doubt SC 3

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

doubt SC 3

by aditya8062 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 6:52 am
Most of the exhibit's 350 sculptures, monumental and minute, are national treasures in Bolivia and Peru and now can be seen by patrons across the globe.

A)monumental and minute, are national treasures

B)including those that are monumental and minute, are national treasures

C)monumental and minute, is a national treasure

D)including those that are monumental and that are minute, are a national treasure

E)monumental or minute, have been a national treasure

my concern: in the proclaimed answer A, i feel that the apposition "monumental and minute" is NOT CORRECT. this apposition is the description of "350 sculptures" . A sculpture that is "monumental" CANNOT be "minute" at the same time. i feel that the better option would have been: Most of the exhibit's 350 sculptures, monumental OR minute, are national treasures in Bolivia and Peru and now can be seen by patrons across the globe.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:42 am
aditya8062 wrote: my concern: in the proclaimed answer A, i feel that the apposition "monumental and minute" is NOT CORRECT. this apposition is the description of "350 sculptures" . A sculpture that is "monumental" CANNOT be "minute" at the same time. i feel that the better option would have been: Most of the exhibit's 350 sculptures, monumental OR minute, are national treasures in Bolivia and Peru and now can be seen by patrons across the globe.
ADJECTIVE + and + OPPOSITE ADJECTIVE is a rhetorical device sometimes used to emphasize that the ENTIRE SPECTRUM of members is included.
John loves all creatures big and small.
Conveyed meaning:
John loves all creatures, from the biggest creature to the smallest creature.

In the SC above, monumental and minute seems to be an example of this rhetorical device.
But the SC above is discussing not all sculptures but only THE SCULPTURES AT THE EXHIBIT.
Thus, the usage of monumental and minute seems inappropriate, possibly leading a reader to construe that the sculptures at the exhibit are both monumental and minute AT THE SAME TIME.
Not the intended meaning.
I would ignore this SC.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3