Retake on Saturday - need your opinion

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Retake on Saturday - need your opinion

by mdlyman » Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:31 am
So I need a little help. I'm retaking the GMAT on Saturday and the anxiety is starting to build up. I need some advice.

To start off, my first attempt at the GMAT didn't go too well. I have been mainly using MGMAT and OG for studying. Here's my performance on my CATs leading up to my exam:

630 - 40q, 36v (MGMAT)
690 - 45q, 40v (GMATPrep)
620 - 40q, 35v (MGMAT)
630 - 47q, 30v (GMATPrep)

First test day - 590 - 36q, 35v

I was pretty shocked to see that I scored a 36 in quant on the actual exam. I didn't think that I was killing the exam, but thought I would for sure score in the 40s.

So over the last few months I have been working hard on quant doing a lot of problems and analyzing my weaknesses. I believe that I've made some good improvement. Here's the scores from my last three CATs.

650 - 44q, 35v (MGMAT)
700 - 48q, 38v (GMATPrep)
680 - 48q, 34v (GMATPrep)

I'm targeting a 660 score, so I've been please with my results over the last few weeks. HOWEVER, I now have this building fear that I think that the GMATprep quant sections are easier than the actual exam. You can see that I score best on the quant sections from the GMATPrep software. Is there any truth to this, or am I just freaking myself out prior to my test?

When it comes down to it, I do feel more prepared this time around. I'm just terrified that I'll finish the exam again and see another sub 600 score.

What do you all think???

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:39 am
Hi mdlyman,

The 4 GMATPrep CATs are the most realistic CATs available (they're from GMAC - the Testmaker - and use retired Official GMAT questions). For a score result to be considered realistic, YOU have to make sure that you're taking the CAT in a realistic fashion. That means you should take the ENTIRE CAT (including the Essay and IR sections) under test-like conditions. The more you deviate from a test-like experience, the more your scores can deviate (and likely will).

Since your scores are on an uptick, I would have to believe that you know the material better (and are executing better) than you were before. You have to remember that the GMAT will give you a score that you EARN, so you can't "coast" through the Official Test and get a 700 - you have to EARN all of those points.

Since your Test is in a few days, I would recommend that you keep the studying light (don't take any more CATs, don't cram, just do some light review) and try to be well-rested for Test Day.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]