IIM-Calcutta PGPEX 2016-17 Aspirants!!

Figure out where you wish to apply
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:3 members

IIM-Calcutta PGPEX 2016-17 Aspirants!!

by saikatlahiri » Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:15 am
Hello IIM-C Aspirants,

This thread is to try and bring aspirants together answering their queries and start preparing for the next season . Your queries will be answered by admits of the 2015-16 batch of IIM-C PGPEX course. This will give the aspirants an opportunity to understand the course and get a head start in preparation to get into IIM -C which is one of the top 15 B-Schools in the world!!.Fire in your queries and All the best!!

For a read on the course please visit : https://programslive.iimcal.ac.in/index.php?q=pgpex

Cheers!!
Last edited by saikatlahiri on Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

by saikatlahiri » Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:58 am
New initiative by the PGPEX class at IIM - C. Worth a read!!

https://programslive.iimcal.ac.in/pgpex ... st-edition

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by varun_pant » Sat Jan 10, 2015 8:29 am
Well , as per my finances and future plans , I guess nothing can be as fruitful as the IIMs. Its just that , I got to know from places that IIM need PGPEX need humongous amount of experience.

Well I had actually I had given a shot at GMAT 2 months ago and scored a dismal 650. I plan to give it again soon. I know, rather have the confidence that I can score a 700+ in this exam and thus I am rearing to go for a second attempt.My main worries are "How to build a strong Profile"

I guess my profile has been stagnated for the last four years by being "Just another IT guy". Although I have worked in Hi-Tech (Android development). BFS and Insurance domain. Anyways,I have decent extra-currics with me

My sole reason to do an MBA is to accelerate my career growth in the IT industry in the context of Strategic and Product Management. I think that doing an MBA would definitely provide a boost for me to foray into management roles and moreover a good degree coupled with the experience in latest technology that I have worked will turn into great career prospects.

I would be grateful if you could guide me on how to approach IIM PGPEX. What sort of a profile to nurture
And please forward me the link of that IIM_C thread that you were talking about.

Thanks a lot.
Varun

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by varun_pant » Sat Jan 10, 2015 8:33 am
Here is my profile
Undergrad - B Tech in Information Technology from U.P.T.U. India
Undergrad CGPA 3.5

Professional Experience 4 years of experience in Mobile Application(Android) development. In a leading Indian MNC. Have worked closely with team from the inception of the design to the development and have been part of some of the very first business-intensive Android apps for insurance industry in India.
Currently working in a US-based firm and working for a critical Banking client.

Extra Currics Was in the Editorial team for both School and college Magazine, member of the cultural committee, Avid writer of blogs and Write-ups. Have got 4-5 articles published in a leading English daily while in college. Participated and in various national -level fests' debate competitions. Also Edited my company' bi-weekly magazine for four months.
Also worked for Teach for India foundation for 3 months, and have participated for the company's Go-Green initiatives.
Lover of Indian classical music and books

Area Of Interest Indian Classical Music, reading Non-fictional Books, Watching Documentries on World-Economics and History, and reading/reasearching about Functional impact of the booming Mobil Technology.

My Target Schools - I am basically targeting Schools based out of South-East Asia and India , in order of Preference
IIM A/B/C
NUS,Singapore
NTU, Singapore
SMU. Singapore
ISB, Hyderabad/Great Lakes ,Chennai
Also researching emerging schools in China

Future Aspirations- -I love to play around with the functional aspects of the code/application we develop and the impact it has on Society as a whole. In the coming years I see myself as Strategic Consultant for a IT/Software product critical to the Banking/Financial/Insurance market or even working as a Product Owner for any of such Products. To cut the long story short, I very much want to be in the "our very own" IT industry.
Would be highly obliged and overwhelmed if you can judge my profile and provide your precious bits on School Selection. Moreover please do suggest some other colleges suitable for my profile where in financial inputs from my side would be modest.

by saikatlahiri » Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:40 am
Hi Varun,

As an admit to IIM-C PGPex I can only provide my suggestion regarding IIM-C PGPex , however that should apply to any other IIMs if you wish to apply . So here goes my experience.

1) Since PGPex caters to experienced professionals and needs atleast 5 years of work experience as part of it's eligibility criteria therefore the adcoms look beyond your acads and GMAT scores. However, a good GMAT score , which is nearer to the school's avaerage which is currently 705 , would obviously enhance your chances for a shortlist. So, get in an get a decent GMAT score. Don't get too obsessive about the scores though.

2) As part of the application process there would be a SOP and essays to write. However, if you introspect and try to get answers primarily to these three questions then I believe any such essay will not pose a problem . The questions would be : Who are you a.k.a tell me something about yourself, What do you want a.k.a your short-term and long-term goals and How you wish to realize your goals a.k.a Why an MBA?

3) Since the pool of applicants are super competitive therefore during the interviews confidence and calmness plays a very important role. Trust me , a 10 min conversation is all the adcoms need to guage your suitability for the course so if you are confident and calm you might even end up not getting bamboozled with tangent questions such as what is the cube root of one or what is a reverse repo rate?

4) Having said that, i would also suggest to start reading as much as you can , about the course and the happenings around the world. It helps your confidence and arguments during the interview. For the notorious parts of the interview, do touch-base upon basic math and statistics as IIMs are known to ask such questions. I personally feel that such questions are asked to take you off-guard while the adcom observes how you react and recover from that situation , so keeping calm is very important.

Hope this helps. If you have any other queries please do ask them and we will be happy to help.. Good luck!!