Doubt CR 1

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

Doubt CR 1

by aditya8062 » Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:08 am
While many people think of genetic manipulation of food crops as being aimed at developing larger and larger plant varieties, some plant breeders have in fact concentrated on discovering or producing dwarf varieties, which are roughly half as tall as normal varieties.

Which of the following would, if true, most help to explain the strategy of the plant breeders referred to above?

(A) Plant varieties used as food by some are used as ornamentals by others.

(B) The wholesale prices of a given crop decrease as the supply of it increases.

(C) Crops once produced exclusively for human consumption are often now used for animal feed.

(D) Short plants are less vulnerable to strong wind and heavy rains.

(E) Nations with large industrial sectors tend to consume more processed grains.

my concern: i can understand that option D is viable option; however, i am not able to eliminate option A. Option A does tell us why there might be a demand Of small varieties . Now if there is a demand of small or dwarf plants then there is a reason to believe as why planters are growing them

any viable answer choice should open up the vista so as i can see the argument as possibility.
The interpretation of A is as follows:

A says: Plant varieties used as food by some are used as ornamental by others. ------------->this is implying that bigger plant varieties can be used as food while smaller varieties can be used as ornaments

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:25 am
aditya8062 wrote:While many people think of genetic manipulation of food crops as being aimed at developing larger and larger plant varieties, some plant breeders have in fact concentrated on discovering or producing dwarf varieties, which are roughly half as tall as normal varieties.

Which of the following would, if true, most help to explain the strategy of the plant breeders referred to above?

(A) Plant varieties used as food by some are used as ornamentals by others.

(B) The wholesale prices of a given crop decrease as the supply of it increases.

(C) Crops once produced exclusively for human consumption are often now used for animal feed.

(D) Short plants are less vulnerable to strong wind and heavy rains.

(E) Nations with large industrial sectors tend to consume more processed grains.
The correct answer choice must explain why some plant breeders have concentrated on producing SHORT plants rather than tall plants.
D offers a clear reason: Short plants are less vulnerable to strong wind and heavy rains.

The correct answer is D.

A: Plant varieties used as food by some are used as ornamentals by others.
Since it is possible that ornaments crafted from tall plants are superior to those crafted from short plants, this answer choice does not explain why some plant breeders have focused on producing short plants.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3