MBA program for 10+yrs experience

Figure out where you wish to apply
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

MBA program for 10+yrs experience

by BeattheVerbal » Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:56 am
Hi,

I have total of 10+ years of experience. Had taken GMAT in Nov.2013 with 620(Q49 V26). My verbal is at lower side. I am targeting schools mostly in India. Was planning to retake gnat this Nov. but I feel I need couple of months more. So, have postponed it till Dec. end. So, my application will be for 2016.

My profile is- B.E(Electronics & Telecomm) 65% Mumbai university. Currently working in IT Datacenter services as consultant. Have taken few initiatives at work place,resulting in financial savings. Received few awards as well. I do not have any extra curricular at school or college level.

Would like to know whether such high work ex will be a deterrent for program? And which schools I can target?

Thank you..

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:8 members

by interviewbay22 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:47 pm
Hello BeatTheVerbal

I would suggest you to get your scores converted on a four point scale. Your GPA as of now does not look very impressive so you will need a score much better than 620 to make the cut. Are you targeting schools outside India as well? Try to aim for 720.

Work experience of over 10 years could be a deterrent especially if you are applying to schools in the US. If you have strong reasons for pursuing MBA at this stage then you do stand a chance at US Business Schools as well. It is advisable to apply to schools in Europe - SDA Bocconi, IMD, HEC Paris, IE as they tend to have a larger pool of older applicants.

As an older applicant you will be expected to have more leadership experience and achievements. Extracurricular activities are also very important. In your case, the extracurricular activities post college will be more significant so not having any in school or during college may not be a major issue. Tell me more about your work experience and ECs. Also tell me about your post MBA goals and what has prompted you to pursue MBA at this stage.

This article may be of some use to you https://www.interviewbay.com/blog/does-a ... for-an-mba

Do get back to me

www.interviewbay.com
Application Reviews & Mock Interviews by Alumni of Your Target B-School

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by BeattheVerbal » Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:48 pm
Hi interviewbay22,

I am targeting schools in only India. I was planning to take GMAT by 25th Nov. to apply for ISB but though my mock scores are in the range of 680-720, I am not confident enough. Also, application is not ready yet. Hence, have to postpone it. My actual Test score has always been lower than my mock..one reason is pacing..and verbal content. I am preparing this since last 7-8 months on-off but have gathered speed now.

My profile is: 10+ years of work ex in IT Datacenter operations. I handle a critical production support for an airport client. Along with this, also handling service improve the for my business unit. This is mainly focusing on financial savings and service delivery improvement.
1. Was awarded by Senior leadership for automating a delivery operation, resulting in huge saving. Was appreciated for my innovative steps.
2. Consistently rated among top 20% in my organisation.
3. Expecting promotion in January.
4. Currently responsible for impelemtation of one of the critical initiative spanning 20 projects. Each project generates revenue worth millions of dollars, and this initiative is expected to be a value add. So, have to plan, coordinate, verify and progess each phase of this program.
5. Received few more awards over last couple of years for my contribution to the projects.
6. Mentored few new joiners in my first job after 2 years in that role.

Extra curricular: Though I am part of CSR group in my organisation haven't done much apart from few on-off activities.
- have participated in few treks etc.
So, I don't have too much to show for EC.

Post MBA goal: To move to a strategic role in IT operations in Banking\aviation sector, from my existing technical heavy role.

Could you please suggest what I can improve on to strengthen my application?

Thank you.