Super Quick Study

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Super Quick Study

by Effe SB » Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:48 am
Awesome site guys. So many inspiring stories here. Just sad that i didn't find it earlier. Please i wanted to ask you guys if you think it is possible to prep for the GMAT test in 2 weeks and still get a great score(700+) and if so how? Any help will be enormously appreciated.Thanks

Legendary Member
Followed by:140 members
GMAT Score:800

by MartyMurray » Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:46 am
Effe SB wrote:Awesome site guys. So many inspiring stories here. Just sad that i didn't find it earlier. Please i wanted to ask you guys if you think it is possible to prep for the GMAT test in 2 weeks and still get a great score(700+) and if so how? Any help will be enormously appreciated.Thanks
That depends.

For one thing, some people start off pretty well prepared for the GMAT and score 700+ after just taking a little time to familiarize themselves with the test.

So obviously, your current level of proficiency in things like basic math and reading comprehension is a key factor here.

Regarding what you would need to do, that depends on where you are at this point with all this and on what you have done so far.

Generally speaking, your best shot would come from some version of this.

Become familiar with the test and the basics upon which the questions are based. Then take a GMAT Prep practice CAT to get a sense of the test and of what you could work on to drive your score to your target. Then methodically learn and practice to increase knowledge and skill. Take another GMAT Prep CAT toward the middle of the second week. Assess what else you can do, and prepare some more during the final stretch before the test.

Of course pushing the test date back, if that makes sense at all, would only cost fifty bucks.
Marty Murray
Perfect Scoring Tutor With Over a Decade of Experience
MartyMurrayCoaching.com
Contact me at [email protected] for a free consultation.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:19 am
Effe SB wrote:Awesome site guys. So many inspiring stories here. Just sad that i didn't find it earlier. Please i wanted to ask you guys if you think it is possible to prep for the GMAT test in 2 weeks and still get a great score(700+) and if so how? Any help will be enormously appreciated.Thanks
It's tough to answer your question without a few pieces of key information.
- What's your target score?
- How are your GMAT skills currently?
- How many hours do you intend to study each day?

To get an idea of the required prep time, take an official practice test: https://www.mba.com/the-gmat/download-fr ... tware.aspx
It may be the case that you're already scoring above 700, in which case you may not need to prepare at all.
Or it may be the case that you're 450 points away from your target score, in which case 2 weeks is unrealistic.

That said, it is VERY RARE for someone to score 700+ after only 2 weeks of prep. Then again, you might be "the one."

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members

by [email protected] » Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:32 am
Hi Effe SB,

Without a basis for comparison, the 'short' answer is really "NO" - the overall GMAT is not something that most people can "cram" for and score at the 700+ level. There are always exceptions, of course, but 90% of Test Takers can't score 700+ even when they have lots of time to study, so the odds of scoring at that level with just 2 weeks of work are slim.

I assume that you're asking because you want to get in a Business School application by some quickly-approaching deadline. The process of applying to Business School is a BIG task and the competition is heavy. You don't want to rush through any part of that process. Remember that the *real* goal is to get into your first choice Business School - all of the decisions that you make should be to maximize the chances of THAT happening.

Most Test Takers spend 3 months (or more) on their GMAT studies to hit their respective "peak" scores. If your GMAT score goal is to hit 700+, then you have to give yourself the necessary time, and put in the necessary effort, to do so.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

by Effe SB » Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:59 am
Thank you very much for the response guys. Truth is i have been studying for about a year now. i did about 4 months intensive study on my own with the Manhattan Gmat materials to familiarize myself with the exam. i actually had to defer the start of my Masters program a whole year because of the exam. it has been a tough and "emotional" year of studies for me if i can put it that way. i can't bear to fail any exam especially this one. I started going over the materials a week ago and i am getting most of the Maths concepts now. my strength in the Verbal is good. I am trying to build up speed with my answer time now, especially with the Quant which is my greatest challenge. i took a CAT prep test about a month ago- my first ever- and i scored 460. but i wasn't so worried about that because i had not studied in a while. i will take two full prep tests before the exams though. And ohh i do want to score 700+. i can't imagine writing this exams twice. it won't do any good for my confidence going into Business school. Thank you again.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:03 am
Hi Effe SB,

You've described some things that I'm hoping that you can clarify:

1) Have you been accepted to a Masters Program already or is starting that Program dependent on a GMAT score?
2) When you studied with the MGMAT materials for 4 months, did you take ANY practice CATs? If so, then what were those scores?
3) You mentioned the CAT that you took a month ago. Was it a FULL-length CAT (including the Essay and IR sections)?
4) Have you taken any other practice CATs since?

With a 460 as a basis for comparison, you can't expect to score 700+ in 2 weeks. So, now the questions are:

1) Is this a "fixed" deadline or can it be pushed back?
2) Is a 700+ required or just a score that you *want*?
3) What score range would be considered acceptable in lieu of a 700+?
4) What's more important: taking the GMAT in 2 weeks or scoring 700+?
4) What is your overall timeline/plan supposed to be as far as taking the GMAT, starting your Master's Program and anything else relevant is concerned?

Rich

by Effe SB » Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:00 am
Hi Rich

Thanks so much for you interest in my plight and the desire to help me out. To answer your questions;
1. Yes i have been accepted to a Masters Program on the condition that i write the GMAT Test. They mentioned somewhere in the letter that they usually have a pass mark of 600. (i want to score 700 or above though)
2. no, i did not take a single CAT then. i felt to unprepared to take one.
3. no, the CAT that i took a month ago wasn't a full length one. it did include the IR though and my score on that one was abysmal and i have idea how to make that better. Switching through all those tables and prompts... mmmh
4. i will take a CAT in 2 days and one before my exams which is in about 14 days.

There is no real fixed deadline for me to submit my score. if there is it will be sometime in June but i need to take the test early for a final Acceptance letter which i'll need to apply for scholarships by the end of February.
Hmm. You asked some good questions and i am thinking about all the answers but i don't want to push my date back. Please can you help me with suggestions on how to work on my time when answering Quant questions.
Thank again Rich.

Legendary Member
Followed by:140 members

by MartyMurray » Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:17 am
First let's discuss the following, which you said.
i can't imagine writing this exams twice. it won't do any good for my confidence going into Business school.
To succeed on this test and in school you would do well to consider adjusting something about that. You can't let things like a tough question, or getting behind on time, or having to take a test twice, shake your confidence. There is a guy who posted on this forum that he has taken the test six times, and he will probably take it another time. He just keeps at it and has been driving up his score. We can all learn from him.

Regarding timing on quant, one thing I have been doing is being more conscious of time it takes to do problems, even when I am doing one slowly as I learn something. Also I notice that there are simple things I can do to save time. For instance I had a habit of rereading questions, to no end really. Now I seek to only reread when I really need to in order to answer the question. If I need to reread, fine, but if I don't then I have to be careful to just move on and work on the problem. Also, even the descriptions in word problems can suck up time. Does it matter that the students go to Happy Valley High School when I am seeking to figure out how many take both English and math? Not really. So I am making sure I don't get distracted by things like that.

Guessing on questions that one pretty obviously will not complete in anywhere close to two minutes is another way to save time and to have more time to do other questions that one can complete quickly.

Next step, take a practice CAT and see how you are doing. If you are at or near your goal, then your two week time frame sounds good. If you are far from it, or well below that 600 cutoff, even pushing back the test date a week or two would significantly augment your time to increase your skills and your score.
Marty Murray
Perfect Scoring Tutor With Over a Decade of Experience
MartyMurrayCoaching.com
Contact me at [email protected] for a free consultation.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:57 pm
Hi Effe SB,

You say that application for scholarships isn't due until the end of February, but you're planning to take the GMAT in 2 weeks. I'm not clear about why you can't push back your Test Date. Using the 460 as a basis for comparison, It is highly unlikely that you're going to improve enough in the next 2 weeks to score a 600, much less a 700. Are you taking the GMAT in January so that you'll have another chance at it in February?

Rich

by Effe SB » Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:09 am
Hi Rich,

Thanks for all the sound advice. I am considering pushing my test date back now. i will decide after my next CAT. I will let you know how that one goes. Your replies are very appreciated and yes i do have time. I just want to get this exam done with so that i can concentrate on other things that i have stalled just because of this test. I even quit my job because i wanted full time concentration.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:13 members

by manyaabroadtpr » Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:14 pm
Hi Effe,

It is indeed a wise decision that you have taken to decide on your GMAT date on the basis of your performance in next CAT.We can see your enthusiasm to score a 700+ in your GMAT.Therefore, we would advise you to follow these steps which will definitely help you bring your scores up.

Give as many mock tests as you can in real test taking situations. More important than taking a mock test is to analyse your performance in the same. If you spend 2 hours on a mock test, spend 6 hours in analyzing the same. Figure out ways by which you can continuously keep improving your score. Identify any gap areas.

Doing this will not only improve your speed and your score, it will also help you to focus and concentrate on your exam more.

Hope this helps.Let us know if you need any further help regarding your GMAT preparations and we would be happy to guide.

www.manyagroup.com