9 Months to prepare for GMAT!

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

9 Months to prepare for GMAT!

by albertoduro1xx » Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:54 am
Hello, I am new to this site and I am a junior in College right now. I plan on taking the GMAT in september, giving myself 9 months to prepare. I have purchased access to MAGOOSH premium and the 2015 OG. I was wondering if anyone had any advice on how to use my 9 months as efficiently as possible? Feedback is much appreciated as I kind of don't know where exactly to start.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:13 am
Hi albertoduro1xx,

Welcome to the Beat The GMAT Forums. We've already talked through your situation (in the other Forum you posted in), but there are plenty of additional insights to be had from the other Experts and Users in this Forum too. You should plan to take full advantage of both sites.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Legendary Member
Followed by:140 members
GMAT Score:800

by MartyMurray » Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:15 am
albertoduro1xx wrote:Hello, I am new to this site and I am a junior in College right now. I plan on taking the GMAT in september, giving myself 9 months to prepare. I have purchased access to MAGOOSH premium and the 2015 OG. I was wondering if anyone had any advice on how to use my 9 months as efficiently as possible? Feedback is much appreciated as I kind of don't know where exactly to start.
I suggest first getting a sense of the basics, what will be on the test. Learn about the sections and question types. Also review math and grammar basics, making sure you know about triangles, circles, absolute value, exponents and other basics like that for quant, and maybe reviewing some basics like modifiers and pronouns for verbal.

Then, once you have a sense of what the test is all about and are not a total newbie, take the first official practice CAT in GMAT Prep, which you can download from mba.com, or possibly from the Resources page of Beat The GMAT. By doing this you can get a clearer sense of what the test is like, where you stand and what you need to learn to hit your target score. I would take this first test within a few weeks to a month of really getting going.

Then keep working on increasing your knowledge and on improving your problem solving skills and test taking skills as necessary to drive your score higher and higher until you reach your goal.

One other general thing I suggest is that as you prepare you do your own assessment of the test and what you need to learn to rock it. This is not exactly a math test or a language test. This is a test of things like skill in using available resources to find solutions and skill in using logic to analyze written material. So just going through someone's syllabus and learning a bunch of stuff is probably not going to prepare you fully or optimally. Yes, you can get much from following a course for GMAT preparation, but ultimately in order to prepare effectively, you have to develop your own sense of the test and where you are strong or weak and what you have to learn and what skills you have to develop to rock it.

I say if you are playing it like a game, you are probably on the right track.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by JTuquero » Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:37 am
Hi Albertoduro,

I believe I saw another post on this in another forum, so I'll just include my previous response to your question below. Hope this helps!

Since you're just getting started on studying, feel free to download our six-month study guide: econgm.at/0VAWKM. Though we generally recommend that three months is a solid amount of time to prep for the GMAT, we understand that a three month prep plan isn't right for everyone.

The plan outlines the following:
-How to set a daily or weekly study schedule
-How many hours a week you should plan to study
-How to tell if you are progressing sufficiently
-How to debrief

I hope you find this helpful.

Best of luck!
Jessica
The Economist GMAT Tutor Representative
https://econgm.at/freetrial7

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:40 am
You might consider signing up for Beat The GMAT's free 60-Day Study Guide (https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/gmat-guide). Over 40,000 Beat The GMAT students have already done so.
Each day, you'll receive an email with a series of learning activities that guide you, step-by-step, from Day 1 to test day. This will ensure that you will cover everything that the GMAT tests.

Here's an outline of all 60 emails: https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/gmat-guide-outline

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:13 members

by manyaabroadtpr » Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:38 am
albertoduro1xx wrote:Hello, I am new to this site and I am a junior in College right now. I plan on taking the GMAT in september, giving myself 9 months to prepare. I have purchased access to MAGOOSH premium and the 2015 OG. I was wondering if anyone had any advice on how to use my 9 months as efficiently as possible? Feedback is much appreciated as I kind of don't know where exactly to start.
Hi albertoduro1xx,

Hi, we would advice you to follow the below steps to score well in your GMAT exam.

1. Start with a mock test. This will help you identify your strong and weak areas
2. If you plan to do self study, get your hands on the best preparatory material available in the market. You can speak to your seniors, get feedback on forums like pagalguy to seek out the best in the market
3. Joining a coaching institute is recommended because it gives a structure to your preparation. Remember cracking GMAT is not just about working hard but working smart as well
4. Make a study time table for yourself that suits you best. You can start with spending 2 hours every day and as you move closer to your test date, start increasing your study hours
5. Keep taking mock tests in real test taking situations. However, more important than taking a mock test is to analyse your performance in the same. If you spend 2 hours on a mock test, spend 6 hours in analysing the same. Figure out ways by which you can continuously keep improving your score
7. Make sure you stay consistent with your schedule. This is extremely important

You can also check our GMAT online course on the link below

https://www.manyagroup.com/gmat-online

Hope the above information helps. In case, you have any further queries, please do let us know and we would be happy to help.
www.manyagroup.com