Have been Accepted- Now how to Prep for MBA

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Hey Guys

I have been accepted at Johnson's One-Year MBA and am wait-listed at Kellogg. I have already been relieved from my job and want to dedicate next three months focusing on studying Financial Accounting, Managerial Eco and Micro-economics. I have'nt studied these subjects ever but have a good quant base. What would you suggest as the best approach. i really want to master the stuff before I go. Please suggest what courses I should take and fro where..Is youtube a good source? MOOCs from wharton are already occupied. Thanks!

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by cgottuso » Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:06 am
Full disclosure: I'm a CFA charterholder.

That said, I think L1 of the CFA program has a lot of what you're looking for, but it'll require you to study on your own. You can get 2014 textbooks for dirt cheap online and they cover financial accounting, macro and micro, and quantitative methods, among other things. Of course, using year-old text isn't advisable if you're trying to pass the exam, but the text isn't outdated for your purposes. It's got everything you need.

I've also heard good things about Coursera (https://www.coursera.org/courses). It aggregates videos from a variety of sources for you. I've never used it myself, but have friends that would recommend it.

Good luck!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by Dina@Fortuna » Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:43 am
Hello,
You can check around at continuing education schools near where you live if you prefer an in-person class. NYU has a large number of courses to prepare incoming MBA students through the School of Professional Studies and here's the website: https://www.scps.nyu.edu
If you prefer an online option, look into UC Berkeley's Online Extension program, under the Business section: https://extension.berkeley.edu/publicVie ... ethod=load

Good luck!
Dina
Dina Glasofer | Fortuna Admissions - a dream team of former Admissions Directors from the world's top business schools

Interested in a free 30-minute admissions consultation? Sign up on our website

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:13 members

by manyaabroadtpr » Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:25 pm
Hi synchrodestiny,

You can look at coursera and edx for free online courses.These courses are very good and you can attend them at your own pace.Let us know if you need any further help and we would be happy to guide.Wish you the best.

www.manyagroup.com

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by max_roper » Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:18 pm
Synchrodestiny, thank you for the post.

In addition to strenghtening your knowledge of Financial Accounting and Economics; have you considered enhancing your overall leadership skill-set? If so, instead of taking an academic course to master this skill, how about participating in a career-enhancing extracurricular activity?

If any of this is of interest to you, consider looking into professional groups such as Toastmasters, SCORE, Taproot Foundation, or USA Leadership Corps.

These groups provide opportunities to enhance your communication, analytical, and overall leadership skill while assisting others.

Enjoy the next few months!

Maxwell Roper
Outreach Director
USA Leadership Corps

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by synchrodestiny » Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:55 am
Thanks all of you guys..Gimme some time to digest the awesome info you have provided. Appreciated!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:7 members

by Michael@VeritasPrep » Sat Oct 24, 2015 4:57 pm
Something else I might consider is checking out your local community college to see if there are any good summer courses you could take advantage of. It will certainly be cost effective. Most importantly, it will get you back in the classroom mindset. Something that can take some time to reaclimate yourself to. Especially with only a one year program, you'll really have to hit the ground running. Good luck to you and keep us in the loop!