URGENT: Profile evaluation & guidance on school selectio

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
27 year old, Indian Female

1) Brief description of experience :
- 4 years experience in the largest steel producer in India. Positions ranging from core operations management to corporate strategy, business development to corporate communication. Worked on medium-term & long-term corporate strategy of a $8 million(in annual revenues) government owned company, further I work on the assessment and action-plan for strategic alliances/JVs/M&A. In addition to all this I'm also part of group which handles investor relations and enables corporate level interface with government of India and world steel association(WSA).

2) GRE : 311 ; yet to receive TOEFL score

3) GPA : 3.7; top 10% of the class , majored in Manufacturing Science & Engineering

4)Additional:
- youngest person in the organization(with 1 lac employees) to win the best younger manager award
- exposure to steel industry in Japan & China
- founding member of rotary club chapter
- recognized as child scientist, represented India in Indo-Germany exchange program

5)Short-term & Long-term Goals: Post MBA, I'm inclined to pursue management consulting at one of the Big 3 companies and seek assignments in the manufacturing sector.Consulting will build upon my present experience of business development in a government owned metals & mining company and MBA learnings, by providing diverse exposure and a structured approach to tackle cases. In the long-run, I plan to specialize in growth and go-to-market strategies in the manufacturing sector with regards to international business development, playing an integral role in corporate strategy and leading the sustainable expansion of the organization in the emerging economies.

As I'm keen on applying with GRE score, I would appreciate if you can provide a list of target schools and a brief profile evaluation.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Legendary Member
Followed by:52 members

by CriticalSquareMBA » Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:36 am
Hey there - a few questions:

1) what school did you go to
2) any promotions?
3) any plans to retake the GRE?
4) what are you scoring on your TOEFL
5) what's your goal for R2 - by that I mean do you have to get into a school this year or is R1 next year an option?

Bhavik
Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Facebook | Twitter

We love helping! Was this post helpful to you? Thank us and let me know!

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by 13_divyasha » Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:11 pm
Hi Bhavik,

Thanks for taking out time to respond, PF my replies in-line with your queries

1) what school did you go to
-> Non IIT / NIT, its the best state university (University College of Engg., Odisha); I know no brownie points

2) any promotions?
-> I work in Public Sector Undertaking(PSU) where 80% stakeholder is Govt. of India,the appraisal system is fixed - once in every 4 yrs. Hence I've had 1 promotion when I completed 4th year in 2014. As I work in corporate strategy/internal consulting division, Projects I was handling before and the ones I'm right now hasn't been affected by the promotion.

3) any plans to retake the GRE?
-> I'm a terrible standardized test taker, scored 330-340 in mocks but could not handle my frayed nerves during the test. Will answer further in the last question.

4) what are you scoring on your TOEFL?
-> 118

5) what's your goal for R2 - by that I mean do you have to get into a school this year or is R1 next year an option?
-> I was keen on applying for R2 but considering my low GRE score as an impediment for getting into a top B-school. I'm considering for R1-Fall'16 with a retake of GMAT. My current experience is in the lines of internal consulting of a $8 billion dollar manufacturing company and I intend to build upon this and join a consulting firm. I think Schools beyond top 25 would not help me reach where I intend to.

I would appreciate any pointers on the strategy/ realistic evaluation based on my answers.

Best,
Divyasha

GMAT/MBA Expert

Legendary Member
Followed by:52 members

by CriticalSquareMBA » Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:04 am
Hey there - thanks for the additional info! Yeah, if you're looking at management consulting, you need to go top 25, and if you're looking at M/B/B, then you need to go top 15. And a 311 simply won't do. Your work experience seems to be growing and that's great so keep that up and work on your profile. But coming from a Tier II/III school with a so-so GPA and a low GRE, you're in for a tough run if you don't pull that up. Probably not what you wanted to hear but I wanted to shoot you straight!

Bhavik
Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Facebook | Twitter

We love helping! Was this post helpful to you? Thank us and let me know!