Profile Evaluation Request for Peace Corps Volunteer

Figure out where you wish to apply
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
I'm wondering if the top 10 is a possibility for me- I graduated with a 3.3 gpa from Emory and majored in Economics/Math. I got a 720 on the GMAT and worked 3 years doing business analytics in an operations/supply chain role at a top retailer with 1 promotion.

I'm planning on joining the Peace Corps to gain some international/volunteer experience and will most likely be teaching English in China. My reason for getting an MBA is that I want to make a move into consulting and would really welcome the possibility of working in Asia. What are my chances are the top schools like Kellogg, Wharton, Columbia, INSEAD?

Thanks in advance!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:8 members

by interviewbay22 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:13 am
Hello tomtaz517

Your profile looks decent. Your stats are good but they fall slightly short for the schools you have mentioned. Avg GMAT for Wharton is nearly 730 each year and the average GMAT at these schools averages at 3.5
These schools as of now are slightly ambitious. But a lot depends on your work experience, extracurricular activities and leadership as well. In the peace corps, try to gain as much leadership experience as you can as that will help you. I think you stand a decent stand at some of the top 10 -15 schools. As you want to enter consulting, Emory has the second highest conversion ration for converting students from a non-consulting background to consulting.

Try to gain valuable leadership experience while working in China while making fruitful contributions to the society. As a teacher, you can upgrade/overhaul the curriculum of the students, introduce changes, optimizations to the education process, organize various events, etc. Their performance will be a testimony of your skills. Make the most of your time there as such an experience will make your profile quite unique.

While this experience would be valuable, it is not in line with your post MBA goals. If your post MBA goals included social entrepreneurship or working in non-profit sector, peace corps would make a lot more sense. So, I suggest after coming back, or during your time there, get some experience in consulting as well, because you will need a solid reason for wanting to pursue it after MBA.

Certainly apply to 2 - 3 schools in top-10 but also apply to schools in top 10-15 and top 16-20 to ensure you have some safe schools in your list.

All the best
www.InterviewBay.com
Application Reviews & Mock Interviews by Alumni of your Target School

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by tomtaz517 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:47 am
Hi-

Thanks so much for your response! I do agree that the peace corps does not 100% align with my post MBA goals, and have gotten this feedback from others as well. The value I see in it comes from really immersing yourself in a different culture and having the opportunity to make fruitful changes, as you suggested. I would really welcome the opportunity to work in the Asia area post MBA.

With that said, application wise, do you think it makes more sense for me to stay at my current company (will get promoted one more time)? My application will be then centered around wanting to switch from operations/supply chain to strategy consulting vs operations/supply chain + international volunteer with the same goals.

Thanks again for your great response!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:8 members

by interviewbay22 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:18 pm
Hello again

It would be great if you could get another promotion. I think you could continue working at your firm for another year or so, totaling your work experience to nearly 4 years. After this you can join the peace corps just before you begin your applications. Since you want to work in Asia post MBA, living in Asia and volunteering there would certainly help. Getting into Peace corps is also quite competitive and selection requires display of strong leadership skills. So getting selected in itself will be an achievement.

You can go through this article to see the kind of work experience B-schools expect from their applicants https://www.interviewbay.com/blog/6-comp ... pplication

Hope this helps

All the best

www.InterviewBay.com

Application Reviews & Mock Interviews by Alumni of your Target School