Profile Review, Please! 720GMAT Chemical Engineer

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Hello all,

I am in for round 2 this cycle, but want to know what you think of my profile:

27 year old Caucasian US Male
720 GMAT (Q49 V40 IR8 AWA4.5)
UG Major- Chemical Engineering 3.62 GPA, 3.8 in math and ChemE classes, Mid ranked Big Ten School

Work Experience: 2 years at top chemical manufacturer as a production engineer, 2 years at matriculation at a top consumer packaged goods company, working in manufacturing focused on continuous improvement and lean manufacturing, leadership experiences at both job by leading hourly work teams as well as leading projects across departments

EC's: Nothing too substantial, tutored throughout college (Paid and unpaid), lots of recreational sports leagues, some small volunteer jobs spreadout

MBA goal: Transition into brand management for a consumer goods company. My angle is that my analytical skills as well as experience in producing goods will give me a knowledge base that others in the brand roles may not have.

Applied to Kellogg and Booth this cycle.

Fire away!

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by Pottsmi1 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:59 am
Woops! somehow posted 3 times. Please delete 2 if you can

GMAT/MBA Expert

Legendary Member
Followed by:52 members

by CriticalSquareMBA » Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:17 am
Hey there! Thanks for sharing. Congrats on a great GMAT score! Your undergraduate GPA is strong as well, so from an academic perspective, I think you've crossed the initial hurdle. Your professional experience is pretty good - I like the development into leadership roles - hopefully you stressed this and were able to share some anecdotes of your leadership experiences in your essays. Your career goals make sense as well, but fair warning, your angle isn't necessarily unique.

Your ECs seem a bit weak (which I'm sure you've considered). The paid opportunities won't be looked at in the "giveback" category, so you're really only leaning on random volunteer jobs which might put you in a bit of bind. Have you taken on new volunteer initiatives since? In case you are waitlisted, you may want to consider how to shore this aspect of your candidacy up.

Best of luck on hearing back from both schools! If you have any questions as you move farther down the line in the process whether it's interview advice, waitlist strategies, or anything else don't hesitate to reach out!

Bhavik
Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Facebook | Twitter

We love helping! Was this post helpful to you? Thank us and let me know!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:13 members

by manyaabroadtpr » Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:36 pm
Hi Pottsmi1,

There's very little anybody can say at this point as you have already applied but your profile sounds good overall. I am not aware how you have presented it in the application but if you have done in the best possible manner then I am sure you have a chance. You GPA's etc are solid and GMAT is not bad either something which Booth looks at (very quant/analytical focussed).

Let us know if you have any further query and we would be happy to help.
www.manyagroup.com