LBS MiM for Recent HYS JD Grad

Figure out where you wish to apply
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

LBS MiM for Recent HYS JD Grad

by paperorplastic » Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:27 pm
Hi All,

I am a recent HYS JD grad, considering an MiM at LBS. Hoping to receive experienced opinions on the following questions:

1) After graduation, what level position will I enter into for banks/consulting firms/industry (i.e. will it be MBA-level positions or Masters)? Based upon conversations with individuals in the space, it seems that banks/consulting firms would likely hire at MBA-level, but curious to hear about industry management positions.

2) Is there any disadvantage to getting the MiM vs. an MBA for more long-term career progression considerations?

Thanks,

paperorplastic

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:8 members

by interviewbay22 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:49 pm
Hello

MiM is more suited for fresh graduates or graduates with a work experience of less than a year. Is this the case with you?

As far as placements go, in LBS over 95% of the class gets placed within 3 months of matriculation. Judging by the vast difference in average and median salaries of placed MBA and MiM students, it is safe to say that MiM graduates are not placed in MBA-level positions which is quite obvious as they begin with little or no work experience.

Banks and consulting firms certainly hire MiM graduates. Almost all the top consulting and IB firms are present in the list of recruiters of MiM graduates from LBS. Although the position that MBA grads would be placed into will be more managerial in nature.

It is not a matter of advantage or disadvantage, rather that of suitability based on work experience and your requirements. You can either pursue MiM now and go for an EMBA down the line, or you could get some solid work experience and go for an MBA after 2-3 years.

Let me know what you think

www.interviewbay.com
Application Reviews & Mock Interviews by Alumni of your Target B-School

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by paperorplastic » Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:58 pm
Hi interviewbay,

Thanks for the response. Re: placement level vs the MBA, I was specifically wondering whether the JD would place me in a different category for post-graduation position purposes as compared to MiM students without a JD. Ordinarily, a JD will qualify for an "associate" position at BB IBDs, and a similar MBA level position at MBB/other consulting firms. However, I am less certain about industry managerial positions. Do you have any information for this?

Also, does anybody have any input re: 1) the hiring environment in London for US citizens, or 2) the difficulty of recruiting for positions in the US after completing the MiM at LBS? Anecdotally I have heard that some of MBB will interview in London for US based positions. Any info here?

Followed by:8 members

by interviewbay22 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:30 am
Hello again paperorplastic

Compared to the other MiM students in your class, you will have an advantage with the JD. But if you had even a year f work experience as a layer or relevant internships at law firms or as a law consultant, that will add more value to your profile. If that is the case then certainly you will have better and more lucrative job offers after MiM. LBS being one of the top business schools in the world post MiM you will have excellent opportunities in both US and London.

Hope this helps

All the best

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Check out our free e-book on how to get into the world's best business schools https://www.interviewbay.com/mba/how-to- ... -ebook.php

www.InterviewBay.com

Application Reviews & Mock Interviews by Alumni of Your target B-Schools

Followed by:12 members
GMAT Score:770

by GeneralEducation » Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:36 am
Hi paperorplastic (Interesting choice of name!)

I agree with most of the things discussed here. Let me give you my 2 cents here:

1. I've heard good things about MiM. I've seen a few people go there and do well. But it really is a matter of where you are in your career. I am pretty sure LBS has this criterion of work ex < 1 yr for MiM, and they do follow it. The avg work ex for MBA at LBS is much higher, so you can obviously expect a higher salary range and a better position for most of the class, really.

2. Your JD will definitely help you. But I don't think it would be realistic to expect similar results to an MBA grad there, since they typically come with solid work experience.
Overall, from what I've heard from a few individuals in London, the hiring scene isn't as great as it used to be. That said, LBS is obviously the first choice for banks in London. I'm sure it'll give you a great shot at recruiting in London. Being a US citizen should also be fine, but competing with others back home with an MiM might have its own challenges, with competition from the other, equally good b-schools.

All the Best with your applications!
Director (ISB Alumnus)
General Education - India's premier GMAT & Application Consulting company

Get Advice: +91- 90350 50056 | Email Us: [email protected]

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:5 members
GMAT Score:690

by Abhyank » Thu Sep 17, 2015 1:08 pm
Well i had been mulling over most of the same doubts that you mentioned, when i was preparing for the MiM last year.
LBS is an amazing school and its MiM is doing really well and climbing the rankings rapidly, the only thing that deterred me from taking an admit there was the immigration laws which make post grad opportunities a little limited for students, especially non-EU ones.

In the end i ended up taking an admit at ESCP Europe in Paris,and havent looked back since. The french grand ecoles of HEC, ESSEC and ESCP are a pretty fearsome trio and are excellent MiM schools one can target.

Anyways coming back to LBS, i did some digging into it and its MiM program and wrote a short review which lists out some of its salient features, post grad opportunities as well as admission criterias. Hope it is helpful to future applicants.
https://www.mim-essay.com/lbs-mim-review.html

Hope it is helpful.
Abhyank Srinet
Founder and Head Consultant at MiM-Essay.com

97% Success Rate| 7000+ Admits in Top Schools| 10 Million Euros in Scholarships

Want to 3X your chances of selection? Book a consulting call here:
https://www.mim-essay.com/book-an-appoi ... rm/?btgmat