Is this a correct way of this problem?

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Is this a correct way of this problem?

by Baton » Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:34 pm
If a, b, and c are integers, what's the value of a?

1. (a-7)(b-7)(c-7)=0
2. bc=18

None of the statements is sufficient on it's own so here is how I am solving it after realizing it can't be solved algebraically.

From statement 2, I let b=2 and c=9. (taking negative numbers will yield the same result)

(a-7)(2-7)(9-7)=0
(a-7)(-5)(2)=0
a=7

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:04 pm
Baton wrote:If a, b, and c are integers, what's the value of a?

1) (a-7)(b-7)(c-7) = 0
2) bc=18
Target question: What is the value of a?

Given: a, b, and c are INTEGERS

Statement 1: (a-7)(b-7)(c-7) = 0
We can write this as (something)(something)(something) = 0
So, it must be the case that AT LEAST one of those somethings equals zero.
So, it could be that (a-7) = 0, which would mean that a = 7
OR it could be that (b-7) = 0, which would mean that b = 7
OR it could be that (c-7) = 0, which would mean that c = 7
Given the different possible cases, a COULD equal 7, or a COULD equal some other value.
Since we cannot answer the target question with certainty, statement 1 is NOT SUFFICIENT

Statement 2: bc = 18
Since there's no information about a, a could have ANY value
Since we cannot answer the target question with certainty, statement 2 is NOT SUFFICIENT

Statements 1 and 2 combined
Statement 1 yields 3 possible cases:
case a: (a-7) = 0, which would mean that a = 7
case b: (b-7) = 0, which would mean that b = 7
case c: (c-7) = 0, which would mean that c = 7

Statement 2 tells us that bc = 18
Since b and c are INTEGERS, b cannot equal 7, and c cannot equal 7.
So, we can rule out cases b and c (from above).
This leaves only case a, which means a MUST equal 7
Since we can answer the target question with certainty, the combined statements are SUFFICIENT

Answer = C

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

Legendary Member
Followed by:140 members
GMAT Score:800

by MartyMurray » Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:08 pm
Baton wrote:
From statement 2, I let b=2 and c=9. (taking negative numbers will yield the same result)

(a-7)(2-7)(9-7)=0
(a-7)(-5)(2)=0
a=7
So far so good. The only thing I would add is that you can't assume that just because 2 and 9 work all the factors of 18 will work in the same way.

Yes, all the factors would work in this case, but let's look at another case.

In our alternative case, Statement 2 says that bc = 28.

28 has factors 1, 2, 4, 7, 14 and 28, or possibly -1, -2, -4, -7, -14 and -28. You could pick two of them, for instance 2 and 14 or -4 and -7, and plug them into Statement 1, and decide that a = 7.

The thing is if you instead were to plug 4 and 7 into Statement 1, then a does not have to equal 7.

So just be sure you are not jumping to conclusions by using the first two factors that come to mind and deciding that the answer you generate by plugging them in will hold for any pair of factors.
Last edited by MartyMurray on Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:09 pm

1. (a-7)(b-7)(c-7)=0
2. bc=18

None of the statements is sufficient on it's own so here is how I am solving it after realizing it can't be solved algebraically.

(a-7)(2-7)(9-7)=0
(a-7)(-5)(2)=0
a=7
It's good that you tested some values, but testing only 1 pair does not mean that we can safely say that a must equal 7.
If it weren't for the given information that says a, b and c are integers, the answer would be E.
So, testing one set of values isn't enough.

You must recognize that, because b and c are integers, it's impossible for either b or c to equal 7, which means a must equal 7.

Cheers,
Brent
---------------------------------
Plugging in numbers typically works best when you suspect that the statement is NOT SUFFICIENT. In these cases, all you need to do is find values that yield different (conflicting) answers to the target question.

Conversely, if the statement is SUFFICIENT, then plugging in values will only HINT at whether or not the statement is sufficient, but you won't be able to make any definitive conclusions.

For example, let's say we have the following target question: If n is a positive integer, is (2^n) - 1 prime?
Let's say statement 1 says: n is a prime number:

Now let's plug in some prime values of n:
If n = 2, then (2^n) - 1 = 2² - 1 = 3, and 3 IS prime
If n = 3, then case (2^n) - 1 = 2³ - 1 = 7, and 7 IS prime
If n = 5, then (2^n) - 1 = 2� - 1 = 31, and 31 IS prime
At this point, it certainly APPEARS that statement guarantees that (2^n) - 1 is prime? Let's try one more prime value of n.
If n = 7, then (2^n) - 1 = 2� - 1 = 127, and 127 IS prime

So, can we be 100% certain that statement 1 is sufficient? No. The truth of the matter is that statement 1 is NOT SUFFICIENT. To see why, let's examine the possibility that n = 11
If n = 11, then (2^n) - 1 = (2^11) - 1 = 2047, and 2047 is NOT prime

Here's a different example:
Target question: Is x > 0?
Let's say statement 1 says: 5x > 4x

Now let's plug in some values of x that satisfy the condition that 5x > 4x.
x = 3, in which case x > 0
x = 0.5, in which case x > 0
x = 15, in which case x > 0
x = 1000, in which case x > 0

Once again, it APPEARS that statement 1 provides sufficient information to answer the target question. Can we be 100% certain? No. Perhaps we didn't plug in the right numbers (as was the case in the first example). Perhaps there's a number that we could have plugged in such that x < 0

If we want to be 100% certain that a statement is SUFFICIENT, we'll need to use a technique other than plugging in.
Here, we can take 5x > 4x, and subtract 4x from both sides to get x > 0 VOILA - we can now answer the target question with absolute certainty.
So, statement 1 is SUFFICIENT.

TAKEAWAY: Plugging in numbers is best suited for situations in which you suspect that the statement is not sufficient. In these situations, plugging in values can yield results that are 100% conclusive. Conversely, in situations in which the statement is sufficient, plugging in values can STRONGLY HINT at sufficiency, but the results are not 100% conclusive.

For more on this, you can watch our free video titled "Choosing Good Numbers: https://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat- ... cy?id=1102 or you can read an article I wrote for BTG about it: https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/2013/10/ ... -in-values

Or you can read my article: https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/2013/10/ ... -in-values[/i]

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by Gurpreet singh » Sun May 22, 2016 6:40 am
Hi Brent,
what should be our approach for solving the question mentioned below considering limited time in GMAT.

So, can we be 100% certain that statement 1 is sufficient? No. The truth of the matter is that statement 1 is NOT SUFFICIENT. To see why, let's examine the possibility that n = 11

Brent@GMATPrepNow wrote:

1. (a-7)(b-7)(c-7)=0
2. bc=18

(a-7)(2-7)(9-7)=0
(a-7)(-5)(2)=0
a=7
It's good that you tested some values, but testing only 1 pair does not mean that we can safely say that a must equal 7.
If it weren't for the given information that says a, b and c are integers, the answer would be E.
So, testing one set of values isn't enough.

You must recognize that, because b and c are integers, it's impossible for either b or c to equal 7, which means a must equal 7.

Cheers,
Brent
---------------------------------
Plugging in numbers typically works best when you suspect that the statement is NOT SUFFICIENT. In these cases, all you need to do is find values that yield different (conflicting) answers to the target question.

Conversely, if the statement is SUFFICIENT, then plugging in values will only HINT at whether or not the statement is sufficient, but you won't be able to make any definitive conclusions.

For example, let's say we have the following target question: If n is a positive integer, is (2^n) - 1 prime?
Let's say statement 1 says: n is a prime number:

Now let's plug in some prime values of n:
If n = 2, then (2^n) - 1 = 2² - 1 = 3, and 3 IS prime
If n = 3, then case (2^n) - 1 = 2³ - 1 = 7, and 7 IS prime
If n = 5, then (2^n) - 1 = 2� - 1 = 31, and 31 IS prime
At this point, it certainly APPEARS that statement guarantees that (2^n) - 1 is prime? Let's try one more prime value of n.
If n = 7, then (2^n) - 1 = 2� - 1 = 127, and 127 IS prime

Here's a different example:
Target question: Is x > 0?
Let's say statement 1 says: 5x > 4x

Now let's plug in some values of x that satisfy the condition that 5x > 4x.
x = 3, in which case x > 0
x = 0.5, in which case x > 0
x = 15, in which case x > 0
x = 1000, in which case x > 0

Once again, it APPEARS that statement 1 provides sufficient information to answer the target question. Can we be 100% certain? No. Perhaps we didn't plug in the right numbers (as was the case in the first example). Perhaps there's a number that we could have plugged in such that x < 0

If we want to be 100% certain that a statement is SUFFICIENT, we'll need to use a technique other than plugging in.
Here, we can take 5x > 4x, and subtract 4x from both sides to get x > 0 VOILA - we can now answer the target question with absolute certainty.
So, statement 1 is SUFFICIENT.

TAKEAWAY: Plugging in numbers is best suited for situations in which you suspect that the statement is not sufficient. In these situations, plugging in values can yield results that are 100% conclusive. Conversely, in situations in which the statement is sufficient, plugging in values can STRONGLY HINT at sufficiency, but the results are not 100% conclusive.

For more on this, you can watch our free video titled "Choosing Good Numbers: https://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat- ... cy?id=1102 or you can read an article I wrote for BTG about it: https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/2013/10/ ... -in-values

Or you can read my article: https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/2013/10/ ... -in-values[/i]

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Sun May 22, 2016 7:06 am
Gurpreet singh wrote:Hi Brent,
what should be our approach for solving the question mentioned below considering limited time in GMAT.

If you're referring to the question I made up ("If n is a positive integer, is (2^n) - 1 prime?"), I don't believe there's an easy/fast solution. The question was meant to illustrate the disadvantages to testing values.

Cheers,
Brent

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by hotcool030 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:35 am
Brent@GMATPrepNow wrote:

1) (a-7)(b-7)(c-7) = 0
2) bc=18

Given the different possible cases, a COULD equal 7, or a COULD equal some other value.
Since we cannot answer the target question with certainty, statement 1 is NOT SUFFICIENT

Since we cannot answer the target question with certainty, statement 2 is NOT SUFFICIENT

Since we can answer the target question with certainty, the combined statements are SUFFICIENT

Answer = C

Cheers,
Brent
Hello Brent, as Statement 2 tells us that bc = 18 , b and c cant be zero . so obviously a has to be 7 to make that entire product zero. So Answer must be B. Please tell me how i am different from your answer choice..

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by hotcool030 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:36 am
hotcool030 wrote:
Brent@GMATPrepNow wrote:

1) (a-7)(b-7)(c-7) = 0
2) bc=18

Answer = C

Cheers,
Brent
Hello Brent, as Statement 2 tells us that bc = 18 , b and c cant be zero . so obviously a has to be 7 to make that entire product zero. So Answer must be B. Please tell me how i am different from your answer choice..
Sorry Brent, I am correcting myself. I considered Statement A content was given in Target question ..Answer surely will be C.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:46 pm
hotcool030 wrote: Sorry Brent, I am correcting myself. I considered Statement A content was given in Target question ..Answer surely will be C.
No problem. It's a very common mistake to accidentally use information from one statement when analyzing the other statement.

Cheers,
Brent