DS strategy

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

DS strategy

by radhika88 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:31 am
Hello,

I plan to take my GMAT in the couple of months and I have been focusing on the OG so far. I've been using the BTG 60 day study guide & while reviewing the answer choices, I see that my PS has a much better accuracy as compared to DS for the same topic. I am really not sure as to how to fix this. Should I re-do the concepts or is there any other approach?

Any help is highly appreciated!
Thanks
Radhika

Legendary Member
Followed by:140 members
GMAT Score:800

by MartyMurray » Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:25 am
radhika88 wrote:Hello,

I plan to take my GMAT in the couple of months and I have been focusing on the OG so far. I've been using the BTG 60 day study guide & while reviewing the answer choices, I see that my PS has a much better accuracy as compared to DS for the same topic. I am really not sure as to how to fix this. Should I re-do the concepts or is there any other approach?
DS is just a different animal. It takes a fair amount of practice to get good at it and it helps to learn some key things.

For instance, DS questions are often set up so that it seems that both statements are needed when in reality only one of them is. This is called a C trap, because it tricks people into choosing C. Once one becomes aware of this and sees it in action multiple times, one will be much less likely to fall for it again.

There are other things one can pick up, such as using an obviously insufficient statement to gain insight into what is going on in a problem. These tricks and techniques are discussed in many places online and in materials other than the OG.

Once you have done all the DS problems in the OG, then probably you would be well served by going to an online question bank and doing dozens more until you become totally comfortable with how they work and really get how to get them right.

It's good that you have a couple of months to process all this and get good at DS.
Marty Murray
Perfect Scoring Tutor With Over a Decade of Experience
MartyMurrayCoaching.com
Contact me at [email protected] for a free consultation.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:44 am
radhika88 wrote:Hello,

Any help is highly appreciated!
Thanks
Radhika
Hi Radhika,

Everyone struggles with Data Sufficiency (DS) questions at first. This question type is totally unique to the GMAT, so it's foreign territory.

If you're looking for some extra DS resources, we have a free set of videos that cover everything you need to know: https://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat-data-sufficiency

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com