Need Help on Reading Comprehension

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Need Help on Reading Comprehension

by asciijai » Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:10 pm
Hi Guys,

I'm 1 month into my GMAT prep and need help in how to go about RC's. I was doing pretty well 6 months back when i used to pick up random passages and solve them but when i actually started preparing for the GMAT I'm making a lot of mistakes and a lot of questions are going wrong. Please suggest me how to go about this because this is a confidence killer:(

Regards,
asciijai

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:02 am
Hi asciijai,

Are you running into the problem with RC more during your practice or during your CATs? One of the big factors in dealing with the Verbal section is how you handle fatigue. During a FULL CAT (and on Test Day), you'll spend the better part of 3 hours working before you even start the Verbal section, so it might be that you're running out of energy - that effect would most certainly impact your ability to answer questions correctly (as well as pay attention, take good notes, etc.).

While your problems might be "tactical" - meaning that you don't have a consistent method for dealing with RC, your problems might actually be more "physical" - meaning that you're too tired to work at a high level.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

by asciijai » Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:13 am
Hi Rich,

Thanks for the reply. I'm facing this problem in my practice and that just plummets my confidence as I used to do pretty well on RC. I need strategies which are time tested and following them would give me more clarity on the passage.

Regards,
asciijai

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:19 pm
Hi asciijai,

I'd like to know a bit more about how you're been studying and your timeline:

1) You mentioned how 6 months ago you doing well with RC, but now you're 1 month into your studies. What exactly were you doing 6 months ago? What materials were you using? Etc.

2) What GMAT materials are you now using to study with?
3) Have you taken any practice CAT tests? If so, then how did you score (please include your Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores)?
4) When are you planning to take the GMAT?
5) What is your goal score?

Rich

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:04 am
asciijai wrote:Hi Guys,

I'm 1 month into my GMAT prep and need help in how to go about RC's. I was doing pretty well 6 months back when i used to pick up random passages and solve them but when i actually started preparing for the GMAT I'm making a lot of mistakes and a lot of questions are going wrong. Please suggest me how to go about this because this is a confidence killer:(

Regards,
asciijai
Hi asciijai,

If you're interested, we have a free set of videos that cover all sorts of Reading Comprehension strategies: https://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat- ... prehension

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

by asciijai » Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:03 pm
Hi Rich,

I'm using the Manhattan GMAT strategy guides for my Prep.I have not taken any CAT's till now.I'm planning to take the GMAT in Feb 2015. And finally my target is 750.

Regards,
asciijai

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:26 pm
Hi asciijai,

With a February Test Date, you have plenty of time to continue studying and improving. A 750 score goal will take a lot of work and you'll probably need to invest in more than just some books to help you train to score at that level. To get a full assessment of your current abilities, you should plan to take a FULL-length practice CAT test sometime soon (possibly this weekend). You can download 2 free practice CATs from www.mba.com. It takes about 4 hours to complete a CAT, so make sure that you've set aside enough time to do so in one sitting. Once you have those scores, you should post back here. It's important to get a sense of your current strengths and weaknesses, so we can better plan out what you'll need to work on over the next few months; you'll also learn a bit about your pacing and your endurance.

Rich