GMAT 760 (Q49, V46)

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Followed by:1 members

GMAT 760 (Q49, V46)

by grassyknoll » Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:25 pm
Hi everyone,

this is my first post on the forum. I had heard a lot about the MBA forums but hadn't been active on any one of them. I had been procrastinating taking the GMAT since years, and finally took it two weeks earlier and scored a 760 (Q49, V46). While I am pleased with the score I think my quant could have been better. Also, I have a 5 in AWA and 5 in IR, which can be a problem while applying to schools. I could definitely have done better in those two sections.
My preparation was spread over 7 weeks and mostly consisted of problem solving, from Quant and verbal OGs from 2013 and OG15. These were the only books I used, though I did get a bunch of books from the local public library but could not read them either out of paucity of time or plain laziness. I am an engineer and a Comp. Science major, so brushing up the quant basics was not very difficult. Verbal however was a challenge and took almost 60% to 70% of my prep time. I took the two GMAT practice tests offered by MBA.com over the weekend immediately before the test and scored 660 and 700, respectively in them. Though I wish I had taken more tests. The test day was like a daze as I could not get as mush sleep as I had wanted, and the time whizzed past me a lot quicker than I had expected, I did not have the time to think whether I was doing well or not and the questions went past like a blur. I made use of all the breaks to drink water and go to the bathroom, and would strongly advise others to do it too, it relieves a lot of pressure during the test. I did pump my fist in the air after I saw the score, much to the chagrin of the lady who was the test admin, but I apologized and was just glad that the test was over. I did realize later that my Quant score in the 80th percentile is kinda low for an Indian engineer, but I am happy with the score and will not retake for sure.
Last edited by grassyknoll on Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:29 pm
Hi grassyknoll,

You've put together an amazing performance, so congratulations! To address your concerns about your AWA and IR scores - they're both fine - and neither of those scores will keep you from getting accepted at a Business School. What schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]