Profile Evaluation and a few questions !

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Profile Evaluation and a few questions !

by chinmay_d » Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:32 pm
Hi Experts!

I am a 26 years old Indian Guy, currently working on my applications and choice of Schools for R2.

Work Experience -

1) Family Business Textile Firm :-
A family owned pvt. ltd. company that excels at manufacturing and supplying fabrics and fashion accessories for Export purposes.
2009-2011 - Production Manager
2011-Present - General Manager

2. Family owned handloom textile firm :-
2011 - Present - Partner. Responsible for acquiring new customers, maintain customer relations, and look after the accounts related matters of the firm

Education -

1) BCA - Bachelor of Computer Administration with 60% marks from Pune University (3 years undergrad only !!)
2. PGDMM - Post Graduate Diploma in Marketing Management - Currently Pursuing, will graduate in July 2015 ( They can provide me a bonafide certificate stating I am currently pursuing it, for Application Purposes)

GMATs :-

1) Sep 30th - 680 - (Q48, V33, AWA-5, IR-5)
2) Nov 20th - 710 - (Q48, V38, AWA - 5, IR - 5) - Submitting

TOEFL - Not yet taken

Schools i want to apply in -
  • 1) Booth Chicago
    2) Duke
    3) Darden - UVA
    4) UNC Kenan Flagler
    5) Georgetown McDonough
    6) McCombs Texas
    7) Fisher - OSU
    8) Simon ROchester

To be very honest I am quite confused about my MBA Specialization, but I dont wan't to go for Entreprenuership or Finance. Marketing or General MBA is what I am inclined towards

I need to shortlist the above into 5 schools. I also need your expert help in the same.

Also, as mentioned above, I only have 15 years of education in India, whereas many schools require 16 years of education. I am currently pursuing PGDMM Distance Learning Course from IMT Ghaziabad for this purpose. But my first sem exams will take place in Dec and results will come after the R2 deadlines. I will graduate this in July or August 2015. What is your take on this?

Looking forward to the replies in this thread.

Thanks for reading through a wall of text. :oops:

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:5 members

by mcbMcK » Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:04 am
A few perspectives here Chinmay,
  1. You have not mentioned the reason for pursuing a global MBA. That is essential to take any guess on specialization as well as school selection. In general though, the nature of your experience looks interesting and can make for some pretty good essays assuming you've had decent impact in your business
  2. The list here may help some on the 15 Vs 16 year question.
  3. For reasons mentioned here, I will refrain from providing gut-based school recommendations. Overall, the list does look balanced enough though. But if you are starting your applications now, might be tough to target 5-6 schools and do justice to them. So choose wisely
Hope this helps

Cheers,
MG (Manish Gupta)|The MBA Crystal Ball Team

Email: mcb at mbacrystalball dot com