's confussion

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members

's confussion

by NaimaB » Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:15 am
When calculating the annual tax deducted at the end of the year, it is sometimes difficult to predict whether an income will surpass a certain bracket.

(A) When calculating the annual tax deducted at the end of the year, it is sometimes difficult to predict whether an income will surpass a certain bracket

(B) When calculating the tax deducted at the end of the year, it is sometimes difficult to predict if an income will surpass a certain bracket

(C) It is sometimes difficult to predict whether or not an income will surpass a certain bracket when calculating the tax deducted annually

(D) When calculating the tax deducted at the year's end, it is sometimes difficult to predict whether an income will surpass a certain bracket

(E) When calculating the tax deducted at the end of the year, it is sometimes difficult to predict whether an income will surpass a certain bracket or not

Correct answer is D.

My questions are:
1. Is the use of '' year's '' in answer D correct? As far as i know, 's is only allowed with concrete/tangible nouns to express possession. Would appreciate any expert's opinion to clear my concept in this regard.
2. Is the use of 'or not' with 'whether' is wrong?

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:28 pm
NaimaB wrote:When calculating the annual tax deducted at the end of the year, it is sometimes difficult to predict whether an income will surpass a certain bracket.

(A) When calculating the annual tax deducted at the end of the year, it is sometimes difficult to predict whether an income will surpass a certain bracket

(B) When calculating the tax deducted at the end of the year, it is sometimes difficult to predict if an income will surpass a certain bracket

(C) It is sometimes difficult to predict whether or not an income will surpass a certain bracket when calculating the tax deducted annually

(D) When calculating the tax deducted at the year's end, it is sometimes difficult to predict whether an income will surpass a certain bracket

(E) When calculating the tax deducted at the end of the year, it is sometimes difficult to predict whether an income will surpass a certain bracket or not
In some cases, a subordinate clause will omit a subject and a verb when their presence is clearly understood.
Such a clause is called a VERBLESS clause.
Generally, a VERBLESS CLAUSE is introduced by a CONJUNCTION such as if, although, while, when, etc.
Example:
John should not eat while watching television.
Conveyed meaning:
John should not eat while [he is] watching television.
Here, the words in brackets are omitted, but their presence is implied.

If a sentence begins with a verbless clause, the implied subject of the verbless clause must be the FIRST WORD after the comma.
A, B, D and E: When calculating, it is sometimes...
Here, the first word after the comma is it, implying that IT is CALCULATING.
Not the intended meaning.
Eliminate, A, B, D and E.

C: It is sometimes difficult to predict whether or not an income will surpass a certain bracket.
Here, or not is redundant.
It would be sufficient to say the following:
It is sometimes difficult to predict whether an income will surpass a certain bracket.
Eliminate C.

Ignore this SC.
It does not have a correct answer.
What is the source?
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by NaimaB » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:34 pm
This question is from a simulation test of The Economist GMAT Tutor. It was the first question of the test and i got it wrong. I chose option C as it was the only option left after eliminating A,B,D and E based on the reason you provided.

In the explanations, they have eliminated A because of the redundant use of annual and year in the same sentence.

B was eliminated for the use of 'if' in the sentence. As this is not a conditional sentence, 'If' can not be used.

C & E are eliminated because of the use of 'or not' with 'whether'

D is shown as the right answer in the explanation.

Can you please clear my confusion about using 's with year?

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:20 am
NaimaB wrote:Can you please clear my confusion about using 's with year?
The following phrases have appeared in official SCs from GMAC:
50 years' production
today's technology.

The OE for SC94 in the OG13 states the following:
a comparison between this year's and last year's heating-oil prices.

Given these official usages, I would not cite year's end as a valid reason to eliminate an answer choice.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3