SC: That versus Which

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:2 members

SC: That versus Which

by me_1234 » Sat Dec 13, 2014 6:11 pm
Below is a question from an official practice exam where E is correct answer. I think this has to do with the use of which versus that - it needs to use "that" because it is a restrictive clause. Is this accurate?

For many revisionist historians, Christopher Columbus has come to personify devastation and enslavement in the name of progress that has decimated native peoples of the Western Hemisphere.

A/ devastation and enslavement in the name of progress that has decimated native peoples of the Western Hemisphere

B/ devastation and enslavement in the name of progress by which native peoples of the Western Hemisphere have been decimated

C/ devastating and enslaving in the name of progress those native peoples of the Western Hemisphere that have been decimated

D/ devastating and enslaving those native peoples of the Western Hemisphere which in the name of progress are decimated

E/ the devastation and enslavement in the name of progress that have decimated the native peoples of the Western Hemisphere.

Legendary Member
Followed by:140 members
GMAT Score:800

by MartyMurray » Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:18 pm
melanie.espeland wrote:Below is a question from an official practice exam where E is correct answer. I think this has to do with the use of which versus that - it needs to use "that" because it is a restrictive clause. Is this accurate?

For many revisionist historians, Christopher Columbus has come to personify devastation and enslavement in the name of progress that has decimated native peoples of the Western Hemisphere.

A/ devastation and enslavement in the name of progress that has decimated native peoples of the Western Hemisphere

B/ devastation and enslavement in the name of progress by which native peoples of the Western Hemisphere have been decimated

C/ devastating and enslaving in the name of progress those native peoples of the Western Hemisphere that have been decimated

D/ devastating and enslaving those native peoples of the Western Hemisphere which in the name of progress are decimated

E/ the devastation and enslavement in the name of progress that have decimated the native peoples of the Western Hemisphere.
There is much more going on than that versus which, including subject verb agreement and the generally nutty structure and unclear meaning of many of the choices.

Part of what GMAT sentence correction is testing is beyond grammar; it's about optimal expression. In this case choice E is a well constructed, clear statement, better than the other choices in multiple ways.

Look carefully. Among other things, should the verb be have or has? Notice the the before devastation.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members

by [email protected] » Sat Dec 13, 2014 10:24 pm
Hi melanie.espeland,

Most GMAT SCs involve 2-4 grammar rules (the good news is that you usually don't need to know all of the rules to answer the given SC). Here, one of the rules is the "that vs. which" rule that you sited.

When dealing with this issue, here's a simple way to remember the difference:

"That" is meant for specific, restrictive ideas.

eg. That is the school that I want to attend.

"Which" is meant for non-specific, or vague, ideas.

eg. I don't know which restaurant to eat at tonight.

In this SC, we're dealing with some rather defined ideas ("devastation" and "enslavement"), so the usage of the word "that" makes sense.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Sun Dec 14, 2014 4:38 am

a) devastation and enslavement in the name of progress that has decimated native peoples of the Western Hemisphere
b) devastation and enslavement in the name of progress by which native peoples of the Western Hemisphere have been decimated
c) devastating and enslaving in the name of progress those native peoples of the Western Hemisphere that have been decimated
d) devastating and enslaving those native peoples of the Western Hemisphere which in the name of progress are decimated
e) the devastation and enslavement in the name of progress that have decimated the native peoples of the Western Hemisphere
Generally:
that + SINGULAR VERB should refer to the nearest preceding SINGULAR noun.
that + PLURAL VERB should refer to the nearest preceding PLURAL noun.

A: progress that has decimated native peoples
B: progress by which native peoples...have been decimated
Here, both that and which seem to refer to progress.
The implication is that PROGRESS has decimated the native peoples, a distortion of the intended meaning.
The intended meaning is that DEVASTATION AND ENSLAVEMENT have decimated the native peoples.
Eliminate A and B.

C: native peoples...that have been decimated
D: native peoples...which...are decimated
On the GMAT, that and which cannot serve to refer to people.
Eliminate C and D.

The correct answer is E.

OA: THE DEVASTATION AND ENSLAVEMENT in the name of progress that HAVE DECIMATED the native peoples.
Here, the verb attributed to that -- HAVE decimated -- is PLURAL.
Thus, the referent for that must be THE DEVASTATION AND ENSLAVEMENT, the nearest eligible PLURAL antecedent.
Conveyed meaning:
The devastation and enslavement that have decimated the native peoples.

Because the verb attributed to that is plural, the referent for that CANNOT be progress, which is singular.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member
Followed by:140 members

by MartyMurray » Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:11 am
GMATGuruNY wrote:
Eliminate C and D.
That sounds wrong, Mitch.

While it is good to be aware of the rule you cite, this is not a that or a which referring to people. Rather than referring to people, the that and which above refer to native peoples, which is a synonym for native nations or native tribes. So just as it would make sense to say native tribes which, it would make sense to say native peoples which.

So an elimination of those two choices based on the use of that and which seems debatable at best.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:37 am
Marty Murray wrote:
GMATGuruNY wrote:
Eliminate C and D.
That sounds wrong, Mitch.

While it is good to be aware of the rule you cite, this is not a that or a which referring to people. Rather than referring to people, the that and which above refer to native peoples, which is a synonym for native nations or native tribes. So just as it would make sense to say native tribes which, it would make sense to say native peoples which.

So an elimination of those two choices based on the use of that and which seems debatable at best.
I rely on precedent.
An OA from GMATPrep includes the following:
tribes WHO interacted with one another.
To my knowledge, no OA from GMAC has ever employed that or which to refer to a people or peoples.

Note that peoples is not really a synonym for nations.
Webster's defines peoples as follows: PERSONS that are united by a common culture, tradition, or sense of kinship.
Here is how Collins English Dictionary defines peoples: PERSONS living in a country.
The definition of nations is typically broader, referring not only to the inhabitants of a land but also to other components (the government, the land itself, etc.).
A more apt synonym for nations is countries.
While we may use that or which to refer to nations, we should not use these pronouns to refer to peoples.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:3 members

by gmatdriller » Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:54 am
Hi Melanie,

I'll suggest you don't include the correct answer from the onset.

Let people try before you disclose the OA; better still , you can make
use of the spoiler feature.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by Tmoni26 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:01 am
@gmat driller, that's the same thing I was going to tell Melanie

Melanie, please can you hide the answer so we can have a go before we see the OA, thanks a lot

All the best

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:2 members

by me_1234 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:23 pm
Yes, someone showed me how to hide the answer so I've been doing that in my new posts.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:3 members

by gmatdriller » Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:01 pm
melanie.espeland wrote:Yes, someone showed me how to hide the answer so I've been doing that in my new posts.
Thanks Melanie as you promised to help post questions using the spoiler.