically compared to TRADE IMBALANCES.
Since RECORD EXPORTS and TRADE IMBALANCES are NOT like things, the usage of compared to is inappropriate.
Eliminate E.

The correct answer is A.
Hi Mitch,

1- What do you mean use 'compare to' when they are like things?

2-Can I use 'compare to' interchangeably with 'compare with' like the following examples:

A- Compared to ongoing trade imbalances, the United States ongoing trade imbalances....
B- Compared with ongoing trade imbalances, the United States ongoing trade imbalances......

3- Is placing 'when' before compared considered not idiomatic in GMAT?

Thanks

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Sat Feb 06, 2016 3:54 am
Mo2men wrote: Hi Mitch,

1- What do you mean use 'compare to' when they are like things?
An imbalance is an INEQUALITY.
Exports are PRODUCTS.
It is illogical to compare an INEQUALITY to PRODUCTS.
Thus, an imbalance cannot logically be compared to exports.
2-Can I use 'compare to' interchangeably with 'compare with'
The GMAT does not distinguish between compare to and compare with.
The two phrases should be considered interchangeable.
3- Is placing 'when' before compared considered not idiomatic in GMAT?[/u]
Generally, when compared is to be avoided because it will distort the intended meaning.
C: When compared with ongoing trade imbalances with China and Japan, the United States sold record exports to Mexico.
Here, the usage of when implies that record exports were sold AT A PARTICULAR MOMENT:
WHEN the United States was COMPARED.
Not the intended meaning:
The record exports were NOT sold at a particular moment.
Eliminate C.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3