GMAT -710 (QA-50, Verbal-37)

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Followed by:1 members

GMAT -710 (QA-50, Verbal-37)

by scorpion_3 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:12 am
Hi..

I wrote GMAT few days back and these are my unofficial scores.

GMAT-710 (QA-50, VA-37, IR-7)

Some GMAT related data:
1. Days spent on preparation = ~20, 2-3 hours a day
2. Resources = OG and SC of MGMAT
3. Practice test, gave only one mock test GMAT prep and scored 730(QA49, VA 40)

Background:
1. PGDBM from Indian Institute of Management (IIM), Lucknow (CGPA 7.2/10)
2. B.Tech from National Institute of Technology (NIT), Allahabad (CGPA 8.1/10)

Work-Ex:
1. 3.5 years Pre-MBA work-ex at Steel Authority of India Ltd as a Jr. Manager
2. 1.8 years Post-MBA work-ex at Asian Paints as a Manager

Take on GMAT, actually I prepared for CAT 4-5 years back and scored 99.5%, so it was not a problem.

I feel that 710 is not a great score, and I can reach upto 760+ levels with a preparation of 2-3 months. But, I am looking for admission into a PhD course, and am not sure about the cutoff levels or the relevance of GMAT score for the same. Thus, I would be grateful if someone can guide me regarding this or refer me to a proper forum where someone may answer my concerns.

Thanks
Last edited by scorpion_3 on Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:03 am
Hi scorpion_3,

First off, a 710/Q50 is an outstanding performance. From your post, it sounds like you're something of a "natural" Test Taker (thus you didn't have to spend as much time on the process as most Test Takers).

PhD programs tend to be remarkably competitive to get into - while the number of applicants will be quite small, the number accepted will also be small. As such, the Admissions Officers and Professors tend to put all of the applications through a thorough nitpick/vetting process (and it's likely that you will be interviewed). Barring some type of specialty program or a really "competitive year" for PhD applications, I think that your GMAT score is exactly what you need it to be.

If you have questions about specific programs though, you should consider posting them to the Admissions Experts (there's a Forum full of them on this site). You might also consider hiring one as you'll likely need to craft your application(s) in a very specific way.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:93 members
GMAT Score:750

by brianlange77 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:00 pm
Scorpion -- Great work on a score that many will be jealous/envious about! In regards to your specific question, there are many variables. Do the schools that you are considering post an average demographic profile of their PHD students? Obviously, the sample size is pretty small -- but that can be a good place to start. You should feel that a 700+ score demonstrates the ability-level of someone who did well on the GMAT, and I imagine that there are many other factors that the department will consider now.

Good luck!

-Brian

Merci, Danke, Grazie, Gracias -- Whichever way you say it, if you found my post helpful, please click on the 'thank' icon in the top right corner of this post.

And I encourage you to click on 'follow' to track all my posts -- all the cool kids are doing it! :-)

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by scorpion_3 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:07 am
Thanks Rich and Brian.. really appreciate.. :)

I have seen the deadlines and it appears that i have missed the current application cycle.
Thus, I have ample time to improve my GMAT score also i can publish some papers which will put my application ahead of others.

I have not done any research work per se, as I have worked in industry only.
I can get recommendations from my college profs,my previous general manager, previous AVP and current chief manager.

Just to put things in perspective,
NITs are govt. funded colleges and my NIT ranks amongst top 15 engg colleges in India (acceptance <2%)
IIMs are most competitive Indian b-schools where acceptance % is even <1%
Steel authority of India is a public sector unit, which also employs 400 out of more than 2 lac applicants
I also received a pre-placement offer at Reliance Industries after my internship during MBA days

I am trying to gather data by visiting various b school websites and by going through their current student profiles. I am also trying to contact a few of them.

Thanks for support and guidance... :)