Deferring gmat for a year , need suggestions

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
hello everyone,

i scored 640(Q48 V30) in GMAT on 5th december,14.

I planned to retake GMAT on 21st jan,15. I started preparing for the exam 20th December due to some reason.
I had taken a GMAT prep mock test (720 Q48 v40) before i took gmat.i consistently scored 700 in five tests. I took only GMAT prep tests and got a few repeated questions.

i have given mgmat1 and scored 630(Q45 V32) on 21st December,14. i put a lot of effort in Quant from last 10 days .i have not taken any mock recently.
I wanted to apply for ISB YLP. I will not be able to apply for YLP if i postpone GMAT.

But,I am now considering to postpone the GMAT for almost 8-9 months because :

1) I fear that if i didn't scored well in second test ,taking gmat multiple times will not be a good point to show in application in future.
2) The reason for choosing YLP is that I had a startup but it failed for some reason. I thought it would be a nice option to again initiate under the 2 year guidance that we get in deferred admission in YLP.
3) Early Entry Option in ISB and few other colleges allows me to accomplish same goal.
4) Our college placement will start in 7 months and i need to put a lot of effort to secure a good placement. someone told me that type of job experience also plays major role in applications.

Please give suggestions on my decision . If i give the exam after almost 9 months will i be able to remember and apply the concepts as i do now?
I am worried about verbal section.

Thanks everyone :)

Legendary Member
Followed by:140 members
GMAT Score:800

by MartyMurray » Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:28 am
First, MGMAT scores tend to come in a little low. So maybe you should take a different mock test to create a basis for further assessing your situation. An alternative source of CATs is Veritas. So you could start by taking their free CAT.

On another note, it sounds as if you have spent just a few weeks preparing. If this is the case, it doesn't sound as if you should worry too much about losing skills you have developed. You would retain some and could easily get the rest back with some review. Then again that may not be the case.

So that is one detail that maybe you could provide, how much preparing you have done so far.

In any case, depending on your situation and goals it may make sense to put off the test and then spend months preparing. So any skill decline that might occur in the interim would be largely irrelevant.
Marty Murray
Perfect Scoring Tutor With Over a Decade of Experience
MartyMurrayCoaching.com
Contact me at [email protected] for a free consultation.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members

by [email protected] » Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:01 pm
Hi pranay04k,

First off, a 640 is a good score (it's right around the 80th percentile), so that score might be enough to get you into Business School. If you do plan to retest, it's usually best to retest sooner rather than later, since all of this GMAT knowledge is fresh in your mind.

I'd like to know a bit more about how you have been studying:

1) How long did you study?
2) What materials did you use to study?
3) What is your goal score?
4) When you took your practice CATs, did you take the ENTIRE CAT (including the Essay and IR sections)?

Business Schools do not care how many times you take the GMAT, so that should not be a concern. The overall application for Business School involves many "pieces" besides the GMAT - work experience, essays, letters of recommendation, etc. are all a part of the process. If you have not yet done so, you should download a copy of the application from each of the Schools that you're planning to apply to so that you can learn about everything that you need to put together when you apply.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

by pranay04k » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:19 am
Marty Murray wrote:First, MGMAT scores tend to come in a little low. So maybe you should take a different mock test to create a basis for further assessing your situation. An alternative source of CATs is Veritas. So you could start by taking their free CAT.

On another note, it sounds as if you have spent just a few weeks preparing. If this is the case, it doesn't sound as if you should worry too much about losing skills you have developed. You would retain some and could easily get the rest back with some review. Then again that may not be the case.

So that is one detail that maybe you could provide, how much preparing you have done so far.

In any case, depending on your situation and goals it may make sense to put off the test and then spend months preparing. So any skill decline that might occur in the interim would be largely irrelevant.
Thanks Marty

by pranay04k » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:19 am
Marty Murray wrote:First, MGMAT scores tend to come in a little low. So maybe you should take a different mock test to create a basis for further assessing your situation. An alternative source of CATs is Veritas. So you could start by taking their free CAT.

Thanks Marty

by pranay04k » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:20 am
[email protected] wrote:Hi pranay04k,

First off, a 640 is a good score (it's right around the 80th percentile), so that score might be enough to get you into Business School. If you do plan to retest, it's usually best to retest sooner rather than later, since all of this GMAT knowledge is fresh in your mind.

I'd like to know a bit more about how you have been studying:

1) How long did you study?
2) What materials did you use to study?
3) What is your goal score?
4) When you took your practice CATs, did you take the ENTIRE CAT (including the Essay and IR sections)?

Business Schools do not care how many times you take the GMAT, so that should not be a concern. The overall application for Business School involves many "pieces" besides the GMAT - work experience, essays, letters of recommendation, etc. are all a part of the process. If you have not yet done so, you should download a copy of the application from each of the Schools that you're planning to apply to so that you can learn about everything that you need to put together when you apply.

Rich
Thanks Rich for an early reply.
I studied for 8 months and used OG, MGMAT SC , and questions extracted from GMAT Prep tests.
My goal score is 720. I never took entire CAT. I only took Quant and Verbal Sections.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members

by [email protected] » Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:18 am
Hi pranay04k,

By not taking the ENTIRE CAT every time, you were not properly training to face the full GMAT. You were scoring well on a 2.5 hour long Test that started with the Quant section. On Test Day though, by the time you got to the Verbal section, about 3 hours had gone by so you were likely a bit tired and unable to perform at a higher level.

While there's no way to know for sure, IF your ONLY problem right now is endurance-based, then you could retake the GMAT relatively soon and score at a higher level. Since you've been studying this way for 8 months though, it might take some time to get you acclimated to taking the full Test. To that end, if you do plan to keep with your studies, then you MUST make sure to make every CAT you take 'realistic' from now on. So....no skipping sections, no retaking a CAT that you've already taken, no pausing the Test, etc.

Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:13 members

by manyaabroadtpr » Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:44 pm
pranay04k wrote:hello everyone,

i scored 640(Q48 V30) in GMAT on 5th december,14.

I planned to retake GMAT on 21st jan,15. I started preparing for the exam 20th December due to some reason.
I had taken a GMAT prep mock test (720 Q48 v40) before i took gmat.i consistently scored 700 in five tests. I took only GMAT prep tests and got a few repeated questions.

i have given mgmat1 and scored 630(Q45 V32) on 21st December,14. i put a lot of effort in Quant from last 10 days .i have not taken any mock recently.
I wanted to apply for ISB YLP. I will not be able to apply for YLP if i postpone GMAT.

But,I am now considering to postpone the GMAT for almost 8-9 months because :

1) I fear that if i didn't scored well in second test ,taking gmat multiple times will not be a good point to show in application in future.
2) The reason for choosing YLP is that I had a startup but it failed for some reason. I thought it would be a nice option to again initiate under the 2 year guidance that we get in deferred admission in YLP.
3) Early Entry Option in ISB and few other colleges allows me to accomplish same goal.
4) Our college placement will start in 7 months and i need to put a lot of effort to secure a good placement. someone told me that type of job experience also plays major role in applications.

Please give suggestions on my decision . If i give the exam after almost 9 months will i be able to remember and apply the concepts as i do now?
I am worried about verbal section.

Thanks everyone :)
Hi pranay04k,

Once you are through with your basics you keep giving practice tests.Give as many tests as you can in real test taking environment.Don't just give the tests, also spend time to analyze your each and every test.Go back to each question and try to figure out faster and smarter way to solve the same questions.Identify your strong and weak areas and make changes in your preparation accordingly.This way you will not only keep practicing the questions but also it will maintain your zeal of giving an exam.

You can definitely apply in the EEO option.

Hope this helps.Let us know if you have any further query.Wish you the best.

www.manyagroup.com