Scored 500 on Gmat and need 550 please advice!

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hi. I took the Gmat a few days ago and I feel rather frustrated about this process. I still want to hit my target though so Im willing to do what it takes to accomplish my goal. I need to get 550 or higher on Gmat, with at least 50% on Quant section. These are my 2013 and 2014 scores, it shows a small improvement.

Nov2013 V 19/18% Q 37/42% Total 470/25% Essay 4.0/21% IR 1/ 0%
Dec2014 V 23/32% Q 35/33% Total 500/31% Essay 3.5/13% IR 4/37%

Once I hit the verbal part, my mind is exhausted and end up guessing some questions. Also, I have a hard time reading the RC passages fast enough and have to read the CR stems more than once. I am not sure which RC technique to use anymore. It feels that I would have to read very fast to keep up with timing in the verbal part and that theres absolutely no time to take notes in RC. I took 4 practices tests, 2 from the official PrepGmat and 2 from the Exam pack 1 and scores varied from 540 to 580. I took a live class, completed about 80% of the problems in OG13, and read most of the Manhattan books. I also completed most of the Question pack. To be honest, I felt burned out at the end of preparation.
Ive been to the US for 20 yrs and also completed a BS degree here. My native language is Spanish.
Please advice, thank you.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:52 am
Hi success13,

Your scores show that you're performing in essentially the same way that you were last year. The good news is that you're within range of your goal - with a couple of small shifts in how you approach the GMAT, you could have a 550 right now. With the additional goal of hitting the 50th percentile in Quant, if you were to hit THAT level, then you'd probably have the 550 locked up and you wouldn't have to improve your Verbal at all.

That all having been said, you have to make some changes to how you "see" (and respond to) GMAT questions.

When are you planning to apply to Business School?
How do you know that you "need" a 550+?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by success13 » Sun Dec 07, 2014 1:30 pm
Hi Rich, thanks for replying. I will be applying for the Fall 2015 and will be applying as soon as I feel ready and hit the score. I would like to apply by the end of February the latest. The score of 550 plus is per the office of admissions.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:13 members

by manyaabroadtpr » Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:33 pm
success13 wrote:Hi. I took the Gmat a few days ago and I feel rather frustrated about this process. I still want to hit my target though so Im willing to do what it takes to accomplish my goal. I need to get 550 or higher on Gmat, with at least 50% on Quant section. These are my 2013 and 2014 scores, it shows a small improvement.

Nov2013 V 19/18% Q 37/42% Total 470/25% Essay 4.0/21% IR 1/ 0%
Dec2014 V 23/32% Q 35/33% Total 500/31% Essay 3.5/13% IR 4/37%

Once I hit the verbal part, my mind is exhausted and end up guessing some questions. Also, I have a hard time reading the RC passages fast enough and have to read the CR stems more than once. I am not sure which RC technique to use anymore. It feels that I would have to read very fast to keep up with timing in the verbal part and that theres absolutely no time to take notes in RC. I took 4 practices tests, 2 from the official PrepGmat and 2 from the Exam pack 1 and scores varied from 540 to 580. I took a live class, completed about 80% of the problems in OG13, and read most of the Manhattan books. I also completed most of the Question pack. To be honest, I felt burned out at the end of preparation.
Ive been to the US for 20 yrs and also completed a BS degree here. My native language is Spanish.
Please advice, thank you.
Hi Success13,

Hitting a 50th percentile in GMAT-Quant is not a big deal at all.

Practice is very important. All the more important is how you review your mistakes.After completing a drill or a test, ask your parent/friend/wife to verify your answers. If a question is wrong, then ask them to mark it wrong. They are not supposed to give you the right answer at that moment.

When you go wrong in a question, pls don't go and look/read at the explanation every time. You must re-do the same question in a different way if possible and get it corrected. Going through the explanation should be your last step.Different questions need various strategies to be used to save a lot of time. This way you can enhance your problem solving skills.

Let us know if you would have any other specific question about GMAT preparation and we would be happy to guide.

Wish you the best.
www.manyagroup.com