Kaplan On-Site Course Starts in Jan 21st - Online Access Now

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
GMAT Score:510
All -

I'm Santiago, based in Miami, and am planning to apply on 2015.

I have signed up for Kaplan's on-site course, and have access to their online materials as we speak.

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to how to best take advantage of their resources, since I don't want to wait until the course starts.

FYI - I have done a couple of Princeton Books already (Math, Verbal), and have done all the quant section of an old OG book (the one with the Brown cover, pre IR section), so as to refresh my quant skills and to get the hang of the type of questions to expect.

If anyone has any input whatsoever it would be greatly appreciated.

Santiago

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:30 pm
Hi Santiago,

It's interesting that you've been granted access a full month before your Course starts. You should check the expiration date on your online access to make sure that it lines up with the end of your Course and your planned Official Test Date.

Before starting the Course, it would be a good idea to take a FULL-length practice CAT (your Course will likely number the CATs, so take the first one). A FULL CAT takes about 4 hours to complete, so make sure that you've set aside enough time to do so in one sitting. Those score results will give you a better idea of your strengths and weaknesses. You should post back here with your scores and any other issues that you run into while taking the CAT (pacing, endurance, etc.).

From there, you might choose to brush up on "math" or "grammar" practice, since both will factor in heavily during your practice and on Test Day.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

by banker_tiago » Wed Dec 24, 2014 9:54 am
Hi Rich -

Thank you so much for the reply and for your suggestion.

I plan on taking the First Cat this weekend, and will revert with my results.

Regarding the Online Access: the expiration date matches what I was informed when I signed up (a couple of weeks after the end of the course - April 2015).

As a result, I want to take advantage of this opportunity to be ahead of the curve.

Once again, thanks so much for your reply, and I look forward to being more engaged in BTG - 2015 will be the year!

Santi

by banker_tiago » Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:24 pm
Ok -

So initial score was 410, which is fine.

What negatively affected my score was my pace, since I ran out of time in quant.

In verbal, even though I did not run out of time, I missed several of the questions, which put more downside pressure on my overall score.

During a review, it was suggested that I work on number properties and algebra on quant, and RC in verbal.

I have been doing just that, and I will keep posting my progress hoping to get some feedback on here.

Also, I have not signed up for GMAT, but I plan to do it when class starts on jan 21st - probably second week of April.

Happy new year to all and much success.

Santiago