doubt CR 4

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

doubt CR 4

by aditya8062 » Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:00 am
Last June, Endsville installed highway traffic cameras, in the hope that drivers along the highways would reduce their speeds. This June, the number of motorists caught speeding by the traffic cameras is nearly twice that caught last June.

All of the following, if true, can help account for the increase in motorists caught speeding by traffic cameras EXCEPT?
A) Police, throughout the year, have been increasingly less likely to pull over speeding motorists, since each month more highways in Endsville are equipped with traffic cameras.
B) This June, compared to the last, saw more than a twofold increase in the number of traffic cameras installed along the highways of Endsville.
C) In the last year, there has been an influx of residents to Endsville and thus there are more vehicles on the road at any one time.
D) Along many of the highways installed with traffic cameras, the speed limit has been reduced, sometimes by as much as 10 miles per hour.
E) Since the cameras are virtually hidden, many motorists remain oblivious to the fact that the city has installed traffic cameras.

my concern: i somehow find option A not true in real world . i would have appreciated A more had A been as: each month more highways in Endsville are equipped with traffic cameras
at the moment i find option A a little contradictory. how can we relate the reluctance of police to case in hand?

Legendary Member
Followed by:140 members
GMAT Score:800

by MartyMurray » Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:18 pm
aditya8062 wrote:my concern: i somehow find option A not true in real world . i would have appreciated A more had A been as: each month more highways in Endsville are equipped with traffic cameras
at the moment i find option A a little contradictory. how can we relate the reluctance of police to case in hand?
While A does seem to be suboptimal in that it discusses both reduced police enforcement and increased presence of traffic cams, one could connect the reduced police enforcement with a higher incidence of speeding. A higher incidence of speeding resulting from reduced police enforcement could help to explain why more people are being caught by traffic cams.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:28 am
A: Police, throughout the year, have been increasingly less likely to pull over speeding motorists, since each month more highways in Endsville are equipped with traffic cameras.

my concern: i somehow find option A not true in real world
Once cameras have been installed, police have less incentive to monitor driving behavior, since any misbehavior will be detected by the cameras.
Here in NY, if a camera detects a car running through a red light, the driver receives a ticket via mail.
Thus, police do not have to waste time pulling the driver over, freeing them to address more serious crimes.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3