Rectangle in a circle - tough one

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

Rectangle in a circle - tough one

by rahulvsd » Thu May 03, 2012 10:08 am
A rectangle is inscribed in a circle of radius r. If the rectangle is not a square, which of the following could be equal to the perimeter of the rectangle?

A. 2r(Sqrt 3)
B. 2r(Sqrt 3 + 1)
C. 4r(Sqrt 2)
D. 4r(Sqrt 3)
E. 4r(Sqrt3 + 1)

[spoiler]OA: B. [/spoiler]

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by karthikchandru » Thu May 03, 2012 10:26 am
Good question.
If the rectangle is not a square, it means that the if we equally divide the square into 2 rectangles, then their angles will not be 45 degrees (or they won't be 45-45-90 triangles).
However, they can be 30-60-90 triangles. The diagonal of this rectangle will pass through the origin of the circle and hence will have a measure of "2r". We know that in a 30-60-90 triangle, the ratio of the sides is 1:sqrt(3):2
So, if the hypotenuse is "2r", the sides will have be "1r" and sqrt(3)*r".
Therefore, the perimeter of this rectangle will be 2 * (r + sqrt(3)*r) = 2r(Sqrt(3) + 1) --> which is (B)

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Thu May 03, 2012 8:03 pm
rahulvsd wrote:A rectangle is inscribed in a circle of radius r. If the rectangle is not a square, which of the following could be equal to the perimeter of the rectangle?

A. 2r(Sqrt 3)
B. 2r(Sqrt 3 + 1)
C. 4r(Sqrt 2)
D. 4r(Sqrt 3)
E. 4r(Sqrt3 + 1)

[spoiler]OA: B. [/spoiler]
When shapes overlap, look for what they have IN COMMON.
When a rectangle is inscribed in a circle, the DIAGONAL of the rectangle is also the DIAMETER of the circle.

Almost every answer choice here includes √3.
√3 implies a 30-60-90 triangle.
The sides of a 30-60-90 triangle are in the following ratio:
1 - √3 - 2.

Let r=1, implying a diameter of 2.
Draw the following figure:

The perimeter of the rectangle above = 2 + 2√3. This is our target.
Now we plug r=1 into the answers to see whether one of them yields our target of 2 + 2√3.

Answer choice B:
2r(√3 + 1) = 2(1)(√3 + 1) = 2√3 + 2.
Success!

The correct answer is B.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by Joseph_Alexander » Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:07 pm
GMATGuruNY wrote:When a rectangle is inscribed in a circle, the DIAGONAL of the rectangle is also the DIAMETER of the circle.
I think what distracted me while solving this question was the statement, "if the rectangle is not square". I knew that the diagonal of a square will certainly be the diameter of the circle. But, now when I drawing inscribed rectangles in a circle, I notice that the diagonal of rectangle will certainly be the diameter of a circle.

GMAC often says that in a PS question, every bit of data is useful. Why is the data "if the rectangle is not square" given in this question?

Is it just a helper to say the triangles formed won't be a 45-45-90 triangle and to use the answer choices and go ahead presuming the triangle to be a 30-60-90 triangle? :roll:

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by Mathsbuddy » Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:58 am
Each diagonal of the rectangle is equal to the diameter of the circle. In addition Circle Theory says that a triangle in a semi-circle is right angled. Therefore the diameter is also the hypotenuse.
The hypotenuse is 2R and we need to find an answer that corresponds with a^2 + b^2 = (2R)^2 [by Pythagoras' Theorem], where and b are the lengths of the other 2 sides.
Then the perimeter will be P = a + b + 2R = 2R([a+b]/2R + 1)
Only one answer corresponds to such a pattern. That is ANSWER B = 2R(Sqrt 3 + 1)