Retaking GMAT. Looking for a study partner - Mumbai - Thane

Let's talk about...whatever!
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hi, I've taken GMAT in September and scored 700(Q50, V34). I'm planning to take it again real soon so that I'll have a decent score ready for R2/R3 applications. If anyone in same boat, or targeting 730+ and want to do some quick combined study please let me know. Understandably, we'll be focusing mostly on Verbal. I have CV verbal material online material I purchased which can be referred to along with OGs. We can discuss further and get started if anyone interested. I stay in Thane (W) of Mumbai near Manpada.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:29 pm
Hi retakingsoon,

With a 700/Q50, you've earned an overall score that's right around the 90th percentile and a Quant score that most Test Takers will never earn in their lives. I'm curious why you've chosen to retake the GMAT? What schools/programs are you planning to apply to? Unless you've been told specifically by an Admissions Officer (from a school that you're interested in) to retest or if there's a scholarship requirement that requires a higher GMAT score, then I think that retesting might not be necessary.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Last edited by [email protected] on Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Contact Rich at [email protected]

by retakingsoon » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:56 pm
> What schools/programs are you planning to apply to? Unless you've been told specifically by an Admissions Officer (from a school that you're interested in) to retest or if there's a scholarship requirement that requires a higher GMAT score, then I think that retesting might not be necessary

I talked to couple of friends of mine in top schools and was told that one month is impossible to finish an application. Now I have about one month for any school. So, changed plan to apply just for INSEAD and LBS. Have not given any thought for a school in US. If I don't get into both of these, plan to apply again next year with improved prospects.

by retakingsoon » Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:48 pm
another reason is, applicant pool. I'm from India where majority of applicant pool is dominated by IT folks with 720+ scores. I'm confident of differentiating myself from the application pool in terms of professional experience, but don't want to be booted out in the initial screening of applicants itself because of GMAT score, because I feel I'm capable of 98%le provided some disciplined prep. Also, Q50 might be impressive by global averages, V34 is not.