Confused about my preparation strategy!

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Confused about my preparation strategy!

by Rajdeep Kaur » Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:42 am
Hi

I started my GMAT preparation last week (for good) and took GMAT Prep Test 1 to check where I stand right now. I skipped the AWA and IR and took the 8 minute break between the sections. I scored a 640 (Q47,V31). I struggled a lot in completing the Quant Section within the time and also guessed a few of the questions in the end. I completed the Verbal section in time but there were so many questions that I did not quite know how to approach. I gave this test without any preparation and I guess I will improve when I start studying all the topics in depth. I have OG-13 and OG 15 and all the MGMAT guides. I started with the Manhattan Quant guides and since then I have completed (thoroughly) three of them. I did not attempt any OG questions though, that are given at the back of each guide as I am thinking of studying the concepts first.

Now, I am a bit confused whether my strategy is right or not. I am planning on completing all the MGMAT guides in a month and then start solving questions from OG. Should I buy some other prep material for practice? I also have Jamboree's(GMAT preparation institute) guides but I am not sure whether I should start practicing from those. I plan to take the test in February or March. I am aiming for 720+ and I am starting way ahead so that I have ample time for other aspects of my application next year.

Can someone please guide me so that I know what is missing and that my approach is not totally wrong. I know people who started doing questions right from the starting and then later on felt that they lacked in some areas because their concepts were not clear.

Thanks

Legendary Member
Followed by:24 members

by GMATinsight » Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:57 am
Rajdeep Kaur wrote:Hi

I started my GMAT preparation last week (for good) and took GMAT Prep Test 1 to check where I stand right now. I skipped the AWA and IR and took the 8 minute break between the sections. I scored a 640 (Q47,V31). I struggled a lot in completing the Quant Section within the time and also guessed a few of the questions in the end. I completed the Verbal section in time but there were so many questions that I did not quite know how to approach. I gave this test without any preparation and I guess I will improve when I start studying all the topics in depth. I have OG-13 and OG 15 and all the MGMAT guides. I started with the Manhattan Quant guides and since then I have completed (thoroughly) three of them. I did not attempt any OG questions though, that are given at the back of each guide as I am thinking of studying the concepts first.

Now, I am a bit confused whether my strategy is right or not. I am planning on completing all the MGMAT guides in a month and then start solving questions from OG. Should I buy some other prep material for practice? I also have Jamboree's(GMAT preparation institute) guides but I am not sure whether I should start practicing from those. I plan to take the test in February or March. I am aiming for 720+ and I am starting way ahead so that I have ample time for other aspects of my application next year.

Can someone please guide me so that I know what is missing and that my approach is not totally wrong. I know people who started doing questions right from the starting and then later on felt that they lacked in some areas because their concepts were not clear.

Thanks
Since you are already at some level so just refer to the study material in this order

1) Revise all you have practiced already
2) Solve Official Guide by making sets of 25 questions and solving them in time keeping average 2 mins per question
3) Solve MGMAT books
4) Start taking Mock CAT (Veritas, MGMAT, GMAT PREP)
5) Find your mistakes and work on them (Questionwise and also topicwise)
6) Keep checking areas of improvement and keep fixing them

You will be prepared to take GMAT in about a month and a half at most.
"GMATinsight"Bhoopendra Singh & Sushma Jha
Most Comprehensive and Affordable Video Course 2000+ CONCEPT Videos and Video Solutions
Whatsapp/Mobile: +91-9999687183 l [email protected]
Contact for One-on-One FREE ONLINE DEMO Class Call/e-mail
Most Efficient and affordable One-On-One Private tutoring fee - US$40-50 per hour

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:06 am
Hi Rajdeep Kaur,

Your first practice CAT score is strong (the average score on the Official GMAT tends to hover around 540-550), but since you skipped the first 2 sections of the Test, this score is likely a bit "inflated." You've also given yourself plenty of time to study, which is good. Since you have a few months before you plan to take your Official GMAT, you don't have to make any immediate changes to your plans, but here is what I suggest:

For the next 2-3 weeks, you should continue as you've planned, then take a FULL-LENGTH practice CAT (including the Essay and IR sections). That score result will give us a much better sense of how you handle the full Test and point out any larger issues that you don't yet know about (fatigue, endurance, pacing, etc.). From there, we can figure out the adjustments that you'll need to make.

If you have any additional questions, then feel free to contact me directly.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Last edited by [email protected] on Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by Rajdeep Kaur » Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:32 am
GMAT Insight

Thank you for the reply. Will be doing that. But I think a month and a half is less considering that I work full time. I plan on taking GMAT in February or early in March.

Rich

Thanks for the reply. Yes, even I think that the score might be a bit inflated. I will now proceed with the MGMAT books and practice the problem sets given in them. Which test do you think I should take after going through these books? I do not want to take GMAT prep 2 as I am saving it for the end. Should I take the MGMAT test after 2-3 weeks?

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:13 members

by manyaabroadtpr » Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:36 am
Rajdeep Kaur wrote:GMAT Insight

Thank you for the reply. Will be doing that. But I think a month and a half is less considering that I work full time. I plan on taking GMAT in February or early in March.

Rich

Thanks for the reply. Yes, even I think that the score might be a bit inflated. I will now proceed with the MGMAT books and practice the problem sets given in them. Which test do you think I should take after going through these books? I do not want to take GMAT prep 2 as I am saving it for the end. Should I take the MGMAT test after 2-3 weeks?
Hi Rajdeep,

You already have got some great expert advice. We just sharing some bit from our own experience of training students for their GMAT preparation. We are hoping that by now you have already identified your strong and weak areas. Preparing for GMAT should be a balance between working on the basics and then testing out your preparation by giving lots of mock test.

If you plan to take your score to 720+, you should practice lots of mock tests but spend more time in analysing your performance in each of these. Typically, if you spend 2 hours in taking a mock test, spend at least 4-5 hours in analysing your performance. This means that you go over each and every question and figure out a smarter, better and a faster way to solve them. Make a note of all these points and make sure you apply them in your next test. Keep doing this consistently and you will your score rising up.

Also, to be able to apply to top colleges, we would advice you to also start working on your profile. This will help you stand out from other students.
Let us know in case you have any other specific queries and we would be happy to help. Wish you the best.

www.manyagroup.com

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:37 am
Hi Rajdeep Kaur,

There are plenty of reputable CATs that you can use during your studies. If you already have the MGMAT CATs, then you can use those; here are some things to keep in mind:

1) Take a NEW CAT (retaking one that you've already used will likely give you an unrealistic, "inflated" result).
2) Take the ENTIRE CAT (including the Essay and IR sections)
3) Try to take it in a Test-like environment at the same time of day as your Official GMAT.

Once you have your scores, you should report back here.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]