Business School with Online Degree

Launched June 18, 2009
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Business School with Online Degree

by Venator86 » Wed Dec 24, 2014 6:49 pm
Hello -

I am currently studying for the GMAT (and will not rest until I have achieved a 720+ score, which seems likely given my practice exams).

My worry is that I am now 28, and graduated from a community college with my Associates degree at age 20 with a GPA of 2.75. I went back to school at an online university, Jones International University, and graduated when I was 27 with a GPA of 4.0, graduating Summa Cum Laude.

As I gain work experience, it is glaringly apparent that I will struggle to get into a top business school like Wharton or Columbia.

I am genuinely curious what the expert opinions are on this. Has it been done? Will I even get into a back-up school like Rutgers, or am I doomed because of my lazy childhood?

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:11 members

by mbaMissionJenK » Fri Dec 26, 2014 6:03 pm
Hi there,

Hmm, not sure I'm completely following; do you have any/much full-time work experience? Generally b-schools would prefer that you have 3-5 years of full time work experience after undergrad...perhaps you can work a couple of years first and then apply? Still finish that GMAT prep and get your score as the scores are valid for 5 years? Another suggestion for further research is to contact some admissions offices at schools you are considering and get some advice too...but yes top 10-25 schools will likely be challenging no matter what... beyond that with several years of strong work experience things may look alright at that point...
Jennifer Kedrowski
MBA Admissions Consultant
www.mbamission.com
[email protected]

Register for a Free Consult from mbaMission: https://www.mbamission.com/consult.php

Visit the mbaMission Blog: www.mbamission.com/blog

Follow mbaMission on Twitter: https://twitter.com/mbaMission

Like mbaMission on Facebook: www.facebook.com/mbaMission

Read the Free mbaMission School-Specific Insider's Guides: www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders

by Venator86 » Sun Dec 28, 2014 12:45 pm
To clarify - at 20 I started my own business/self-employed. I lived on that from 20-25 then went back to school to finish my Bachelors. However, I chose an online college (Jones International University) so I could continue working full-time and finish my BBA in Finance. The intention initially was to use the degree to apply to Officer Training School for the US Air Force, but I was swayed to try my hand in private wealth management instead. After I finished the degree at age 27, I started doing internships for Financial Services in private wealth management for the last 16 months. So all in total, I have 6 years in sales to high net-worth individuals from being self employed, and then an additional 16-months of work experience in private wealth management. At 28 years old, I don't think it's appropriate for me to work until I'm 33 before applying to b-school where I'd be until I'm 35.

My main concern is, will any reputable school take a "distance" undergrad from a non-target regardless of GPA or work experience? Say I have 5-years of experience in Finance already; would they even consider me in light of my degree?

by Venator86 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:44 pm
Thank you anyway.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:11 members

by mbaMissionJenK » Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:14 pm
Ok, well having full-time work experience makes a big difference I would say; and as low as your undergrad grades were, at least you did work hard on that online degree and achieve strong grades. It's all relative... would be better if the original grades were not what they were... or if the later degree was from a better school... .but still better to show your determination and ability rather than not doing so. Your GMAT will be another place to demonstrate that you can handle the program. But overall it will be a bit of an uphill battle and your job is to demonstrate who you are, explain your story, explain why you need this degree, explain why each school is right for you etc... your chances will be better outside the top 20/25, but that's just a rough guideline, and beyond that really depends upon how you present yourself and your story; you recommendations and essays; etc. Good luck on everything!
Jennifer Kedrowski
MBA Admissions Consultant
www.mbamission.com
[email protected]

Register for a Free Consult from mbaMission: https://www.mbamission.com/consult.php

Visit the mbaMission Blog: www.mbamission.com/blog

Follow mbaMission on Twitter: https://twitter.com/mbaMission

Like mbaMission on Facebook: www.facebook.com/mbaMission

Read the Free mbaMission School-Specific Insider's Guides: www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders