Request for Profile Evaluation

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Followed by:1 members

Request for Profile Evaluation

by adityathapar1987 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:49 am
Hi,
Request you to kindly brief me about my chances in the colleges as per my profile (Male/27/Indian/Non-IT):

GMAT: 700 (Q49 V 36 AWA5)
Undergrad: BTech Civil Engineering from top 5 NIT's in India- NIT Kurukshetra (CGPA- 8.28/10)
Xth: 88%
XIIth: 82.8%
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Work Ex: 4+ Years In Project Management- Contracts, Tendering and Estimation of Civil Works involved in Thermal Power Plants
Sector: Power and Energy

Job Description:
- Erection Cost Estimation for Civil & Building Packages for Boiler, Turbine and Generator Island package in Thermal Power projects pan India.
- Pre bid coordination with Sub Contractors & offer negotiation based on the estimate prepared.
- Involved in the bidding process for projects having worth more than 5000 crores.
- Leading a 2 Engineers team and approx. 30 sub-ordinates at various Project Sites throughout India
- Efficient Preparation of project planning, review of monthly invoicing plan etc
- Sound understanding of Pre Engineered Buildings design- A fast growing industry in the Indian Sector
- Preparation of Contract Agreements, Placing Purchase Order in ERP, Erection protocols and methodologies.

Major Clients : NTPC, GMR, Tata Power

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Personal Ventures/Achievements:
- Started my own business of Fuel Gel in 2011. Manufacturing, marketing and distribution of Fuel Gel across Haryana. Annual turnover above 15 lakhs.
Initiated the process to setup factory level business in North India. Have Set up a factory in my hometown after meeting success in the business.
- Involved in the Upliftment of the underprivileged students at one of the schools for the poor since 2012.
- Active member of CSR operational committee of organisation since 2012. Initiated Following programmes under CSR in 2014:
1. Beggars Upliftment Programme
2. Swach Bharat Abhyaan- Gurgaon Chapter (Doosan,India)
- Received best volunteer award for the year 2014 from MD of the organisation.
- Marathon Champion in School.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Other involvements:
- Represented Civil Engineering Department batch 2k6 in the Placement advisory committee of NIT Kurukshetra 2009-2010.
- Lots of Membership Certificates and Awards in Sports and co- curricular activities
- President of techno cultural society of Civil Dept in College.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Schools I want to target :
1. NUS
2. HEC Paris
3. INSEAD France
4. UNC- Kennan Flagler
5. Duke
6. IE Spain
7. ISB Hyderabad
8. Pennstate Smeal

My main ambition is to start my own construction company after having 8-10 years of work experience post my MBA.
As I mentioned in my profile that I am already running a business of Fuel Gel since 2011, I would like to take it further while focusing more on the Construction Industry . The Fuel Gel Business is unique in itself and I started along side my job as an alternate source of Income.

I have a strong database of Contacts with Leading construction companies of India Like Gammon India, L&T and Simplex Infra to name a few. I have negotiated with these firms at the highest level and have experience in award of contracts.

I feel this is right juncture of my life at which I should go for an MBA and work on a managerial level position to understand the other aspects of business like Financial Acumen, Strategy Decisions etc.

Please let me know my chances for the above mentioned schools. Also, I would like to about INSEAD in particular as they have an extra-ordinary programme for the entrepreneurship. With my long term plan clearly in my mind, do you think I stand a Chance at it (Insead)?.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Aditya

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:13 members

by manyaabroadtpr » Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:47 pm
Hi Aditya,

The schools you have mentioned look good according to your profile. INSEAD is one school which looks for international exposure but I don't exactly see that in your profile. Nevertheless, I feel you can apply.

Hope this helps.Let us know if you have any further query.

www.manyagroup.com

by adityathapar1987 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:10 pm
Hi Manyaa,

Thanks for the response.

Before starting my career in the power sector, I was involved with a Pre Engeering Building Industry involved in the EPC jobs across India. I have 1 year experience with the PEB industry in India and 2 months international exposure in Dubai & Ras Al Khaimah for PEB Jobs. I worked extensively on the PEB design and quantity estimation there.

Although a short stint, will that be of any help?

Awaiting your response.

Regards,
Aditya Thapar

GMAT/MBA Expert

Legendary Member
Followed by:52 members

by CriticalSquareMBA » Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:00 pm
Hi Aditya!

Really appreciate all of the detail in your profile!

You've got a decent academic background - both your GMAT and undergraduate performance are in range (50th%-75th%) for your target schools but they're not differentiators. Especially for a program like Duke or INSEAD where Indian applicants have much higher medians than the class profile.

I like your work experience - it would be great to learn more about how your career progressed and matured over time. Your personal venture experience can be a great aspect to your story. In reviewing your giveback/extracurricular activities - be sure to call out the results you had in all that you did. Being a member of clubs and groups is great, but we want to make sure that you highlight the projects and initiatives that you led and had a meaningful impact on!

After clarifying your international experience, I think INSEAD is in scope for you so it's worth giving it a shot! But you should consider diversifying a bit too (so a couple more in the 25 - 35 range).

Bhavik
Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Facebook | Twitter

We love helping! Was this post helpful to you? Thank us and let me know!

by adityathapar1987 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:11 am
Hi Bhavik,

Appreciate your help in profile evaluation.

I have been researching on the internet a lot of late and found that European economy is in doldrums at the moment.

Having said that, I am sure that schools like INSEAD with their brilliant placement record in the past years would not be affected much. But I still have some doubt for the other European Schools.

What's your take on this as in do you recommend applying to other ones or not?

Regards,
Aditya

GMAT/MBA Expert

Legendary Member

by CriticalSquareMBA » Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:53 am
It's difficult to predict macro factors 2 - 3 years out but there are a host of countries considering anti-immigration legislation and THAT should be of more concern. The economy would recover by the time you graduate but if there is legal movement restricting the inflow of immigrants, it won't matter what school you go to, you'll have an uphill climb. That said, a great degree (and INSEAD is a great degree) insulates you to a pretty decent degree. So if you're interested in applying, definitely do. But like I said, maybe diversify a bit!

Bhavik

Web | Facebook | Twitter

by adityathapar1987 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:58 am
CriticalSquareMBA wrote:It's difficult to predict macro factors 2 - 3 years out but there are a host of countries considering anti-immigration legislation and THAT should be of more concern. The economy would recover by the time you graduate but if there is legal movement restricting the inflow of immigrants, it won't matter what school you go to, you'll have an uphill climb. That said, a great degree (and INSEAD is a great degree) insulates you to a pretty decent degree. So if you're interested in applying, definitely do. But like I said, maybe diversify a bit!

Bhavik
Hi,

Thanks for the input Bhavik.

Of course, I would be applying to the colleges in 25-35 range as well but as you know most of those colleges fall in US and being an Indian Applicant, I am not going for R3 deadlines. Come august/September and I would be applying in those colleges for sure if I am not able to break it for INSEAD or NUS.

Perhaps what you said for the anti- immigration laws is true and most disturbing at the moment. Few weeks back only I read something about the VISA problems for UK due to new stringent policies. So , I will keep that in mind.

As far as a great degree or a decent degree is concerned, can you please tell which category HEC Paris belongs to as I am planning to apply on 1st March Deadline for January 2016 Fall. Your advise can be of great help to me in this case.

Regards,
Aditya Thapar

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:13 members

by manyaabroadtpr » Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:11 am
adityathapar1987 wrote:Hi Manyaa,

Thanks for the response.

Before starting my career in the power sector, I was involved with a Pre Engeering Building Industry involved in the EPC jobs across India. I have 1 year experience with the PEB industry in India and 2 months international exposure in Dubai & Ras Al Khaimah for PEB Jobs. I worked extensively on the PEB design and quantity estimation there.

Although a short stint, will that be of any help?

Awaiting your response.

Regards,
Aditya Thapar
Hi Aditya,

I agree with Bhavik and would also emphasize on diversifying your international experience. The length and depth of the international exposure is what counts. As far as European economy is concerned like Bhavik pointed out you would be graduating after 2 years and the economy can either improve or deteriorate further. Jobs to a great extent depend on your capabilities and the networks you build in the MBA classroom and INSEAD being INSEAD boasts of more than 50 nationalities under one roof so you need to capitalize on that and build your buffers if the economy doesn't improve.

www.manyagroup.com

GMAT/MBA Expert

Legendary Member

by CriticalSquareMBA » Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:15 am
Hey Aditya,

You're very welcome! HEC is a fantastic institution - definitely one of the top institutions in Europe so you're in good hands there.

Bhavik

Web | Facebook | Twitter