SUNY Polytechnic vs SUNY Albany (online, vs traditional)

Figure out where you wish to apply
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
I was hoping to get some advice on my choice of school. Im debating between SUNY Albany and SUNY Polytechnic (formerly Institute of Technology) for my MBA program.

One point of concern is that SUNY Poly is a online program. Now I live very near to SUNY Poly and about an hour and a half away from SUNY Albany. So just from a convenience standpoint (especially cost), SUNY Poly would definitely be more favorable. However, my main concern is the idea of a traditional classroom setting vs. an online one. I cant help but feel I would somehow be "missing out" on hands on experience by not being in the classroom setting. Admittedly, I have not had too much experience with online courses so Im not too familiar with the benefits of them vs a more traditional setting.

My other main hold up is the idea of SUNY Poly being a "safe school". I can't get over the idea of equating a "safe school" with somehow being of less quality than another school. Again, this mostly comes down to the idea that I would somehow being missing out on certain experiences by studying online. However, SUNY Poly is seemingly gaining much more prestige in recent years with a heavy investment from the state and economic opportunities that are coming to the school campus.

Important note: Both programs are AACSB accredited

If anyone could provide any advice I would greatly appreciate it.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:8 members

by interviewbay22 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:09 am
Hello

You need to understand that MBA is a practical degree and therefore very different from any masters level degree. Like a med student can only become a doctor by studying and treating patients in hospitals, MBA students become leaders by applying their knowledge in a practical setting. Moreover, in MBA programs, you don't merely learn from your professors but also from the experiences of your classmates. The relationships you would form and the network that you would be a part of will provide excellent opportunities for internships and subsequent placements. Therefore, I would suggest you to go SUNY ALbany and not the online program.

Hope this helps

All the Best

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

www.InterviewBay.com

Application Reviews & Mock Interviews by Alumni of Your Target B-school

Check out our free e-book on How to Get Into a Top Business School https://www.interviewbay.com/mba/how-to- ... -ebook.php