530 in GMAT..anyone help? :(

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

530 in GMAT..anyone help? :(

by khhussainm » Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:49 pm
I am planning of applying to:
Wisconsin Madison,
Pittsburgh,
UMASS Amherst,
George Washington.

GMAT: 530

BSc (Hons) in Economics (Major) & Finance (Minor)
2010-2014
CGPA: 2.88

Work Experience:
Working in Family Business
as Manager Import
April/2014-Current

Gave my GMAT, but was so devastated by the result that I canceled the score. Even though it can be reinstated within 60 days, but I would like to know a take of someone with experience on this issue.
Last edited by khhussainm on Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:13 members

by manyaabroadtpr » Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:47 pm
Hi khhussainm,

To give you an honest opinion it would be better if you retake your GMAT. As I see your GPA is also a little on the lower so to offset that a higher GMAT would be a must. Are you an international student? I ask because further advice will be a bit more based on that.

www.manyagroup.com

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by khhussainm » Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:21 pm
manyaabroadtpr wrote:Hi khhussainm,

To give you an honest opinion it would be better if you retake your GMAT. As I see your GPA is also a little on the lower so to offset that a higher GMAT would be a must. Are you an international student? I ask because further advice will be a bit more based on that.

www.manyagroup.com
Thank you for your reply.
Yes I am international student. I would take gladly take the GMAT again but that cant be done before 8Feb15 as I just gave my first one on 7Jan15, so by then majority of ROUND 2 deadlines would end. Also, my hesitance to re-take is that how much can I expect this score to go up. I mean 530 to what ? I am devastated by the score :( How much higher can one expect to go from this low? Do you know people who might have? If they did, then how?

These are my two major concerns.

Regards

p.s

These were my GMAT scores

GMAT PREP Test 1: 540
GMAT PREP Test 2: 570
MANHATTAN PREP: 540
VERITAS PREP: 650
Actual GMAT: 530 :( :( :(

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:332 members

by Jon@Admissionado » Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:09 am
Hey dude,
Well first of all, don't get toooooo discouraged.. lots of people take the test multiple times. I'm SURE you can do better than this. and honestly this score is so low that you gotta retake! But, anyhow, you have nowhere to go but up. The important thing is that you prepare real real well before you retake that test. You don't want to take it tooo many times, and you have a lot of time till next year's applications... so just make sure you are coming away with the best score you can get

Best,
JF
"Hands down the best MBA admissions consulting firm of all-time, and boy, what an incredible founder!" -- Raj Patil, Founder of Admissionado

Something for everyone:
https://admissionado.lpages.co/admissio ... nter-2018/
https://admissionado.lpages.co/50-essay ... ked-vol-4/
https://admissionado.lpages.co/case-studies-lp/
https://admissionado.com/mba/reviews/
https://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Admis ... 700945.htm

Reach out, and let's gab. Our only requirement is that you don't prefer warm milk over cold milk. Everyone else, 100% welcome.
Email: [email protected]
Phone: 866-409-4753
Hit us up on WhatsApp.
Ping our satellite: 0884#&@-2#101101
Contact us via web form you lazy git: https://admissionado.com/contact/
Mostly, email Claudia.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Legendary Member
Followed by:52 members

by CriticalSquareMBA » Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:07 am
Hey there!

Thanks for your note asking for me to chime in - I'm happy to help! The short answer to your question is that you should really try to take the GMAT one more time. I realize you're a bit discouraged based on your recent performance, but the truth is that the thought of you boosting your score to 600 isn't that far fetched. Looking at the ranges, you would currently sit on the low end of the GMAT and on the low end of the GPA, so boosting your GMAT is fairly important.

Now, to your point, you won't be able to do it before some of the remaining R2 deadlines, but in looking at your work experience, you may want to push until next year anyway. Spending a bit of time to gear up for another go at the GMAT and building on your work experience could make you a much more viable candidate for these schools next year!

Hope this helps! Best of luck!

Bhavik
Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Facebook | Twitter

We love helping! Was this post helpful to you? Thank us and let me know!

by manyaabroadtpr » Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:59 am
Hello All,

Attend Our Webinar Today: Options are still open to Study Abroad, Fall 2015!

Date: Wednesday, January 14th 2015

Time: 6:00 pm to 7:00 pm

Regsiter for Free: https://www.manyagroup.com/admissionwebinar/

www.manyagroup.com

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:11 pm
Hi khhussainm,

While it's understandable that you'd be unhappy about this score, it's "in range" of most of your practice CAT scores (the 650 is an 'outlier' that you weren't able to repeat, thus we have to question the accuracy of that score), so it shouldn't be too much of a surprise. While this probably effects your immediate plans, you should NOT allow it to impact your *big picture* plans. The goal is still to get the MBA - if you have to alter your plans to get there, then so be it. You can either apply for Round 3 or push your applications back until Round 1 of the next cycle.

If you can tell me a bit about how you studied, then I'll be happy to advise:

1) How long did you study for the GMAT?
2) What resources did you use?
3) What were your Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores on your Official GMAT and each of your practice CATs?
4) Did you take the ENTIRE CAT every time (including the Essay and IR sections)?

Thankfully, Business Schools won't care that you cancelled this score. Also, since the GMAT is a predictable, standardized Test, you CAN train to score at a higher level. You just haven't done so yet.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

by manyaabroadtpr » Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:27 am
khhussainm wrote: Thank you for your reply.
Yes I am international student. I would take gladly take the GMAT again but that cant be done before 8Feb15 as I just gave my first one on 7Jan15, so by then majority of ROUND 2 deadlines would end. Also, my hesitance to re-take is that how much can I expect this score to go up. I mean 530 to what ? I am devastated by the score :( How much higher can one expect to go from this low? Do you know people who might have? If they did, then how?

These are my two major concerns.

Regards

p.s

These were my GMAT scores

GMAT PREP Test 1: 540
GMAT PREP Test 2: 570
MANHATTAN PREP: 540
VERITAS PREP: 650
Actual GMAT: 530 :( :( :(
Hi khhussainm,

If you notice, the scores have never dipped below 530 which could mean that you pace all your tests in almost the same way. Vary the pace and see. Invest more time on questions you are sure to do good and guess aggressively on the ones you don't even if they come in the first 15 questions. Of course, you would also have to gain proficiency in 2 types of questions such as CR and SC or CR and RC and see that you gain accuracy in those questions. Sentence correction must get strong so work on grammar rules and on the ability to spot the grammar error without delay. Do not get disheartened , once your techniques improve, you could jump to a 650. Do not keep taking tests , instead work on gaining accuracy in the practice questions of OG and other sources.

Let us know if you have any further queries.
www.manyagroup.com

Followed by:7 members

by Michael@VeritasPrep » Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:31 pm
Would you consider taking the GMAT again? I would definitely recommend you consider it. Especially if you were scoring so much better on practice tests. I would also check out potentially using a test prep service to make sure you can squeeze out every potential point on the test. Doing better on the GMAT will open up a whole new world of schools to you.
Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who's right for you. Meet our team!
Register for a free MBA Admissions Workshop!