Advice on B-School Selection

Figure out where you wish to apply
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Advice on B-School Selection

by varun_pant » Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:01 am
Hii I am Varun Pant . I work as an IT professional with a work-ex of 4 years ,out of Pune, India.
I gave my GMAT just last week and contrary to my expectations ,fared relatively badly there.

GMAT-1 650 (Quant 46, Verbal 34)

I do plan to give the test another shot, not because I think 650 is bad score , but because I think I have prepared well to score a 700+.
Any ways, this time I am trying to prepare through a plan, I have a list of colleges that I want to get into and based on that I am trying to forge a preparation cycle. As I am from India , and want to stay more or less near to it, I am planning to do my MBA from South-East Asia/India. And as finances are a concern to me, Asia , seems to be a fine choice.
I am primarily targeting NUS, NTU and SMU. Out of these three, NUS would be a dream destination . I am also researching for some good colleges in China as it is too coming up with good colleges , probably will keep them in the back up list.
Here is my profile
Undergrad - B Tech in Information Technology from U.P.T.U. India
Undergrad CGPA 3.5

Proffessional Experience 4 years of experience in Mobile Application(Android) development. In a leading Indian MNC. Have worked closely with team from the inception of the design to the development and have been part of some of the very first business-intensive Android apps for insurance industry in India.
Currently working in a US-based firm and working for a critical Banking client.

Extra Currics Was in the Editorial team for both School and college Magazine, member of the cultural committee, Avid writer of blogs and Write-ups. Have got 4-5 articles published in a leading English daily while in college. Participated and in various national -level fests' debate competitions. Also Edited my company' bi-weekly magazine for four months.
Also worked for Teach for India foundation for 3 months, and have participated for the company's Go-Green initiatives.
Lover of Indian classical music and books

Area Of Interest Indian Classical Music, reading Non-fictional Books, Watching Documentries on World-Economics and History, and reading/reasearching about Functional impact of the booming Mobil Technology.

My Target Schools - I am basically targeting Schools based out of South-East Asia and India , in order of Preference
NUS,Singapore
NTU, Singapore
SMU. Singapore
ISB, Hyderabad/Great Lakes ,Chennai
Also researching emerging schools in China

Future Aspirations- -I love to play around with the functional aspects of the code/application we develop and the impact it has on Society as a whole. In the coming years I see myself as Strategic Consultant for a IT/Software product critical to the Banking/Financial/Insurance market or even working as a Product Owner for any of such Products. To cut the long story short, I very much want to be in the "our very own" IT industry.
Would be highly obliged and overwhelmed if you can judge my profile and provide your precious bits on School Selection. Moreover please do suggest some other colleges suitable for my profile where in financial inputs from my side would be modest.

by rahuljain1994 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:01 am
Hi, I am currently in my 12th grade (commerce) and expecting a good 90% in my boards. I am planning to go abroad for my bachelors. I have an inclination towards finance hence I was planning to do my Bachleors in finance. On the other hand, I find BBA to be quite an advanced program. Can someone please suggest me which would be a better program?

by jinesh1995 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:03 am
Hi, I am currently in TY BBA and specializing in marketing. I would suggest you take up BBA itself, as you know there are a lot of case studies and projects involved and hence you would learn a lot. Moreover, you can specialize in finance. I guess it would be quite a good course for you.

by rahuljain1994 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:05 am
Thanks a ton! Can you tell me which college are you from?

by jinesh1995 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:06 am
I am from S P Jain School of Global management.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:12 members
GMAT Score:770

by GeneralEducation » Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:18 am
Hi Varun,

Sorry to hear your GMAT didn't go as expected. It happens with a number of test-takers, so you should always keep you chin up and brace yourself for another round if the need be.

What is the status right now? Have you retaken the GMAT, or applied to any of the mentioned schools?

I do think the GMAT is just about average. The two Singapore schools you've mentioned could be worth taking a chance, although they would not be considered 'safe' schools. ISB's cycle for this year is done.

If you're keen on improving your GMAT, we have some great help for that - https://www.genedmba.com/services/gmat-preparation/

If you do want to go ahead with applications, we can definitely look at how to put your essays and profile in the best possible light, and can have detailed discussions to understand your requirements and shortlist the most suitable schools.

In any of the cases, feel free to reach out. The next set of deadlines are around the corner.

All the Best!

varun_pant wrote:Hii I am Varun Pant . I work as an IT professional with a work-ex of 4 years ,out of Pune, India.
I gave my GMAT just last week and contrary to my expectations ,fared relatively badly there.

I do plan to give the test another shot, not because I think 650 is bad score , but because I think I have prepared well to score a 700+.
Any ways, this time I am trying to prepare through a plan, I have a list of colleges that I want to get into and based on that I am trying to forge a preparation cycle. As I am from India , and want to stay more or less near to it, I am planning to do my MBA from South-East Asia/India. And as finances are a concern to me, Asia , seems to be a fine choice.
I am primarily targeting NUS, NTU and SMU. Out of these three, NUS would be a dream destination . I am also researching for some good colleges in China as it is too coming up with good colleges , probably will keep them in the back up list.
Here is my profile
Undergrad CGPA 3.5

Proffessional Experience 4 years of experience in Mobile Application(Android) development. In a leading Indian MNC. Have worked closely with team from the inception of the design to the development and have been part of some of the very first business-intensive Android apps for insurance industry in India.

Extra Currics Was in the Editorial team for both School and college Magazine, member of the cultural committee, Avid writer of blogs and Write-ups. Have got 4-5 articles published in a leading English daily while in college. Participated and in various national -level fests' debate competitions. Also Edited my company' bi-weekly magazine for four months.
Also worked for Teach for India foundation for 3 months, and have participated for the company's Go-Green initiatives.

Area Of Interest Indian Classical Music, reading Non-fictional Books, Watching Documentries on World-Economics and History, and reading/reasearching about Functional impact of the booming Mobil Technology.

My Target Schools - I am basically targeting Schools based out of South-East Asia and India , in order of Preference
NUS,Singapore
NTU, Singapore
SMU. Singapore

Future Aspirations- -I love to play around with the functional aspects of the code/application we develop and the impact it has on Society as a whole. In the coming years I see myself as Strategic Consultant for a IT/Software product critical to the Banking/Financial/Insurance market or even working as a Product Owner for any of such Products. To cut the long story short, I very much want to be in the "our very own" IT industry.
Would be highly obliged and overwhelmed if you can judge my profile and provide your precious bits on School Selection. Moreover please do suggest some other colleges suitable for my profile where in financial inputs from my side would be modest.
Director (ISB Alumnus)
General Education - India's premier GMAT & Application Consulting company

Get Advice: +91- 90350 50056 | Email Us: [email protected]

by varun_pant » Sat Dec 27, 2014 11:45 pm
Hii,ammanish...Thanks for the post and sorry foe the late reply. Well as it turned I wont be submitting applications to any of the schools right now as want to give another shot at the test as I firmly believe that I can rock that examination. I have just started preparing for the exam and will be giving it sometime in id-April.

I plan to target ISB and the south asian colleges this time around. I actually want to continue in the IT sector post my MBA.My primary purpose of doing an MBA is to accelerate my career growth, as I really want to land up Product Management/IT Consulting sector.

As you said that NUS, NTU cannot be put into the bracket of safe schools, can you advice me on some colleges that are safe and colleges that are emerging in CHina region, as I really think CHina may be a very bustling place to do an MBA from.

I plan to do it from Asia region because I think the region is economically emerging and active too. I would get the opportunity to dive in to n number of avenues if I get my degree from this region.

I just needed some advice on which other b-schools that I can explore in that region, and is it economically fasible/viable to do an MBA from that region rather than doing it from US/Europe.

ammanish wrote:Hi Varun,

Sorry to hear your GMAT didn't go as expected. It happens with a number of test-takers, so you should always keep you chin up and brace yourself for another round if the need be.

What is the status right now? Have you retaken the GMAT, or applied to any of the mentioned schools?

I do think the GMAT is just about average. The two Singapore schools you've mentioned could be worth taking a chance, although they would not be considered 'safe' schools. ISB's cycle for this year is done.

If you're keen on improving your GMAT, we have some great help for that - https://www.genedmba.com/services/gmat-preparation/

If you do want to go ahead with applications, we can definitely look at how to put your essays and profile in the best possible light, and can have detailed discussions to understand your requirements and shortlist the most suitable schools.

In any of the cases, feel free to reach out. The next set of deadlines are around the corner.

All the Best!

varun_pant wrote:Hii I am Varun Pant . I work as an IT professional with a work-ex of 4 years ,out of Pune, India.

Here is my profile
Undergrad CGPA 3.5

NUS,Singapore
NTU, Singapore
SMU. Singapore

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:3 members

by saikatlahiri » Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:41 pm
Hi Varun,

Is there a reason you are not targeting IIMs? Just intrigued.

by varun_pant » Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:26 pm
saikatlahiri wrote:Hi Varun,

Hii,

I have a total experience of 4 years , I dont think I can leverage that experience for a 1 year MBA course at IIMs unless my profile is a "Profile extraordinaire!!". And since I belong to the common Indian IT pool, I dont think my experience and professional work-abouts will make much impact to the great men at IIMs,

Please correct me if I am wrong , because if that's not the case I would love to give a shot at IIMs :)

by saikatlahiri » Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:44 am
varun_pant wrote:

Hii,

I have a total experience of 4 years , I dont think I can leverage that experience for a 1 year MBA course at IIMs unless my profile is a "Profile extraordinaire!!". And since I belong to the common Indian IT pool, I dont think my experience and professional work-abouts will make much impact to the great men at IIMs,

Please correct me if I am wrong , because if that's not the case I would love to give a shot at IIMs :)
Hi,

So , if i understand it correctly you will be applying for class 16-17. If that is correct, then by the time you apply you would have an experience of 5 years because the number of years of experience is generally counted till a month before the session starts, which in your case will be till March'16.

I agree that getting into one of those coveted IIMs especially A, B, C is not going to be easy but definitely not impossible. I have an IT profile and not too stellar GMAT score but managed to get into IIM-C(I will be joing the 2015-16 batch). In my opinion you should give it a try since you have time and I believe the mountain can be conquered!!.

We started a thread for IIM-C PGPEX query resolution to help future candidates with their query.Shoot out your queries and we will try get alums, current students to answer those for a smoother ride!!..Good luck !!

by varun_pant » Sat Jan 10, 2015 3:21 am
Hii,

Well , as per my finances and future plans , I guess nothing can be as fruitful as the IIMs. Its just that , I got to know from places that IIM need PGPEX need humongous amount of experience.

Well I had actually I had given a shot at GMAT 2 months ago and scored a dismal 650. I plan to give it again soon. I know, rather have the confidence that I can score a 700+ in this exam and thus I am rearing to go for a second attempt.My main worries are "How to build a strong Profile"

I guess my profile has been stagnated for the last four years by being "Just another IT guy". Although I have worked in Hi-Tech (Android development). BFS and Insurance domain. Anyways,I have decent extra-currics with me

My sole reason to do an MBA is to accelerate my career growth in the IT industry in the context of Strategic and Product Management. I think that doing an MBA would definitely provide a boost for me to foray into management roles and moreover a good degree coupled with the experience in latest technology that I have worked will turn into great career prospects.

I would be grateful if you could guide me on how to approach IIM PGPEX. What sort of a profile to nurture
And please forward me the link of that IIM_C thread that you were talking about.

Thanks a lot.
Varun

saikatlahiri wrote:
varun_pant wrote:

Hii,

Hi,

So , if i understand it correctly you will be applying for class 16-17. If that is correct, then by the time you apply you would have an experience of 5 years because the number of years of experience is generally counted till a month before the session starts, which in your case will be till March'16.

I agree that getting into one of those coveted IIMs especially A, B, C is not going to be easy but definitely not impossible. I have an IT profile and not too stellar GMAT score but managed to get into IIM-C(I will be joing the 2015-16 batch). In my opinion you should give it a try since you have time and I believe the mountain can be conquered!!.

We started a thread for IIM-C PGPEX query resolution to help future candidates with their query.Shoot out your queries and we will try get alums, current students to answer those for a smoother ride!!..Good luck !!

by saikatlahiri » Sat Jan 10, 2015 5:46 am
Hi Varun,

Here is the thread, if you post your sepecific queries on IIM- C PGPEX , on this thread then we can start taking them on.

https://www.beatthegmat.com/iim-calcutta ... 81631.html