Strategies for improving time in 5 weeks

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Strategies for improving time in 5 weeks

by Kristinaw14 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:05 pm
Hello all! I am looking to score in the 550-600 range. I have taken the GMAT in times past and failed miserably due to HUGE timing issues.Here are my last few practice tests scores:
Oct 2014: MGMAT 580
Oct 2014 GMAT Prep #1: 450 (not sure why I fell 130 points in 2 weeks)
REAL GMAT: 440 --> very close to GMAT Prep I took a week before actual GMAT
Nov 2014: MGMAT Prep--> this test was taken with AWA/IR in a public place to simulate the real test taking environment
** Note: I only have timing issues on Quant

My huge issue is timing. I am usually pretty solid and in the middle when the questions get harder I lose time and end up having 7-8 minutes for the last 8-10 problems. How do I correct this issue? I usually do sets of 10 from OG in 20 minute increments. Should I be taking practice every week to help me pace? Are these the strategies I should be using? Any other (better) strategies? Thank you! :)

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:13 pm
Kristinaw14 wrote: My huge issue is timing. I am usually pretty solid and in the middle when the questions get harder I lose time and end up having 7-8 minutes for the last 8-10 problems. How do I correct this issue? I usually do sets of 10 from OG in 20 minute increments. Should I be taking practice every week to help me pace? Are these the strategies I should be using? Any other (better) strategies? Thank you! :)
It's going to take a while to increase your score from 440 to 550/600. So, when you practice questions from the OG, don't obsess about timing just yet. CONTENT first - speed second.

That said, I think it's a good idea to use a stopwatch to help get an idea of what 2 minutes feels like. This tip and others can be found in my BTG articles on "making friends with time on the GMAT"
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/2011/06/ ... mat-part-i
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/2011/07/ ... at-part-ii

Regarding time management on full-length practice tests: I suggest that you use the following Milestone Charts to keep you on track:
We (at GMAT Prep Now) feel that these times are easily remembered so you can quickly jot them on your noteboard on test day.

This (and more) is covered in our free GMAT time management video at https://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gener ... es?id=1244

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:13 pm
Hi Kristinaw14,

Many Test Takers experience pacing problems during their studies, so you're not alone. Unfortunately, your pacing problem is the result of some other mistakes that you're making - to fix it AND raise your GMAT score, we have to take a more detailed look at how you've been studying. If you can answer a few questions, then I'll be happy to advise.

1) How long have you been studying?
2) What materials have you been using to study?
3) What were your Scaled Scores for the Quant and Verbal sections on each of your practice CATs (and on the Official GMAT)?

Using your 440 Official GMAT score as a baseline, your goal is to improve 110 - 160 points. That is an attainable goal, but it's going to take some time. Most Test Takers spend 3 months (or more) on their studies, putting in 10-15 hours (or more) per week.

Are you facing any deadlines?
When are you planning to apply to Business School?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by Kristinaw14 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 6:16 pm
1) I enrolled in a MGMAT prep course back in August, so I have been studying since August. I took the 440 GMAT 10/29. I just wasn't sure why my MGMAT practice tests are between 540-580 and the GMAT Prep and Real GMAT are that far below those scores. Are the algorithms that different between MGMAT and GMAT Prep?

2)I have been through MGMAT quant and most of the verbal books. I am now working through OG problems

3) MGMAT 10/2014: 580 (Q34 V35)
GMAT Prep week before Real GMAT: 450 (Q26 V26)
Real GMAT: 440 (Q26 V26)
MGMAT taken yesterday 11/09/2014: 540 (Q36 V29)

My deadline is by then end of the year!

I am applying for a Masters in Accounting at University of Nebraska (where I live now). I have most prereqs and the GPA, just need the GMAT score now. The minimum I need is a 550

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:19 pm
Hi Kristinaw14,

When a Test Taker sees a significant score drop on Test Day, the likely causes are based on either unrealistic practice or some Test Day factors (including the 48 hours before Test Day) that may have affected his/her performance.

I want to start with something that affects a lot of Test Takers. When you took these practice CATs, did you take the ENTIRE CAT (including the Essay and IR sections)? If not, then you took a shorter Test that did not properly test your pacing and endurance. In these cases, the likely result is an "inflated" score. The Official GMAT takes the better part of 4 hours to complete, so you need to train for THAT experience.

It might also be that you just had a "bad day", but the data doesn't quite support that.

Have you scheduled your next GMAT appointment yet?
What is the latest that you can push it back?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:13 members

by manyaabroadtpr » Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:01 pm
Kristinaw14 wrote:Hello all! I am looking to score in the 550-600 range. I have taken the GMAT in times past and failed miserably due to HUGE timing issues.Here are my last few practice tests scores:
Oct 2014: MGMAT 580
Oct 2014 GMAT Prep #1: 450 (not sure why I fell 130 points in 2 weeks)
REAL GMAT: 440 --> very close to GMAT Prep I took a week before actual GMAT
Nov 2014: MGMAT Prep--> this test was taken with AWA/IR in a public place to simulate the real test taking environment
** Note: I only have timing issues on Quant

My huge issue is timing. I am usually pretty solid and in the middle when the questions get harder I lose time and end up having 7-8 minutes for the last 8-10 problems. How do I correct this issue? I usually do sets of 10 from OG in 20 minute increments. Should I be taking practice every week to help me pace? Are these the strategies I should be using? Any other (better) strategies? Thank you! :)
Hi,

Try this:
Sit with a timer and take a test. Analyse your score and figure out ways by which you could have improved your score. After a day, take the same test again and this time set the timer for 1 hour only. Try this with a few more mock test wherein you take the test in its regular time, analyse it and then retake the same test again after a few days and try to finish the same in 1 hour. Challenge yourself and at times, set the clock for half n hour in some times. This should definitely help you improve on your speed.

Hope this helps. Do let us know of your progress. Wish you the best.

www.manyagroup.com