doubt CR 3

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

doubt CR 3

by aditya8062 » Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:13 am
In the 18th and 19th centuries, it was believed in many coastal American cities that the waterfront was an undesirable location for residential buildings. As a result, much of the waterfront in these cities was never developed aesthetically and instead was left to industry and commerce. Today, however, waterfront properties are generally seen as prestigious, as evidenced by the large sums paid for homes along the beach front. A developer who wishes to make a large profit would be wise to buy urban waterfront lots and erect residential buildings on them.

Which of the following, if true, most strongly supports the claim made about urban waterfront properties?

1]People today have more money, relatively speaking, to spend on real estate than they did in previous centuries.
2]Homeowners will be willing to spend large sums on residential properties in traditionally industrial or commercial districts.
3]Many urban waterfront lots are available for purchase.
4]Many coastal American cities are encouraging developers to rehabilitate the waterfront through tax incentives.
5]Properties in interior residential districts in coastal American cities are significantly more expensive than those along the waterfront.

my concern: the proclaimed answer to this question is B. i feel there can be argument both ways while considering B as answer. for instance B is ALREADY mentioned in the argument so effectively it is not adding anything to the argument.

The passage mentions:Today, however, waterfront properties are generally seen as prestigious, as evidenced by the large sums paid for homes along the beach front ------------>this fact is reiterated in option B (after all, "waterfront properties are in traditionally industrial or commercial districts AND when the passage is saying that "large sum being paid" then THAT definitely means that this LARGE sum is being paid by BUYERS)

D, on the other hand, tells us as why the "cost" of this entire development might come down and hence will increase the profit of developers

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:06 am
aditya8062 wrote:In the 18th and 19th centuries, it was believed in many coastal American cities that the waterfront was an undesirable location for residential buildings. As a result, much of the waterfront in these cities was never developed aesthetically and instead was left to industry and commerce. Today, however, waterfront properties are generally seen as prestigious, as evidenced by the large sums paid for homes along the beach front. A developer who wishes to make a large profit would be wise to buy urban waterfront lots and erect residential buildings on them.

Which of the following, if true, most strongly supports the claim made about urban waterfront properties?

1]People today have more money, relatively speaking, to spend on real estate than they did in previous centuries.
2]Homeowners will be willing to spend large sums on residential properties in traditionally industrial or commercial districts.
3]Many urban waterfront lots are available for purchase.
4]Many coastal American cities are encouraging developers to rehabilitate the waterfront through tax incentives.
5]Properties in interior residential districts in coastal American cities are significantly more expensive than those along the waterfront.

my concern: the proclaimed answer to this question is B. i feel there can be argument both ways while considering B as answer. for instance B is ALREADY mentioned in the argument so effectively it is not adding anything to the argument.
Premise: Large sums have been paid for homes along THE BEACH FRONT.
Conclusion: Developers should erect residential buildings on URBAN WATERFRONT LOTS.

A home on an URBAN WATERFRONT LOT is not the same as a home ON THE BEACH.
To strengthen the conclusion, the correct answer choice must show that buyers will be willing to pay large sums for homes on URBAN WATERFRONT LOTS.
Answer choice B does just that:
Homeowners will be willing to spend large sums on residential properties in traditionally industrial or commercial districts.

The correct answer is B.
D, on the other hand, tells us as why the "cost" of this entire development might come down and hence will increase the profit of developers
The correct answer choice must support the conclusion that waterfront developers should build RESIDENTIAL BUILDINGS.
Answer choice D does not explain why developers should build residential buildings rather than other types of buildings.
Eliminate D.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3