Arithmetic mean

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

Arithmetic mean

by sachin_yadav » Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:04 am
Please help me in understanding the following points with the help of an example. These points are related to Arithmetic mean.

1.If in a set of numbers, the average = the highest or the lowest number, all the numbers will have to be equal.
2.If the average of a few consecutive integers is 0, then there will be an odd number of integers.

Regards
Sachin
Never surrender

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:15 am
sachin_yadav wrote:Please help me in understanding the following points with the help of an example. These points are related to Arithmetic mean.

1.If in a set of numbers, the average = the highest or the lowest number, all the numbers will have to be equal.
2.If the average of a few consecutive integers is 0, then there will be an odd number of integers.

Regards
Sachin
1. Without getting into a mathematical proof, the average value, is a value that best represents all of the values. How can the average turn out to be either the largest or smallest value AND be the value that best represents ALL values. They must be all equal

2. When all values are equally spaced, the mean = median. So, the median here is 0.
If the average = 0, then the SUM of all values = 0
So, each negative value must be canceled out by a positive value of equal size.
So, we have 0 as the middlemost values and PAIRS of values that cancel each other out (eg, -1 and 1)
0 plus a bunch of pairs means there is an ODD number of values altogether.

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

by sachin_yadav » Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:18 am
Thanks Brent,

Point 2 is fine.
Point 1: Ok, i think i am getting your point. Correct if i am wrong
average with the highest number = 4,4,4,4,5,5,5,5,5,5 = 4.6
average with the lowest number = 4,4,4,4,4,4,5,5,5,5 = 4.4

So, average cannot represent all values.

Sachin
Never surrender

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:15 am
sachin_yadav wrote:Thanks Brent,

Point 2 is fine.

Sachin
I'm not sure what you mean by "average with the lowest number," but consider a few things.
4,4,4,4,5,5,5,5,5,5: average = 4.6 (in other words, 4.6 best represents all of the values)
4,4,4,4,4,4,5,5,5,5 = 4.4 (in other words, 4.4 best represents all of the values)
Notice that, in both cases, the average is BETWEEN the highest and lowest values (of 4 and 5)

A few other examples;
1,2,3,4: average = 2.5 (in other words, 2.5 best represents all of the values)
Notice that 2.5 is BETWEEN the greatest value (4) and the lowest value (1)

6,6,6,6,7: average = 6.2 (in other words, 6.2 best represents all of the values)
Notice that 6.2 is BETWEEN the greatest value (7) and the lowest value (6)

Now consider the following
7,7,7,7,7,7,7,7: average = 7 (in other words, 7 best represents all of the values)
Notice that 7 = the greatest value = the lowest value

Does that help?

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

by sachin_yadav » Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:16 pm
I got it. The examples are pretty understandable.

Sachin
Never surrender

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:119 members
GMAT Score:780

by Matt@VeritasPrep » Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:13 am
sachin_yadav wrote:Please help me in understanding the following points with the help of an example. These points are related to Arithmetic mean.

Let's take the first statement conceptually. If all the numbers the same except for one, the distinct number will do something to the average: if it's GREATER than the rest of the terms, it will RAISE the average; if it's LESS than the rest of the terms, it will LOWER the average.

If we wanted to prove this, suppose we have a set of (n + 1) numbers, n of which are equal to x, and one of which is equal to y. Further suppose that the average is x. This gives us the equation

n*x + y
------- = x
n+1

or nx + y = x(n+1)
or nx + y = nx + x
or y = x

So the terms MUST all be the same.

The second assertion is similar. If the average is 0, then the sum of the positive integers and the sum of negative integers must cancel out. Since we have consecutive integers, any positive integer x in the set must be accompanied by the negative integer -x. (For instance, if we have 1, we must also have -1.) Hence we must HAVE two (one pos, one neg) of every absolute value, plus 0, giving us an odd number of terms.

by Mathsbuddy » Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:15 am
sachin_yadav wrote:Thanks Brent,

Point 2 is fine.

Sachin
Hi Sachin,

With your list of numbers for Point 1, your average of 4.6 does not equal the highest value of 5.
Therefore all values must be the same, e,g, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5. Top value = 5, average = 5.

Legendary Member
Followed by:24 members

by GMATinsight » Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:55 am

Regards
Sachin
In addition you may also note that Standard Deviation = 0 if the Average = Highest number or lowest number

Another view to verify the fact mentioned in point 1 is "Mean represent the middle value of the set and when the middle value is equal to Highest then certainly the lowest also must be equal to mean only.
"GMATinsight"Bhoopendra Singh & Sushma Jha
Most Comprehensive and Affordable Video Course 2000+ CONCEPT Videos and Video Solutions
Whatsapp/Mobile: +91-9999687183 l [email protected]
Contact for One-on-One FREE ONLINE DEMO Class Call/e-mail
Most Efficient and affordable One-On-One Private tutoring fee - US$40-50 per hour